Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a new thing for me, but the dishwasher we have was with the house when we bought it and I'm guessing it's only about 5-7 years old. They did not have paperwork for it or a warranty, etc., so I'm guessing there. But...it's a terrible dishwasher, and quite frankly, I don't want to buy a new one, nor do I have the time after work (when it starts up again) to wash all the dishes by hand. The glasses all have crap in the bottom, almost like it's being shot upwards from the dirty dishes on the bottom rack into the bottom of the glasses on the top rack. The plates always have stuff stuck on them, and the silverware is rarely clean. I seriously have to scrub stuff before putting it in the dishwasher which is a waste of time, energy, and money/water. Whenever dh is the one turning it on, he puts it on power wash or pots and pans, thinking that it will blast the garbage outta there, but that doesn't work any better than the regular wash. Any suggestions or thoughts? I just hate to pay for a repairman to come out, although, I think I may need to just bite the bullet.

·
27,948 Posts
Sorry your having problems Amy. Clogged waterjet holes? Maybe a good cycle with vinegar?:confused:
Hate to say it but it might be easier and cheaper to replace the thing. If you don't get all the bells and whistles on it they are relatively inexpensive. Then you'd have the papers & warrenty.

Maybe someone else has a cheaper better idea. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Mine is old too and been doing the same thing, I changed from a powder cleaner to one of the new gels and have not had that problem since. Maybe that will work for you too.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I had almost the exact same problem in July... things, especially glasses, were coming out more dirty than when they went in. We had a similar situation all around-- the dishwasher came with the house and without any paperwork.

DH and I finally decided to go get a new one. We figured by the time we paid a repairman and messed around with everything, we could have a new one. So, the guy comes to install the new one, and tells us he sees nothing wrong with the old one-- it's our water. We apparently need to start using the water softener that came with our house (another inherited appliance without any paperwork). We went ahead with the new dishwasher, and love it, but, there are still some glasses that get a white film on them every time. It's on our to-do list this month to figure out how to use the water softener.

I don't know if that helps you, but :hugz:... I've been exactly where you are, and I know how incredibly frustrating it is!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts