Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am new here and so happy to have found this forum!

I first read DR's TMM about 2 years ago. I had a ton of debt and liked his ideas, but I didn't really get serious about paying off my debt until January 2016 (6 months ago). The biggest reason was that I got married in November 2015 and was so ashamed of the debt mess I had made (my fiancé knew about my debt before we were married, but he has always lived within his means despite making much less money than I do-- I felt like such a spoiled brat in comparison)! I don't want the debt that I accrued to hang over HIS head now that we are married, so I have finally gotten intense about paying it off!

I am in Baby Step 2 and so far, I have paid off $10,000 in 7 months. I have $22,000 left to go, which is all in personal loans and credit cards-- so yes, very much spoiled brat debt, not necessary medical bills or anything like that! My car, thankfully, is paid off. I also have a mortgage on my home.

With my current snowball plan, I am slated to pay off all the debt except the house in 2 years, by June 2018. This will take a little longer than my original rate of payoff because I am 7 months pregnant, so my baby step 2 is on hold until delivery, and then our expenses will increase with our first baby.

So, that's my story! I stumbled upon these forums and thought this would be a great place to have a progress thread, just as an added layer of accountability. I hope to post periodically to keep the motivation up. Plus I just like talking about my debt journey and my husband, who is very much NOT a spender (nor is he a nerd/planner though-- living within his means just comes to him naturally) is tired of me talking his ear off about what Dave has to say!

Anyway thanks for reading my story. Looking forward to meeting other DR followers!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Welcome to the Village!

Lots of great information here and challenges to help keep you focused...and where you can brag about your progress!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great job with the snowball so far - keep up the good work!

One of the things to keep in mind with a little one is that they don't know how much that cute outfit or toy cost - only you do. It is okay to get stuff on sale or used as they will outgrow it so soon anyway......

Getting out of debt is an excellent idea now. As your child grows and enters school you will be able to have extra $$ to do fun stuff or pay for activities.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Welcome!

What KmmCo said---don't spend tons on a new baby, even though it's tempting because there's a lot of cute baby stuff out there! You can find like-new and nearly-new clothing at yard sales and consignment sales. Babies look adorable no matter where their clothes are from. My mother was wonderful about gifting my kids with books, clothes, toys, etc., that she got for very little money, and they had plenty of everything. People always complimented me on how nicely they were dressed. Perhaps you can network on FB or something with new moms and swap/share items. The money you save can be used to pay down debt or start a college fund for the little one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the words of encouragement!

So today is a bad day for me. Husband is home with a plumber, who came because we have no hot water in our shower (we have it everywhere else in the house though). We have already tried to fix this problem ourselves by replacing a cheap part ($20 mixer) about 6 months ago, and that helped a little, but it's still been acting up and recently we lost hot water altogether.

Well husband called me. The fix this time will be $700+.

I guess I should be glad I have BS 1 complete and can pay for this in cash, but... I can't help but feel so defeated. I worked really hard to save that money and it's gone in a heartbeat. And my debt payoff plan to get rid of one of the debts by December won't work anymore either.

Sigh. Like I said, I know I am looking at this all wrong but I am so bummed right now.

·
Registered
423 Posts
but it's still been acting up and recently we lost hot water altogether.
Often that's caused by a solder ball inside the valve. It can take years for the ball to fully dislodge and finally work down and plug the outlet. You probably loosed the ball further when you opened the valve & replaced the cylinder.
Remove the mixer again - only this time flush the system while the valve is out (hold a pail over it, lots of water shoots out - and you'll catch the solder ball if you want to see it). Good luck!

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Thanks all for the words of encouragement!

So today is a bad day for me. Husband is home with a plumber, who came because we have no hot water in our shower (we have it everywhere else in the house though). We have already tried to fix this problem ourselves by replacing a cheap part ($20 mixer) about 6 months ago, and that helped a little, but it's still been acting up and recently we lost hot water altogether.

Well husband called me. The fix this time will be $700+.

I guess I should be glad I have BS 1 complete and can pay for this in cash, but... I can't help but feel so defeated. I worked really hard to save that money and it's gone in a heartbeat. And my debt payoff plan to get rid of one of the debts by December won't work anymore either.

Sigh. Like I said, I know I am looking at this all wrong but I am so bummed right now.
We call that Murphy coming to visit. At our house sometimes he brings his whole family including uncles and aunts.
Look at it this way. You have the cash to pay for it. No credit card. No interest. That's a good thing.
Stuffs going to come up. You just do the best you can and keep on keeping on. Keep your goal and rework it if you have to. I've not seen a plan yet that didn't have to have at least one plan B... or C.
You'll do this. Patience. And stay on here for support.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts