Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share what I am doing to help my poverty pantry this month..... I have my part time job at Subway.. The owner gives a complete meal for every three hours we work, I usually work 3 or 4 9 hour shifts a week..... so I earn 3 complete meals. Yesterday I brought home 2 large salads, with the terryaki (SP)
on the side, I cooked some rice in chicken broth with some peas in it and added the chicken , had the nice veggies salad on the side and had enought for dinner for 4 of us plus lunch today. not bad for 1 cup of peas, 3 cups of rice and a little chicken bullion...........Coupole of nights ago we had french dip sandiches made out of a subway sub.......... :D I am going to try to figure ways to use these meals and make dinner for us other than just the sandwiches (we are getting tired of those) ............

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
A few months ago it was so bad here that I had to resort to local food pantries for help. I still go once in a while (about 2 times a month) and get veggies and fruits and bread. I have quite a few canned foods and lots of cream of wheat, lol My freezer is full of bread now and I've learned to make lots of uses for it. I get fresh farm eggs for free from neighbors and we make a lot of french toast for meals and snacks. I just started buying meats again and we are loving them. I found 10# bags of chicken thigh and leg quarters at our local WM Super Store for $3.70 a bag yesterday. Since I started buying groceries again I've been trying to be very, very frugal. I don't ever want to get down to having nothing to eat againl. It was so aweful and so demoralizing! I won't ever not have money for food again!

I think you're doing great by using these free meals to make or add to and make a meal for your family. I'll try and come up with some ideas for you. When you get a meal, do you have to put the contents on the bread or can you do everything with side orders or in small containers? My family would be totally excited about your PT job. LOL, they LOve Subway!

·
27,948 Posts
I love it when people are creative with what they have on hand. Thinking about what you have and how to best make use of it makes you an artist of sorts. Create and enjoy!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I for one think that it is rather fun to search the cupboards and find goodies to put together, at least on the days where you "feel" like cookin

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Lately All I do is try to stretch our food even more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts