Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are so self absorbed and impolite!!
Dh cooked a nice dinner (by himself) no one helped. We ate and now he is cleaning up by himself. I can't cuz I am working, I made our kids help clean up and the rest (4 adults with no kids here) just sit and watch tv. Next we will give presents and we will not get but maybe one and the kids will get crap. They have money, but buy junk. Instead of getting one semi good present they give the kids a lot of presents all of which is no better than a mcdonadls toy.

So on x-mas we are gonna be at the in-laws and I am torn between being nice and polite and help, ect. and show them how to be a nice guest. Or just be like them and not do a thing. Which I am sure will go unnoticed..

Any other ideas on how to act?

TIA

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I know it will be hard, but I think it would be best to act as a guest in their house how you'd like a guest in your house to act. :) But they don't have to know what you ate THINKING the whole time! ;)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Well Kim, my advice is probably not what you want to hear at this moment. I just think that you should always put your best foot forward. Some people say kill them with kindness. For me, the best medicine when I am not at my best is for someone else to be at theirs, it makes me feel like I deserve to feel...

I am sorry that you are unnoticed, I have been in those shoes. Merry Christmas friend.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I agree with Melissa and Robin. Like Melissa said, they don't have to know what you are thinking. ;) It will be over,soon. :hug2:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
:yeah: Yep, I understand your idea of wanting to do nothing and act like them, but, I always think it's better to teach by example. I'd paste on a smile for a few hours and show them how civilized society acts. ;)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that is what I will do. What I always do. But if they could read minds! I would not be the favorite daugher/sister-in law any more.:D

That is also the reason we get a hotel room so we can get away!

The good point is that DH feels the same way I do. So I al least have the most immortant ali.

And a few stiff egg nogs will help dull my senses:toothy:

I will be an :angel2:

but I will be thinking like a :fuming:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
They're right - "Do unto others" is probably the best (albeit not the most pleasant) rule to live by......

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Good luck to you....I understand completely how you feel! But you will be doing the right thing by being polite, etc.

Can't wait to hear how it goes.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
AmyMCGS said:
:yeah: Yep, I understand your idea of wanting to do nothing and act like them, but, I always think it's better to teach by example. I'd paste on a smile for a few hours and show them how civilized society acts. ;)
:yeah:

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I hope things went well. Thinking of you.:)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh it was fine. There was a new niece, a month or so old and I held her a lot during dish time so I was kind of helping but not really:D

There is one SIL, that I think could find falt in Jesus, who got on my nerves but then I turned it into a game for my self and every thing she found bad I found the good and told her about it just like she has to tell everyone about the bad side of everything. I think I got on her nerves.:toothy: Yah me!!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
:D

Glad you were able to turn things around on her and have fun doing it! :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts