Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what happened, but lately..ie..everyday..he feels compelled to stop at McDonalds and eat breakfast before work..it bothered me a little bit 2 weeks ago, but now, it is really making me chomp at the bit..He is WASTING $30 a week!!!!!! Anyone have any suggestions? I think maybe it is my fault, because I haven't gotten up with him for the last month (I have lupus and it's REALLY bad right now)...but still it's the point..anyone have any breakfast sandwich recipes that I could make ahead and freeze for him? How do I approach this issue..it is truly driving me insane~I thought we were both on-board, but I guess not :nerv2: Maybe it's just a phase???? LOL

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I did up a large batch of homemade egg, sausage & cheese biscuits and froze them for dh & I before I started this last semester at college. It would be even easier to make homemade egg mcmuffins (no need to make biscuits) or with the frozen biscuits or even the tube biscuits.

I did a semi-tutorial on my blog:
http://frugalfood.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have to admit, on the weekends I tend to stop at fast food for breakfast. But more to the point, you can make sausage and biscuits and freeze them, as well as breakfast burritos, egg mcmuffins, etc. Also you can bake up a breakfast casserole, cut it into servings sizes and put them in containers then freeze them.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ask him if he feels that he is getting $1,560 worth of satisfaction out of it because that is the yearly cost (52x30) which would make a pretty decent vacation fund!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did up a large batch of homemade egg, sausage & cheese biscuits and froze them for dh & I before I started this last semester at college. It would be even easier to make homemade egg mcmuffins (no need to make biscuits) or with the frozen biscuits or even the tube biscuits.

I did a semi-tutorial on my blog:
http://frugalfood.wordpress.com/
How do I freeze them?..and how does he microwave them?..Scrambled eggs?
Thanks for the imput!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I wrapped them in plastic wrap individually, flash froze them (explained on the blog) then put them in a freezer bag.

To heat up, I removed the plastic wrap (I have a thing about plastic in the microwave) and wrapped two at once in a paper towel. Then I microwaved for 30 seconds on high, turned them over then microwaved them for another 30 seconds on high.

Next time I make them I'm going to use cheddar rather than American. The American cheese practically disintegrated in the microwave.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I make these for hubby and DD. They love em and a few of these muffins are filling and portable.

Breakfast Meat Muffins

1/4 cup oil
1 cup milk
1 med egg
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons baking powder
2 cups AP flour

The Add-in's: 1/2-3/4 cup finely chopped ham, or 6 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon, or 1/2 cup cooked, finely chopped sausage. You can also add 1/2 cup shredded cheese.

In a large bowl, combine the oil, egg, milk, sugar and salt. Mix it well with a fork or wire whisk. Measure in the baking powder and flour. Mix again until all of the dough particles are moistened. Add in your choice of meat and cheese, mix gently until well combined, but do not over mix. The whole thing should take about 20-30 strokes. Spoon batter into a dozen well oiled muffin cups. bake 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven and cool slightly before removing muffins from pan.

This recipe makes a dozen muffins and can be made the night before. they freeze well and can be popped in microwave to reheat.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
You've gotten some good advice, so I'm just offering some :hugz:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I would discuss it with him and if it something he really enjoys maybe ask him to cut it to 1 or 2 days a week. that way it gives him his treat and at least it is not quiet so much money.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I will try to post this again.

Waffles and pancakes can be made and frozen. Try writing a message on the outer wrapping with permanent marker. This way he will know you are thinking about him when you may be still sleeping.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Get em' Girl!!!!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
:hug2:

that is all.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
that stuff is deadly,, have him watch the biggest loser,,see 400lb men ,, might change his mind

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the same problem with DH. If I have time, I will make homemade egg mcmuffins or breakfast burritos. Usually I will just buy the microwavable Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits. Stil expensive but better than eating out every morning!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
that stuff is deadly,, have him watch the biggest loser,,see 400lb men ,, might change his mind
Have you read the book Fast Food Nation? Or seen the movie "Supersize Me"?

Those two turned me off of McD's *really fast*!!!!

Hugs to you, I know its hard, and I like the idea of maybe getting your husband to cut it back to maybe a once a week treat? Maybe this is kind of how he deals with your illness when you are having a hard time? Its probably hard for him to see you so tired and drained - he might think he's making life easier on you by not having to worry about breakfast.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Lots of good advice already...just sending lots of hugs your way dear. I've seen Lupus in action. You don't need this added stress.

Jean

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yikes! I told my dh how much the cost was for the breakfast everyday for a year and he added up how much we spent last year eating out ( before frugality kicked in for us) and ours was about 6000 dollars!!!!! SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS literally flushed down the toilet (except for what has decided to take up permenancy on me, that is) That just makes me sick....oh the things I could have done with that 6000......sigh.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
A bowl of oatmeal, nuked in the microwave, takes only 3 minutes. Stir a spoonful of peanut butter in (or not). It is so yummy, and WAY better for his HEART! Those breakfast sandwiches will lead to premature DEATH!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts