Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a long story so bear with me.

Some of you may have seen how we removed the shutters on the exterior of our house when we moved in 2 mos ago. The shutters were really old and falling apart. They were vinyl and hollow!! We took them off and found that one of the previous owners had GLUED the shutters on. Not just one type of glue either, but several different types.

We wanted to remove the shutters and just not have any. If you look in the photo gallery...you'll see that our bay window would have looked a bit weird with shutters on either side. We removed 5 sets of shutters.

We went to Lowe's to inquire what to do to remove the glue from the masonry and were given a product that removes adhesives from numerous surfaces. (brick being one of the surfaces listed on this can)

We test a little area and it seems to loosen the glue a bit where we can scrape it off, so we go ahead and apply it on all the areas. OMG the brick sucks this product up like a sponge and it STAINS the brick. I mean it looks like stripes! It also doesn't do a thing to the other few types of glues. :eek:

I go into Lowe's and they suggest a pressure washer. We try it and end up with some wand marks from the pressure being too high. Then they suggest paint stripper and it does nothing.

I call a manager and he comes down a few days later and says he'll see what he can do. Then I get a phone call from the manufacturer of the product. He was a real winner. He offers to give me $7.99. (refund for the can) I gave him an earful!

Then the manager sends a guy down who tries to remove it with a brush and paint thiner. (which I had already told them I had tried, but they tried also) Now get this. This guy tries to tell me it came off a little. Yeahhhh Riiiight it did NOT.

Two weeks pass and no word out of Lowe's. I call pretty mad and the manager thought it was all taken care of!! WTH? I said is that what that guy told you???? I said you come down here and take a look at my house.

Next day, I get a call from Lowe's claim office wanting to know what happened. I tell them the entire story and they are sending an appraisor out on Friday.

I don't even know how this story will end. I have pictures of before and after. All I can say is someone is going to pay and it's not going to be me and I want my brick to look like it should!

·
27,948 Posts
Go get 'em Sara! What a PITA!:fpunch:

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
You go Sara !!!!!!!! Take no prisoners !!!!!!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Watch out Lowe's, here comes Sara!

Go get 'em Sara!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Go get them Sara - now is the time to have a village convention. :toothy:

Everyone one of us will be :fuming: and have our :fpunch: on, and he won't have any choice but to straighten this out and not with any of your $$ but with Lowe's $$. :toothy:

Why oh why do these big companies always give everyone the round around!!!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am hoping there is some way to fix this problem, but I think the brick is ruined. How the heck can you fix something like that? We've tried everything, but sandblasting. I wonder if they might try that?? I just can't see how this is going to work out well.
I'm going to stay calm and hopeful until after this appraisor comes and see what happens then. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Sara,
Stand firm and let them have it. They should be better informed on their products and not just say try this, try that. Give that appraiser what for:mad:

pat

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the adjuster just left. He was a nice enough guy. He took a lot of pictures. (even of the product) He told me that Lowe's was going after the manufacturer. He said I should hear something by Monday or Tuesday. I have no idea what will happen. All I can say is that it better be fixed. He took the product id off the can even. (of the product that caused the damage)

I'm getting a little nervous. I'm hoping it doesn't become a me against them thing.

Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I hope you hear good news by Tuesday Sara. Maybe Lowes will sue the manufacturer on your behalf...to reimburse you for your damages.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
What a mess!!! Sorry this has all happened to you! Yikes! Id be fumin mad!!! :furious: You get em Sara!! :fpunch: I hope they get it all fixed soon.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Oh my goodness, Sara! Melissa's right...what a mess! Don't let anyone of these big companies get to you. Keep your end and make them fix or change your brick, just as it was! Good luck! Keep us updated with what happens.:)

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Sara,
Have you heard anything yet? I am hoping you have good news. I am interested in seeing how Lowes handles this in the end. I buy a lot there and might just have to change that if they don't stand by what they sell. :dollar:

pat

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lowe's is definitely going after the manufacturer of the product. I need to send the manufacturer some documentation. I should hear something soon.

Home Depot is opening up here soon. I'm thrilled that there will be a choice soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts