Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all --well I finally got brave enough to make my first batch of CP soap ---it was made with coconut oil, olive oil, cocoa butter, palm oil and castro oil ---and of course lye and water.

I'm going to attempt to attach 2 pictures ---one of me suited up to tackle the lye - lol

And the second one of the soap drying --I made it yesterday and demolded it this morning --It need to cure for several weeks --but I've already tested it and it seems quite nice. I scented the soap with asian sandalwood --and tried swirling colors with spice - but it mostly stayed on the top. Oh well next time.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
WTG! :thumb: That's something I'd like to try someday, I just haven't found the time yet. It looks great & I'll bet it smells wonderful.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Oh Sher you look so cute in the mask. :) You were smart to wear it.

Whohoo! Your soap looks great! I'm so proud of you.:D

What does CP mean? Cold press? I couldn't remember.:bang:

You sure got a lot of bars out of that first batch. :D

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I want to learn and do soapmaking this year, I want to try some swirled soaps as well. I have to remind myself "Patience Grasshopper..." and to try to learn the basics first.

What does CP mean? How did you make this soap? Tell us all about it! :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx Amy, Carolyn and Mrseneseth ---CP stands for cold process ---vs HP which is hot process. Both of these processes basically are the same as far as ingredients --(including lye of course) --but in the cold process, you melt and heat your oils, you add the lye to the water and then you combine the two. You stir until it gets to what they call "trace"(like a pudding) then you pour in molds. Unlike the HP they stir the combinations over heat while it goes thru various stages and then pour it into molds. The CP soap takes longer to cure --whereas the HP can be used within a few days.

If you're interested in learning how --I highly recommend
www.candletech.com ---they have a B&B forum with a tutorial on both kinds of these processes and the people are all very helpful and make some beautiful swirled bars. I hope to be able to get that good some day.:)

Sher

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
WTG on your first batch of CP soap Sher. You did a great job! I've been making soap for about 3 years now both cold and hot process. My first batch of swirl was not much of a success. Someone told me to layer the soap and then swirl. It did work much better. You do have to work fast!:D

·
Registered
312 Posts
That's gorgeous soap, and I had to grin over the mask.

Soapmaking is on my todo list this year, too. You're giving me hope that I can handle it.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I bet the sandalwood is nice! Great job!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I love CP soap. I need to make some more..............:D

Your soap looks great......;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts