Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my dog out at 11:30 last night and he was sprayed by a skunk. It was the worst smell I have ever smelled. I wasn't even sure it was a skunk, it was soooo bad! He came in throwing up and coughing. I thought it was a chemical he got into. I was so scared because it really didnt smell like skunk. I got all the girls out of the house, called my husband home from work and we stayed in the van until he got home. We ended up deodorizing the house until about 2 a.m. and needless to say it didnt help much. I just brought him to the pet store and $58.00 later he is getting deskunked. I hope it works. Any suggestions out there on how to get rid of the odor. We have neutralizing rug powder, Lysol and fabrize. Nothing is helping. I put baking soda all over the rugs and let it sit and then vac'd it up. We were supposed to go tubing today but this has taken first priority. Not the way I want to spend the day.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
You probably could have saved yourself some money and bathed the dog in tomato juice. I saw that on an episode of The Waltons.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
put dishes of viniger around......... or broken up carcoal. You could have used viniger on you dog just keep it away from you dogs eyes
Fern

·
Registered
820 Posts
The only one I ever heard of was give a bath in tomato juice.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
tomato juice we use to use, but the smell will last for at least a week. and I found the vet stuff doesnt make any differnce and more money.

·
Registered
902 Posts
we have friends that had a dog that was always getting "skunked." Their vet recommended a bath in "Head and Shoulders" -seemed to do the trick. Good luck!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
My neighbor's dog got sprayed, and they got Massengel Douche. It worked. My neighbor said he was never so embarrassed when he had to go and buy a case of it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
My neighbor's dog got sprayed, and they got Massengel Douche. It worked. My neighbor said he was never so embarrassed when he had to go and buy a case of it.
OMG!!! I am cracking up right now-I couldn't even imagine my DH walking into a store to buy this....

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
ROFL I can only imagine what a letter to the Massingil company would be like for a praise of that product. :D

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am so sorry this happend to your dog! Not to mention your house, when I was in college I lived with my dad and the back porch got sprayed by a skunk. The skunk must have become startled under the porch and sprayed. It smelled awful, I almost threw up. The whole house smelled terrible for over a week. I had to leave and stay with my mom for a few days. I used baking soda on all our furniture (then vacuumed it up), febreeze (scented) spray on the furniture, room deodorizer like Oust. I kept the windows open all day for about three days in a row. I also kept the front door open (the end of the house where the skunk hadn't sprayed.) It took about a week to seem like the smell had subsided. That smell was in my nose though, for a long time! I will never forget it, up close that smell is more like a pungent and toxic make your eyes sting and water rotting onion explosion. My dad wasn't home when the skunk sprayed, he claimed that after a couple days he couldn't smell anything. That's why I think the smell was in my nose.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Ive heard of bathing in tomatoe juice which could have saved alot of money then taking him to the groomers, eventually the smell will go away, hopefully it will warm up around your area enough to open the windows a bit to air out your home.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help ladies!!!
I did try to do some of it myself with shampoo but he was soooo bad I can not even describe. He refuses to get into my tub for us to bathe him and he is 76 pounds and it was very cold out so I couldn't have done it outside. I would probably still be cleaning up the tomato juice everywhere. He is so difficult to do his nails and ears so there is no way I could have done it myself. The groomer said he got it in his face and especially around his left ear, eye, neck and in his mouth, that is why he was vomiting when he came in. He does smell a whole lot better but I don't think it will be gone completely anytime soon. I hated to spend the money but he is so handsome now and smelling like green apple! much better than skunk!
I hope he learns his lesson and stays away from them. The trouble is our cat is black and white and he probably thought he was chasing another cat.

I will try leaving some vinager and baking soda again especially on the porch where it is the worst. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
LOL, the only thing i could think of is to take him to the vets office. Sit there a few minutes, no appointment. I bet you get a buncha smell removal tips...maybe even samples! :laugh:

·
Registered
746 Posts
# 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
# 1/4 cup of baking soda
# 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap

Mix the 3 and immediately bathe dog with all of it. Allow it to remain on his/her fur for a few minutes then rinse and repeat.

For your house, febreeze and lots of cleaning. Get enzymatic or Oxygen cleaners, the bubbles trap the stink molecules.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Here's the KSU remedy from a veterinary technician:

1 qt hydrogen peroxide
1/4 c baking SODA (not b powder)
1 tsp liquid dish soap, like Dawn

Mix well. Wet dog thoroughly and work it in like a shampoo. Rinse with tap water.

Tomato juice doesn't work. Neither does vinegar. This stuff chemically neutralizes the smell. Be sure to put a bland opthalmic ointment in the eyes before treating.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
ME too. You've made my night!!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I hope everything is smelling better around your house by now. I am putting the remedy on a card in my recipe box and I am going to put aside the peroxide and baking soda in my dog supply cabinet just incase. I have three westies and it is time for the skunks to be getting out more. :nerv2:

Thanks
Katie

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry this happened to you--we've been able to avoid it so far. But it's skunk mating season and my dogs are curious about every critter that comes through our yard. Our neighbor has a raised shed that's very popular with skunks, so I expect it every year lol!

I've heard the peroxide treatment really works, but can kind of bleach the fur. Still better than the alternative!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts