Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my job is driving me crazy. I had mentioned in another post, around xmas time, that they were cutting hours,even thought they were still hiring, and the problems that it was causing with everyone at the store. Now they have started new shananigans. get this. If you were working at a register, you were required to ask the customers if they wanted to apply for a store visa card. I have no problem with asking customers if I am at a register. Now they have made it so even if you are working on the selling floor waiting on customers, you have to ask them if they want to apply for a credit card. The management has said we have to ask every customer who we come in contact with. I dont feel comfortable asking people on the selling floor, I asked if I have to do it, I was told yes, if I didnt I would be breaking the rules, so I am doing it. Customers are now starting to get upset,one told me very angrily, that I was the 4th person to ask her, and to leave her alone she also yelled at the cashier.
They have gone back to cutting hours. Instead of my 40 hours I have been getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 28-32. at least it covers my ins. but doesnt leave much more. They are using the slowing down of business after xmas.
At a store meeting one of the asst. managers made a speech about how there are some employees who dont work as hard as others. That they are "taking the hours from someone else who would come in and work hard." He also asked for "all employees to keep an eye on eachother,and let management know if you notice someone who isnt working hard or standing talking to another employee. he mentioned that some punch back from lunch then to out on the floor for a few minutes, then go to the bathroom is really theft of time that you should use the bathroom on your lunch or breaks.
The managers have also taken to doing on the floor evaluations, they will lurk near you at any time of the day and listen to how you deal with customers, fill out a form, then call you into the office to discuss it. One day me and two others were evaluated by 3 differnt managers on the same day. I feel now that everyone is watching everyone else..
I am thinking of changing jobs. I just dont know what to do. Talking to the management is out, I think if something is said to the home office, it would just make it worse. what do you think????

·
27,948 Posts
I think it's time for a new job.
It's crazy the way they have you shaking down & harassing the customers. If I was in a store & that happened to me I would not shop there & would tell everyone I knew about the nonsense.
Sorry it's gone so wacky there, wish you luck.:hugz:

Oh & the kamakazee big brother seek & destroy tactics managment is pulling on employees stinks too.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
:yeah: I agree with Darlene. Time to look for another position. They sound like a miserable place to work.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I am thinking that i'd get a new postion somewhere else, then call corporate and let them know exactly without question why you left.

G

·
I agree that I would try and find a new job, too. Out of curiosity, where do you work? That's a store I'd make sure I'd avoid!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I agree it may be time to start looking for another job. I left my last place of employment for reasons you are describing. I am all for giving excellent customer service, but in my mind that is to treat customers how I would want to be treated if I was the customer, and stuff they wanted me to do went past my comfort zone enough that if I was a customer I would not shop at the store again and wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends or family.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i think you should definitely seek other employment. as a customer i would absolutely hate it if every associate asked me about a credit app. that puts you in a really akward position and i feel for you. yeah i would start looking

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Bail out as soon as you can. That sounds like a horribly desperate company that may feel like the ship is sinking anyway and they're scrambling for ways, any ways, to keep it profitably afloat. Either that or it's run by lunatics. Are these tactics just in your store (Attila the Hun manager?) or do they come down from higher up? Anyway, harrassing the customers isn't the way to go. The bombardment to get a credit card would only happen to me once, I can guarantee!

What a wretched situation for you. It's hard to imagine one that could be worse. I hope something will turn up for you soon. No one needs to face that every day.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am sorry you are dealing with such a difficult work situation. I have become quite frustrated with my job search lately. It seems like all the available jobs are in sales. Sales isn't the problem, it's the aggressive way that the employee is made to hassle customers for add ons and cards. I have never enjoyed doing that when I worked in sales.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think I would find a new job. People are going to complain about the harassment. Good luck!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yuck. I despise when stores do this... don't they realize how annoying and intrusive it is?!!! I am sure it comes from "the top" so you have no choice. It really stinks.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm sorry things are so rough. I agree with the other ladies...it's definitely time to find a new job. I hope things work out well for you. :hugz:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
New Job! NOW!!!! Make it a priority! Life's WAYYYY to short to deal with that kind of stress when you can avoid it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree try and find another job. I would think that your hours will get cut even more with the customer being hasseled everywhere they go to apply for a cc.
And as for tellling you that lunches and breaks are when you should go to the bathroom that just isn't right. I mean I have never been told that sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. But is that legal? Can they really tell you - you can only go to the bathroom during break times?
I think that would be the straw to break the proverbial camels back for me!:rose:

·
Registered
99 Posts
get out while the gettings good

If every minute you stay at that job is horrible then get out. You have choices and why give over your precious time to a bad situation? Please get out soon before you start getting sick from all the stress, like sleep probelms, headaches, pit in your tummy as you drive to work, etc.

The only time I felt I couldn't leave a job was when I was in the navy and signed a contract. But I liked the navy even when crazy stuff happened so I just s***ked it up and plowwed on through.

You don't have an obligation to stay at the store and be treated in disrespectful ways. You are an intelligent smart lady - with lots of choices. Try to think of yourself and your family. How is this poor work situtation effecting your home life - are you totally drained at the end of the day from the emotional roller coaster there, do you find yourself snapping at husband or kids? Nothing in life is worth disrupting your peace of mind and household peace.

Catherine

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I also would look for another job! I would make that my number one priority now.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I agree to find a new job too! Just by curiousity - do you work at Sears? I used to work at one and I could see them being dumb like that... :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
When I was, notice the "was", working in a bookstore, they decided to do the same thing. First you had to ask, while on the register, if someone wanted to sign up for a credit card. Many of us were very upset about this change and it was mandatory. Many people quit because of this pushing of credit cards. I felt fortunate to be working int he back room and not be subject to it, but still felt strongly about it.
As a customer I would feel totally harrassed by constnat nagging about signing up for a credit card. When I go to Target and they ask me at the register I don't get real upset with the people because I know it is being pushed by upper level management, however, one does have a choice as to where one shops. KWIM? So, if stores continue to do this, many people will be driven away and look for stores that don't push bad things on them.
I would seek a position else where, but truthfully, I think this is becoming standard practice in most retail stores now. It's very sad, but if people never signed up for the cards, the stores would stop pushing them, don't you agree? I think customers have to start setting the standard of what they will and won't do, or will or won't purchase and where.

I should also add that it is never appropriate for them to tell you when you can or cannot go to the rest room. I mean, the store isn't a prison, is it?
JMHO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts