Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mom's yummy C.P. Corned Beef and Cabbage

Recipe Description
The best St. Patty's Day corned beef---made me actually LIKE the dish! Can be made in a pot, rather than a CP, but is easier with CP.​
Preparation Steps:
Put corned beef in CP, barely covered with water. Add onion, cloves, garlic bay leaves. Cover and simmer on low about 1 hour per pound of meat, till fork-tender. (about 4 hours after it starts simmering in the CP). Remove meat and put on serving plate and cover tightly with cellophane wrap so that it doesn't dry out). Add potatoes and carrot to the liquid in the CP. Cover and turn up to high until potatoes are fork-tender but not mush. Add cabbage and cook until soft as you like it.​
Level of Difficulty:
Medium​
Time Needed:
5-6 hours.​
Ingredients:
Corned beef 3-4 pounds
2 small onions or one large
2 cloves of garlic, cut up
6 whole cloves (this is CLOVES, not garlic, but whole SPICE cloves)
2 bay leaves
8 med. sized red potatoes, quartered
6 small carrots, cut in chunks
1 small cabbage, cut in wedges​
Serves:
6-8​
Directions:
When ready to serve cut beef thinly at an angle across the grain of the meat. Serve along with vegetable...pour a bit of the liquid over the food before serving for moisture and flavor.​

·
Registered
857 Posts
I am going to try this for tomorrows dinner, I have a cottage roll (Pork) not the actual corned beef. I'm going to use the crockpot and see how this works as the boiled dinners are pretty much the same idea...I'll post to let you know :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts