Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is an outdoor/barn cat, but would have also been a great indoor cat. We have had him since birth and he is almost 4 years old and just the sweetest cat you could ever want. About a week or so ago he started acting weird and I decided to watch him to see what might be wrong. My Dh thought it might be a bowel obstruction because he was always straining to go. Weird thing was he had been having diahrea, but his tummy was getting bigger and harder. So, over the weekend I called my friend, she is a vet, and she said it sounded like a urinary obstruction. She came over last night and she was right. She ended up going up to the clinic and got what was needed to drain him, give fluids and antibiotics. He was doing better at the end of it and was able to start cleaning himself up. Well I went out to the barn this morning and he was bleeding from his rectum and still acting funny. I checked and he had not been able to go yet. So, my friend came back and we had to drain him again and this time it was worse than last night. She also told me that if this doesn't get better that we will have to put him down. I am feeling so sorry for him because I know he is miserable.
Luckily too, because I can't afford to take him to the vet's office for any of these treatments, she is willing to take it out in trade. I do pet care for friends sometimes and have taken care of her horses and other animals while she is out of town. As sick as I am over the idea of losing him I think I would rather he not suffer any longer. Poor baby is sleeping in the litter box because its clean from no use today. Oh, and I learned how to give him an IV because he has been so dehydrated. I hope the treatment works out, but if it doesn't I am prepared to let him go. :sigh:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Prayers to your cat. I hope he gets better and doesn't have to suffer.

·
4,028 Posts
My prayers are with you and your cat. I truely hope he is able to pull through.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your poor cat. Praying he gets better. :hugz:

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Awww, I feel so bad for you and your cat. I hope you both have a peaceful end to this, whatever the outcome. Hopefully he starts to get better soon.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I am sorry I sure hope he gets better soon :hugz:

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'm so sorry. One of my cats has had struggles with bladder infections as well, I know how hard it is to watch them in pain like that. I hope he gets better soon.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't know what has caused this. He's not doing any better tonight. I just feel so bad for him.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm so sorry. Urinary obstructions are fairly common in male cats (doesn't happen as much in females) and as you experienced, they are life threatening. Did your vet put him on a prescription food? They get obstructed from crystals/stones and they need to be on a special food that dissolves any present stones and then they are usually switched to a different prescription food to keep the stones from coming back. Without that food it almost always comes back. Is there any way your cat could be indoors from now on?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am so sorry for your kitty, I hope he gets better soon.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm so sorry. Urinary obstructions are fairly common in male cats (doesn't happen as much in females) and as you experienced, they are life threatening. Did your vet put him on a prescription food? They get obstructed from crystals/stones and they need to be on a special food that dissolves any present stones and then they are usually switched to a different prescription food to keep the stones from coming back. Without that food it almost always comes back. Is there any way your cat could be indoors from now on?
My vet friend, told me she has only seen one other obstruction in an un neutered male cat and the cat was older. She mentioned the crystals and we have been draining him daily, but not sure of what is causing the blockage. She brought me a bag of food to change his diet and Basil (cat) is now on antibiotics. I have to give him IV fluids too, but he doesn't like that very well. He just doesn't seem to be doing very well. I had hoped he would be better this morning, but he isn't. No, he can't be an indoors cat.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
That is so sad. I hope he feels better today.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm sorry. I will be thinking of you and your cat. That's very odd to me that she hasn't seen many cases of it. In our area, we usually see 1-2 a month at our clinic alone. Anyway, I said a prayer for a turnaround for Basil. (HUG)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts