Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitchen is also my dining room. It's very small and it barely has space for 4 people to sit and eat comfortably around a small table.

The trouble is that it has only 2 windows and the wood cabinets are a med/dark oak color and there is wainscotting halfway up the wall that is also a darker paneling than I would like.

I am soooo tempted to paint all the dark woodwork white so it will brighten up this small room. What holds me back is the thought of destroying the beautiful wood cabinetry with paint. Once I do it, there will be no turning back.

I already have white countertops and will soon be installing wood square vinyl tiles to the floor (YES- MORE WOOD color!)

There's just too much dark wood in the kitchen and it makes me feel like I am in a dark, gloomy room despite the light from the windows which I am soon going to make curtains for.

Should I paint the wood all white??? Will I be sorry I covered the beautiful wood? I don't know if I plan on living here forever so I don't know any other way to brighten this room when most of it is wood.

If I could afford it, I'd replace all the wood in a lighter oak but I can't afford that for a very long time.

Any advice???

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I painted the dark wood in mine, you can lighten up in other ways with light or lace curtains or paint the furniture.....

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
We took the dark,ugly wainscotting down in our bathroom. It made a big difference. Maybe you could replace just the cabinet doors. I liked the chicken wire idea someone posted for the rooster theme.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I don't know a lot about staining wood but would it be possible to strip the dark stain off and stain it a lighter color.

Lori's idea of lace curtains was nice too. I love lace, it just makes things feel so nice and homey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts