Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an electric pressure cooker and it arrived yesterday. Yes I still have one from the 70's that goes on top of the stove that I barely used Hoping this is a good move. now I need a cookbook. So I need to print of some recipes I guess and put one together.

I have nothing in the freezer I would want to do except some corned beef so I am trying that tonight then I will thaw a turkey and try a breast later in the week.

·
19,119 Posts
Please tell us how you like your new PK and what you cooked in it too!!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
This is just to weird..LOL..Ive been looking at electric pressure cookers for at least an hour know trying to figure out which one to buy from amazon..Anyhow what model did you buy?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I love my pressure cooker but I did not know that they made electric ones. A good place to go would be a library for cookbooks. I have cooked whole potatoes in 15 or 20 minutes I cannot remember. I have to buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I use my pressure cooker (not electric, just a stovetop type) about 6-8 times/week. Not always every day, but sometimes 2x/day so it works out. I make so many things in it, it absolutely changed my life. I would NEVER go back to live without a pressure cooker. It was a gift from my MIL and I still tell her how awesome it is all the time!

·
Registered
904 Posts
ok, this is weird!!

I have a pressure cooker form the 70's as well. I also have a pressure canner that had an issues with the steam vent. I asked my BF to fix it and he couldn't so he bought me a new electric pressure cooker (he thought they were the same thing) for my birthday.

They make rice exactly like the chinese food place! They also make great fried chicken (its the col's secret) and ribs.

I hope you enjoy it. Make sure to check the website of the manufacturer, I bet they have a bunch of recipes for you to try.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got it from QVC it is a cooks essential got the red one 5 qt I think

I did some corned beef and then stuck in some potatoes at the end even though we will use the meat for sandwiches. yum very tender and easy

learned a lesson though I tipped the lid as I took it off and very hot water ran over my hand, It is a bit tender but not burned.

so not only be careful of the steam but hold the lid level and maybe wear a glove.

A meal I cook for hours was done in under an hour.

I think this will be a good thing It has a time delay and a keep warm feature. so I can have everything put together and start it during naptime in the childcare and dinner will be ready when I am done for the day.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wait fried chicken?? Now this I need to learn YUM

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Love, Love, Love my pressure cookerS. I have more than one so if I'm cooking fresh vegetables and potatoes I can put one in each. I have been using mine for 36 years. I only have the stovetop ones, AND yes the steam is Very hot!!!
Love how fast EVERYTHING cooks and is soooooooo tender.

They used to come with cookbooks and now they are more expensive and you don't get one. I don't think that is a good move on their part for those who are interested in one, but have never cooked with one.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I've never heard of electric pressure cookers. I have a not very old one for my stove. Perfect for my beans. :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I have never heard of an electric one. Will have to check into this! Enjoy it. :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My MIL bought me one from...either QVC or HSN. It's a Wolfgang Puck electric pressure cooker...absolutely LOVE it.
But I've got to ask....fried chicken in a pressure cooker?
I really NEED that recipe....please....:lip:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am in LOVE I stuck a FROZEN pork roast in this morning and added 15 minutes ( ended up it needed more time so another 15) and it is now shredded with sauce on it for pulled pork sandwiches tonight.

Actually it is enough to freeze half

I can see the advantage of having 2 apple sauce will be a breeze this fall. This one can also be used as a slow cooker so I may think about getting rid of one of my slow cookers.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My dh just bought me a large pressure cooker for our anniversary. Aluminum is the traditional 10 year gift :) Gosh I love that boy! I can't wait to start using it! His thought was so we could do canning on a larger scale than in the past.

Sorry, I hijacked your thread!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
But I've got to ask....fried chicken in a pressure cooker?
I really NEED that recipe....please....:lip:
I don't know specific recipes, but places that serve a high quantity of fried chicken typically use a pressure cooker. After it is cooked, it's then breaded and fried for a short time.

·
Super Moderator
19,670 Posts
I know people do it, but it's not a good idea to make fried chicken in a pressure cooker. There are pressure fryers you can use. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I've always seen warnings against pressure frying in a regular pressure cooker.

I picked up a brand new, in the box electronic pressure cooker at a really good price a few years ago on eBay.

·
Registered
904 Posts
OK, before everyone goes completely away from the recipe. I did not say Deep Fried Chicken, but rather fried chicken. The frying is not done under pressure.

The recipe I use comes from an older Pressure Cooker book.
Ingredients:

3-4 lb fryer
¼ cup Flour
1 ½ tsp salt
Dash of pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ cup fat
1 small onion
1 cup water

1. Cut chicken into individual services. Mix Flour, Salt, Pepper and Paprika and dredge chicken.

2. Brown in hot fat in pressure pan. Add onion and water. Place chicken on rack.
3. Cover, set control at 10 and cook 18 to 25 minutes (depending on age of chicken) after control jiggles.
4. Reduce pressure normally for 5 minutes, then place under faucet.
5. Place chicken under broiler for a few minutes to crisp. Serve with gravy.

Old Chickens require 30-40 minutes of cooking time.

I cheat and use a pre-seasoned flour that I really like and skip the salt, pepper, and paprika.

The onion is important and the chicken itself taste nowhere near as good without it. Make sure to line the broiler pan with something or the chicken will stick.

·
Registered
960 Posts
They used to come with cookbooks and now they are more expensive and you don't get one. I don't think that is a good move on their part for those who are interested in one, but have never cooked with one.
I got a Presto electric pressure cooker last year, and it came with a small cookbook combined with the instruction booklet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts