Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I went to another store and worked in their bakery with this girl for 3 days. She is showing me bacically how do to the cakes that they do.

I was suppose to be there this week for 3 more days to continue training.

The first day all I did was cupcakes, which I clearly know how to do. Ice and put sprinkles (she did not know what else for me to do). Yesterday she had me clean the bakery all day (mind you we do this before we leave...we clean up really good). Then today I get in and she has me clean the bakery again for 9 hours. So much for training!!! Tommorow is my last day and I am just scared out of my mind because Thursday I start @ my store.

No big deal right? Someone will be there to help me. WRONG. Everyone who works in the bakery @ my store are off on Thursday. I will be alone. Well, I can just ask my store manager right? WRONG. She is off. Well I can just call the girl who was training me right? WRONG. She is off to. What in the world am I suppose to do???

When I ask the girl training me how I am suppose to know what to do when I get there she says someone will show me around and let me know. Well, no one is gonna be there.

She won't show me how to use the mixers or the dishwasher or anything because its different at the store I am gonna be at. Well who is going to show me???

To make matters worse, the bakery manager @ the store I am going to be working at just got transferred so he is no longer there and some new guy is coming in.

I am just so upset. I can see myself going there Thursday and just standing there looking around at what am I suppose to be doing here???

Its so much MORE than decorating cakes...which is fine, but my training SUCKED.

And the other problem is, everyone is like IN LOVE with the girl who is training me (who hates her job btw...) so its not like I can say well, my training sucked...because I can SEE it causing problems...

I am just balling right now.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That does really suck! Wow, how do they expect you to be there all by yourself when they didn't show you what to do!? Wishing you luck... I am sure that you will figure things out. Try not to stress too much. Will be sending positive thoughts your way on Thursday. :hugz:

Reactions: AnW819

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much. I have no idea what they are thinking but its ridicules. Forgot to add...store manager wanted me to work Friday to...did not tell me she wanted me to work hanging tags. I found out from my trainer. How sneaky. I am not a tag hanger, I am suppose to work in the bakery!!!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
tag hanger????? that isn't in your job description. And all that cleaning for hours!!
I will be praying for your Thursday miracle my friend!!!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Well, first of all, DO NOT BAIL

Secondly - you need to go to your manager and tell her that you aren't sure that got trained on what you should have been trained on. Tell her how you spent your training time, and ask her if that was what she was supposed to get from it.

You also MIGHT *POLITELY* ask - is tag hanging something bakery employees routinely do? Or is it filler when the bakery is slow?

You need to remember what is going to happen if you just up and quit.

You've got a bad relationship situation going on right now that, if it doesn't get better, means you NEED this job until at least you've got something else lined up.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would never quit a job. I am not like that. Not matter how bad it got, I would never ever think about quitting. Its one of the good traits I got :)

As far as the tags...I worked for this company before. I hung the tags when I worked there before...so they know I know how to do it and they need someone to fill, so---me.

I will not be able to even speak to the manager til Friday...she is off til then--so I have no idea what I am going to do.

Wish for a miracle.

I know this job right now sucks...but a few months from now when I know what is going on I am sure I will like it...its just right now. My anxiety is like going crazy...Thursday is gonna be panic attack after panic attack.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Ok - then lets address the panic.

What is the absolute worst that can happen Thursday?

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Have to agree with Greebo darn it...hmm...

You can't quit. Honey, most people don't like their job ALL the time. In fact, very few. Hate to be blunt but sometimes you just got to suck it up. Put a big smile on your face and think "Screw you". But don't quit. Have a feeling you're going to need it.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What the worst that can happen...I can go in Thursday morning...not know where anything is. Not remember how to do the cakes correctly (which I already don't really remember...), run out of buttercream to do the cakes and not know how to use the mixer, stand there and cry in front of everyone...have a customer ask me someone and have no idea what they are talking about and panic in front of them. There is a ton of stuff that can go wrong. Worst case...I get fired.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Ok - worst case, you get fired.

And if you get fired, what happens?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Yes but - if you get fired, you know what you'll need to do and how to do it, right?

It won't be GREAT - but you'll survive it - you've survived it before, you can survive it again, right?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes...true. I am more so anxious about people being like omg what did she do back here? Or omg what did she mess up!! I will deal with it...its 8 hours. Then I can come home and go to bed.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Sure, I understand that - but NOW you have thought through the absolute worst possible situation, right? And you KNOW you can survive that!

So if that's the absolute WORST possible situation, then NOTHING that happens at work can be AS BAD as the worst case situation. And if you can survive the worst case, you can survive whatever happens at work.

Which means if you do mess up - AND you know, you probably will at some point sooner or later - so rather WHEN you do mess up, you know you can survive the worst that can happen - so nothing else is all that bad.

·
Registered
867 Posts
You can always plaster a sweet smile, say "I'm sorry, it's my first day, please bear with me" and try your best. Someone will be around for a major question/problem. They didn't leave you in charge of the store. Just breathe, breathe, breathe. Repeat as necessary. lol:)

·
Registered
844 Posts
"Not remember how to do the cakes correctly (which I already don't really remember...), run out of buttercream to do the cakes and not know how to use the mixer"

So today, instead of cleaning, you sit next to her with a pen and paper and write down everything she does, to the ounce and the minute. Write down which buttons she presses and in which order. Don't do anything else. Take pictures with your cellphone or digital camera to show the in-between stages and tricky bits. Tell her that by now, you consider your cleaning-training over and get on to cake-training.

On Thursday, you bring these papers to work, with your cellphone/camera and get going!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
when i start a new job i get there way early and take stock of the situation. take a mental inventory of your supplies. find everything. edit: running a chemistry laboratory is just like running a bakery.

you are in sole charge of a bakery. so you have to make the product, keep orders straight, make the daily products, order supplies (find old orders to see quantities they ordered in the past) and clean up at the end of the day.

breathe - you are capable and smart.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
The first week or so I started working at the water department my favorite phrase to say to customers was, "Please bear with me, I'm still learning all the ins and outs of my new job." I also always made sure to thank them for their patience!!

Do the best you can with the resources and training that have been made available to you.

I would make sure that you let someone know the training was not what you expected--don't necessarily critique the trainer. Something more generic as in, "i thought I would get more hands on training regarding x,y,z, as opposed to being trained on a,b,c." They can't fix the training if they don't know it's broke, you know?

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts