Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On December 3rd Robyn (our 8 year old daughter) told me that her right breast hurt, upon examining it, I discovered a lump under her nipple around the size of a dime. This was around 11:30 pm on a Friday night. I called the health line who told me to see a Dr with in three days.

On Monday December 6th I called our drs office to get her seen but was unable to get an appointment so I went to Emergency with her. I never saw a dr but I did see a nurse practitioner.

The nurse practitioner pretty much said to watch for signs of infection, fever, redness, swelling, any discharge from it, if it grew, etc. And if any of that happened to bring her back. And to also see our own dr so a regular eye could be kept on it.

Then she said it was possible that she was starting puberty changes. That the lump could go away and then she may get another one in the other side.

shes 8..... but of course they said it was still possible. and this nurse proceedes to tell me her daughter started her period when she was 9...

Anway fast forward a bit....

The lump has gotten bigger. So I called to make an appointment to see our own dr, but the earliest one I could get was December 29th.......but her secretary told me that our doctor was on walk-ins clinic on Tuesday December 14th. So I took her to walkins then.

My dr said "I am going to treat this as if it was my 8 year old daughter"

She checked it, and noted that it had grown since I first found it, and ordered some blood tests. Just the normal stuff, ESR, CBC, kidney and liver profiles. She then told me that we may have to get a biopsy done of it, and see a surgen. And she said "I'm assuming if she has to go to the Janeway, this won't be a problem" (the Janeway is the childrens hospital here in Newfoundland)

So we are quite nervous about this.

Her blood test results came back normal. And she was refereed to get an ultrasound done to check mass size etc.

In the meantime I was told to put a warm cloth on it 3 times a day for 20 minutes each time, incase there was an infection there, but the dr said she did not think there was an infection.

She also said she does not think that it is breast tissue developing.

So now we are playing the waiting game...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm so sorry this is happening. How frightening for both you and your daughter. Please keep us posted on what the dr. says, and if anything changes. My daughter started puberty at 8, but there weren't any lumps like you describe.

Scary.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I hope all turns out well for you and your daughter....treat it seriously, but try not to focus on the worst case scenarios until there's reason to do so. Sending very positive thoughts your way!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Please keep us informed! We'll all be thinking about you!

Reactions: Gibs

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree with Luckybustert - keep working on it but you need to have positive thoughts. When I was reaching puberty, I had lumps in my breasts and was told to put warm washcloths on them. Everything was normal as I will pray that the same will be for your daughter.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are keeping a positive out look, and are trying not to worry to much, I do not want my daughter to get scared or stressed over this. I have told her that it could be that she is starting to develop, she is ok with that. She knows she has to have an ultrasound, and she knows it is possible that she will need a biopsy, because the dr said that after examining her. She asked what a biopsy was and I explained it in very easy terms for her that she could understand without scaring her.

I don't want any uncessary worrying and stress to ruin her holidays or cause more worry then need be.

So we are being very calm about it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm not sure where my hug button went for your first post, but please know you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope this is a whole lot of nothing to worry about!

But I do urge you to try and stop yourself from googling anything associated with the lump or fears of diseases your daughter might have. Hold your family tight, stay here for support but don't let you mind get ahead of itself.

·
27,948 Posts
Your attitude is just what your dd needs, you rock Mom.
Thinking good thoughts for you both.:hug2:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Prayers...

have been sent.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Prayers for you and your daughter! Keep positive!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Hugs and prayers for both of you! Keep us updated. :hugz:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Please let us know how this turns out. I'm going to be praying for your little girl. It's probably nothing...that's my feeling anyway. I hope that I'm right. Young breast tissue is very dense and sometimes rather lumpy/bumpy and if you drink a lot of caffeine it can cause pain. I had a lump in my teens or maybe I was 20...it was nothing...probably a cyst. I also had breast pain in both breasts if I drank too many caffeinated drinks. I've also had a breast abscess and that was excrutiatingly painful...only childbirth was worse. Take care and try not to let her get scared. It'll probably be fine. Hugs!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My daughter also got them around 7 started on the right side and around 4 months later the other side got one they were the size of a dime by 9 they were a quarter size and she his puberty the knots went away they she rounded off her breast I was told it was normal she is 23 now and never have had problems, but as a mother always get her checked.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for the prayers, and positive thoughts, they are very much appreciated.

The lump is bigger in the nipple area, and then growing more oval towards her arm pit, but that part is a little different from the initial lump that is directly under the nipple.

My feelings are rather calm, so I am not really expecting it to be anything serious....Hopefully Puberty changes, but in my mind I kind of think it may be a cyst. Hopefully it goes away on its own and does not have to be removed.

Shes doing rather well, does not seem to be scared by it. So we are keeping the calm feelings about it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I am no doctor, but from what I have learned is that sometimes this happens to children when they are about to start puberty. The lumps can develope in one breast or both. Sometimes they will go away on their own and sometimes they can remain for 2 yrs before disappearing. My 12 yr old son has the same thing going on right now. At first it was both breasts, now its only one. You were wise to consult a doctor to keep an eye on this.Its encouraging that the blood tests are coming back normal:) I will keep your daughter in prayer. *hugs*

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.