Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"I hope that our kids learn some important life lessons from our family’s reprioritization. I want them to understand that just because you can buy something, doesn’t mean that you should buy it. Just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you have to. I hope they view happiness as an internalized condition instead of something that can be purchased or earned. "

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
That pic was just the kids' playroom and I gather they encouraged kids being outside a lot more. That could work well depending on where you live (no locale was mentioned in the article). Some climates are consistent and you can get by with minimal wardrobe and lots of outdoor time. Where I live we're ranging from 0 to 100 degrees (factoring in wind chill and heat index) so more extensive wardrobe required. She mentioned a lot of things in the home were broken or not used. Yeah, either fix or get rid of broken stuff.... she rightly refers to that as "junk".

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
sounds like she just hadn't decluttered for a long time. with kids that is ongoing ! I used to do it twice a year spring and fall. switching out clothes etc. plus the rest of the house when I got to it. having kids in less activities is a common idea too. though good she did something like this while on lockdown.

·
Super Moderator
20,320 Posts
I think the author was in Dallas.

It seems odd not to have furniture such as tables for drawing, games, Legos, schoolwork, puzzles, infinite reasons. A nice big rug is great for relaxing, too, but furniture of some kind still is needed.

It does sound like they got rid of lots of junk, something a lot of people can relate to. Clutter is an ongoing battle.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't see anything that suggested they got rid of all their furniture and the kids couldn't sit at the kitchen/dining table and paint, play games or do homework. She doesn't really say what they got rid of, but mentions toys, kitchen gadgets and closets. We all have that kind of clutter.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
20,320 Posts
I didn't say they got rid of all their furniture. The pic shows the playroom with no furniture. Maybe it's on the wall behind the camera. The point of a play room is to provide a place to play, not go play in some other room. It just seems odd not to provide a table and chairs when so many activities and toys almost require them, and not to have that furniture where the toys are stored if space allows. Little kids especially need child size furniture. Sometimes kids are in the middle of something when a kitchen table is needed, too, so they have to pick everything up and start all over again some other time. BTDT x 8, and it was a PITA for all involved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts