Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like such a grown-up!

I had bought my car in February this year when my previous car was totaled. I put the money from the insurance as a downpayment, and took out a loan of about $6,600. I'd been paying it off month by month, and also putting money into savings.

Well, I recently got a second job, and came into a little amount of money that was owed to me from my previous job, plus other things that were owed to me but never paid.

I tossed and turned for 2 weeks, wondering if I should keep the money in savings (so I would have extra cash) or pay off the car loan (The payoff was about $5,700).

I finally realized, that if I paid off the loan, I'd still have plenty of money in savings for any emergency, and I'd have to pay the money eventually, might as well do it while I can. :)

And now I feel so great! I can honestly say that it is my car, and I paid for it all by myself!

Still working on that student loan debt though...:)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Way to go! What a relief to have that monthly bill on your concious. :clap:

·
19,119 Posts
Hope you're as proud of yourself as we are!! Great decision and congrats!!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
:clap: Good job, great decision!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pay it off!

When my momm passed a couple years ago, she left me $10,000. I promptly paid off my 2005 Ford Focus and have NEVER regreted it. My husband figures I saved myself at least 5k in interest.

1/4 acre gets paid off in a couple of weeks and hopefully one of our VISA cards.

We hope to be totally out of debt, with the exception of our mortgage, by July of next year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of my best friends (who is also in his 20s) told me I'm crazy, that I should enjoy my youth and live it up!

I told him I'm living it up by paying off my debt so I can continue to live it up down the road. :-D

Thank you everyone for your replies! It feels great having that monthly payment gone, and knowing that my debt is much smaller.

Reactions: Darlene

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Think of how hard you'll be able to hit that student loan now! Great job, we're proud of you!

·
27,948 Posts
What a smart grown-up you are! :rockon:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
YAY! Good for you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.