Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 3 weeks I have been stressed about money or rather the lack of it.
We hit a horrible cold snap and I hadn't bought our winter wardrobe yet. I was left with no choice but to spend the Christmas money on pants and long sleeved shirts for everyone. It wasn't what I had planed for the money but at-least I had it to spend. Just today I learned of the troubles one my daughters class mates. Apparently her family has no warm clothes or means to buy them. The mother was wearing shorts in 21 degree weather:eek:
Poor woman told the teacher that she didn't own any pants and hadn't had any in 5 yrs.

My daughters teacher invited the girl to her house yesterday and gave her full run of her daughters closet. She let her fill an entire giant garbage bag. All of a sudden I'm feeling ashamed of myself for complaining I don't have enough sweaters when in fact it wasn't as much of a "need" as it was a want. I realize now just how fortunate I am to have warm clothes , food to eat and a warm house. I was able to provide what my kids needed, they had money to buy treats for their classes and there will even be plenty under the tree. This is going to be a great Christmas.

·
Banned
96 Posts
The last 3 weeks I have been stressed about money or rather the lack of it.
We hit a horrible cold snap and I hadn't bought our winter wardrobe yet. I was left with no choice but to spend the Christmas money on pants and long sleeved shirts for everyone. It wasn't what I had planed for the money but at-least I had it to spend. Just today I learned of the troubles one my daughters class mates. Apparently her family has no warm clothes or means to buy them. The mother was wearing shorts in 21 degree weather:eek:
Poor woman told the teacher that she didn't own any pants and hadn't had any in 5 yrs.

My daughters teacher invited the girl to her house yesterday and gave her full run of her daughters closet. She let her fill an entire giant garbage bag. All of a sudden I'm feeling ashamed of myself for complaining I don't have enough sweaters when in fact it wasn't as much of a "need" as it was a want. I realize now just how fortunate I am to have warm clothes , food to eat and a warm house. I was able to provide what my kids needed, they had money to buy treats for their classes and there will even be plenty under the tree. This is going to be a great Christmas.
That was wonderful. I'm sure the recent cold snap in Florida has caught many people off guard this year. Usually when I go to visit around the holidays I bring nothing but Ts and shorts. This year I'm packing a lot of warm things to wear. Don't want to be caught out like I was with the cold snap last year when I was down there.

·
19,119 Posts
Miracles are everywhere - mahalo for sharing yours!!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
God Bless your daugters teacher. She showed the true meaning of Christmas and I'm sure this Christmas will stand out as the most special one for that little girl when she remembers it many years from now.
Thank you for reminding us how great things really are.
Cat

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Great story and great teacher. :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Yep, going to be a great Christmas and the Christmas spirit has already been shown........bless that teacher.

We sometimes forget just how fortunate we are.......then someone (or something) slaps us up along side the head to remind us........sounds like you got your reminder!

·
Registered
326 Posts
What a sensitive and wonderful teacher. And it does make you sit back and realize that there are people out there that have it so much worse than you do. Isn't it wonderful to have people that still care? Great post. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny enough I have been having trouble liking this teacher. I'm glad I had an opportunity to talk with her more .

Of course when I told my mom this story she got misty eyed and then she said " Hasn't that woman ever heard of the bag sale at the thrift store?" I told her I didn't think the woman had a car to get to the thrift store.
She then reminded me of a girl I went to school with who's parents often sent her to school with no lunch.She gave the girl ten dollars lunch money every time she saw her. I never knew that.
I'm so lucky, I have never had to go without. I may have had to wait but I have always had what I need.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Reminds me of something my DH says all the time:
"You don't have to look very far to find someone who has it worse than you." He says that in regards to money woes, health problems, concerns over children, .....

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Thanks for sharing this very heartwarming story and also for the reminder about needs vs. wants. I am very fortunate that my "needs" are almost always "wants", even though I may forget that from time to time. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.