Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past six months we went through alot. My Mom had a massive stroke in May. She past away in the beginning of October. My husband is self employed and the motor died in his kenworth. SO we had to go in debt for a new truck. This is my personal goal to try to save money were I can.
Today I went to the local bent and dent store and spent $47.99 sounds like alot but I did really well. Here is what I got.
2packs cheese tortelloni
1 lb jalopeno cheese &onion franks
2 bottles of sno-bol toilet cleaner
1 bottle ketchup
2 qts. mayo
sandwich bags
plastic wrap
1 box couscous mix
1 box of stove top stuffing
1box of cereal bars
1 box of granola bars
1 box of hamburger helper
3 pk wet wipes
1 box chocolates
16 cans of beans
6 cans of fruit
28 cans of veggies
24 cans of soup
7 cans of gravy
30 large cans of tomatoes
9 cans of manwich
5 cans of spaghetti sauce

·
Registered
980 Posts
Wow, it is amazing the difference of how much you get for your money depending on where you shop. Good deal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, it is amazing the difference of how much you get for your money depending on where you shop. Good deal.
Thanks we are trying to save money how ever we can right now to get us over this rough stretch.............Lori

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm sorry about your mother.

I wish I had a salvage or scratch and dent store near me - looks like good deals.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Sorry about your mom. That great deal on the groceries. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I did two loads of laundry. I hung them in the basement. We have a wood stove in the basement for our primary heat. We get our wood for free so that is a big savings. Meals today were scrapple for breakfast, haluski ( cabbage noodle casserole for lunch), and bake rotini for dinner. I also made apple sauce today with free apples a friend gave me. We did use gas today. We butcher 3 hogs and gave our 3 kids and my in-laws half of ahog for part of their CHRISTmas present. Tonight we should be at home for the evening. I am planning on doing some sewing...........................Lori

·
Registered
528 Posts
It sounds like you are doing very well on cutting down on spending. Great idea with giving 1/2 a hog for Christmas gifts. You know for sure that it will be used and help them with their expenses also. :cheergrl:

Monner

·
Registered
528 Posts
It sounds like you are doing very well on cutting down on spending. Great idea with giving 1/2 a hog for Christmas gifts. You know for sure that it will be used and help them with their expenses also. :cheergrl:

Monner

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Monner
I know the idea of half a hog for CHRISTmas is not the conventional gift, but my kids and my in-laws loved the idea. Today the only driving I did was to go to church this morning. (that is the one bad thing about living in the country you have to drive everywhere.) Meal today were scrapple for breakfast, leftover rotini for lunch and sausage gravy mixed veggies and mashed potatoes for dinner. The most frugal thing for me today, my husband and I split and ranked 3 pickup loads of wood................Lori

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got up early this morning with my DH. I packed his lunch and made coffee. I reused the coffe grounds then for my own coffee. breakfast was homemade bread toasted. I will eat some of the leftover sausage gravy for lunch. Dinner is going to be potato soup and hotdogs. I have potatoes that I need to use. I did one load of laundry which is hanging in the basement to dry. I have been doing housework trying to get caught up, I am really behind with that because of taking care of my Mom. I would like to try and get some more of my sewing caught up today.................Lori

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yesterday I went to work with my DH. That is the one good thing with being self employed. We had toast for breakfast. I packed us a lunch and coffee. Dinner lastnight was leftover rotini. I have to go to the butcher shop this morning and pick up the rest of our meat, they were smoing it for us. While I am out doing errands I am also going to stop at the bent and dent store and the thrift shop. I am hoping to get some sewing done today also. I have been working on CHRISTmas gifts for 2009...............Lori

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sounds like you're doing great Lori. & you sound really organized! Sorry to hear about your mother, how nice that you were able to spend that time with her, it's realy precious.
The meat for xmas is a good idea, my dd22 & partner were given half a beast last xmas by partners parents, it lasted them for ages. Plus in our family we like practical gifts. ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yesterday I picked the rest of our meat up from the butcher shop,they were smoking it for us. I stopped by the bent and dent store and they were closed. The next stop was the thrift shop. I got my husband three flannel shirts at a $1 a piece. I was planning on going to work with my husband today, but I felled last night bring wood into the house. I am pretty sore so I am just taking it easy today.......Lori

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Over the weekend my MIL and I went shopping. I did't feel guilty , I used the money I have recieved for my birthday. We had such a great time. I am still cooking all of over meals and doing all of the same frugal stuff as usual. The most frugal buy for me this weekend was my turkey I bought a 29lb. turkey for $13.65. Today so far my DH and I had toast for breakfast, I packed his lunch and made coffe for him for work. Tonights dinner will be beef and home made noodles..............Lori

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yesterday I went to work with my DH. When I go with him I always take my knitting along, I am working on CHRISTmas gifts for 2009. Today I went to the local thrift store. I bought 20 skeins of yarn for $5, That will make a couple a Christmas gifts for next year. Next eyear the family is discussing having a make or bake CHRISTmas were everything has to be handmade. This idea I love I hope my kids stick with it.................Lori

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!! My husband would not let me cook this year . He said I was deal with enough of stress with my Mom just passing away. We went to a local restuarant. The food was great. I went to pay our bill ( there were 14 people at our table) and the owner told me there was no charge. The owner told me this was his away of repaying the community. What a Blessing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will have my oldest granddaughter with me for a couple of days. She and I will be sewing........Lori

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just read the whole thread... and wow, I wish I had a Scratch and Dent store.
It really likes like overall - you are doing an awesome job! Keep it up!

Reactions: lori17048

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a great time this weekend with my Granddaughter. We decorated for the holidays. She made a couple of Barbie blankets and pillows. Just done the same old stuff over the weekend, to be frugal. Hopeful tomarrow I will work on my own sewing............Lori

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday I went to work with DH. I got one pair of slippers knitted for 2009 CHRISTmas. My kids decided to do a make or bake or $10 gifts for CHRISTmas 20009. DH and I decided to do a combination of buying gifts and handmade gifts. So I alreasy started making gifts and making a klist of what I can make. DH and I would like to see how frugal we can be for 2009 CHRISTmas. I have still been doing to same frugal stuff to save money....................Lori

1 - 20 of 65 Posts