Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I should be doing the happy dance but not until I check with you all. So far we have used oil for hot water and a little heat( it kicks on at night when it drops below 60). I wash everything in cold except for dishes, limit shower time for the kids, and keep the house warm by cooking.

So we used 35 gallons in 1 month, Is that good?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I don't have much experience with oil heating bills, other than knowing they don't like it when they aren't paid :lol:

I did try to pop around looking for the average household oil useage. I came across a report, it's a few years old (to quote: "
that the average price for heating oil will be $1.31 per gallon for 2001." :lol:)

It stated that the average American household that
used heating oil consumed an average of 730 gallons a year.

730 gal /12 mo = 60.833 gal mo.

If I come across any updated figures, I will be sure to post again.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. SO not too bad according to 2001 reports. LOL

·
2,688 Posts
Hi

Not sure what you mean by "good" ?
I see by your info that you live in Maine.
Fuel oil looks to be about $ 3.80 per gallon currently, averaging the prices here in central NY .
It should say on your bill what the total is and price per gallon.
And we don't know your square footage of your house
Not sure how you know that you only used 35 gallons, is it metered somehow ?
This is only September, and quite a few more months of cold weather coming.
You will be using a lot more fuel, it's only just begun.

My husbands parents just put in a outdoor wood furnace because they used fuel oil for heat and their hot water. They use about 7 tanks per yr,and fiqured this winter it would be about $ 1000 per tank to get it filled up. Dad was quoted this summer, a price of $ 4.50 a gallon on his last fill up.

My sons were paying almost $ 1000 per 275 gallon tank last year, and this year two of them are going outdoor wood furnace. The other son put in a coal stove.

We put in a outdoor wood unit also this sumer. Did not like the price of propane.
Last yr cost us $ 1200 and this yr was looking at $ 2000 for propane.
We have about 1250 sq footage to heat

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
We put in a outdoor wood unit also this sumer. Did not like the price of propane.
Last yr cost us $ 1200 and this yr was looking at $ 2000 for propane.
We have about 1250 sq footage to heat
How much per gallon?

The reason I ask is I have a 1500 sq ft home, keep our thermostat at 68 in the winter and my bill for the coming season was $1100. Is your attic insulated? Drafty windows? What do you keep you heat at?

·
2,688 Posts
Hi
We were quoted a price of $ 3.72 a gallon earlier this summer by the company we have used for 18 yrs now. Thought they were going to $ 4 a gallon, and used that number to estimate possible $$ for this coming winter.

We have been using approximately 500 gallons of propane a year to heat 1248 sq ft. Just for the heat and the kitchen stove for cooking .

We bought our 40 by 24 ft doublewide new in 1990. It has 6 inch walls and we do a yearly contract for 500 gallons of propane in September . Just over 2 yrs ago, we added the room of 12 by 24 ft, and did a deck of 52 by 10 ft. So because we did a roof over the deck, our entire house got new shingles. We did all new windows entire structure, and new siding, the T1-11 the thicker stuff.
We were trying to get ahead of any energy problems. Our house/property was paid off and we got a home equity loan to do our upgrades.
Even with the new room, we were still using 500 gallons of propane.

This summer we put in the outdoor wood boiler, and fired her up Sept 1.
It goes into the hot water heater first, then into the bottom of the original propane furnace. It is working very well :)
We left the hot water still hooked to the electric as a back up, and the propane furnace is still a backup source of heat.
We hope to downsize our propane tank of 500 gallons, but it is going to be a problem with the propane company. They will want to enforce a penelty on us for not using a large volume. We will go round with them again, in March when they need to make their once a yr fillup for us. Then we will downsize, as right now, it is too new in the heating season for us to make any decisions how our new OWB will work for us. But so far, it looks VERY promising.
We have approx 400 gallons in the tank right now, that is paid for.
I guess you can say, it's a cumulative amount from all these years of heating
with propane. Our leftovers :)
We had no need to take on a new propane contract for this heating season.

With propane we keep the temp set at 68-70 if using propane as the heat source. Now it is set at 50 to only kick on ,if the wood furnace runs out/low.
The wood heat is set at 65 and is more than adequate....I even sneak it down to 63 when the hubby is not looking :)
The 2 thermostats are only spaced about 4 inches apart.
We will be warmer with the wood heat.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our house is approximately 1500 sq feet. Our oil is on the prepay plan set up at 4.65 a gallon. When we moved in they filled the tank so on the bill it says how many gallons they delivered and noted the tank as full.( I went downstairs and the guage as well shows full)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
We live in PA in a similar size home as you. We were using oil for our heat and hotwater. During the non-heating season we are using approx 20 - 25 gallons of oil a month for hotwater only.. My last fillup was 3/28/08 and they delivered 150 gallons of oil. I will be needing a fillup probably the end of Oct, beginning of Nov. for 150 gallons. I never let my tank get down past 1/4 full. Now during the heating season we use much more, and it really depends on how cold it is and if we were using our fireplace.

This year we got a pellet stove, so I am hoping not to use more than 250 gallons for hotwater.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts