Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And has now asked me to make her pants stay up. :( - No more pantsing in the kitchen.

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I don't know how much she cares about look after the procedure, just that they'll stay up (Russ's male - female communication thread aside for the moment).

In my mind, a dart is kind of an anti-gore, where you make a stich such that afterward you could remove a triangle piece of fabric. Am I properly understanding darts? If not, insert this for dart in the rest of this post.

My though is to add a number of darts to the waistline. I don't know how many, where or how deep to place said darts.

Any ideas would be helpful. I have a nice Pfaff, so a bizillion layers of denim even over a (flat-felled ??) seam will not be an issue. Unless otherwise instructed, I plan on using the overhead feed-dogs too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
this is a video on youtube

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Congrats to the Mrs Mek for losing lb's :)

Um...going by what I know from darts from my tops - darts are not friendly unless you have curves to support them (breasts/hips)

Don't recall seeing darts on pants though - sorry. Did you mean pleats?

On pants...pleats are only flattering to those that are super skinny and need to look like they have fuller hips vs underweight or a stick.

Have you tried looking at the pregnant woman elastic band with clips on either end? They help expand pants or hold them together I think....but I've only seen it me mentioned here at the village but can't think of the proper name for them. I think its used for pregnant women or children who are between sizes in bottoms.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Does Mrs Mek have a pair of pants in the same size that she doesn't care for? If so could you try it out on those and have her try it on? that way before you get going on the pants she does like the two of you could decide if it lays th way she hopes for?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
My friend that takes up her daughter's pants uses the dart method. She ends the dart in the pants pocket and you can't really notice that they have been taken up. Some people call darts tapers.

As for how big the dart? it depends on how much she needs them taken up.
If you want to make the two dart ending in the pocket you divide the number that needs to be taken in by two.

If you want two darts in the front and two in the back you would divide the number by four.

The number is how big the dart is at the waist. The start of the dart

The you sew a straight stitch on the and end in the taper hidden in the pocket if you wish.

The only sewing is done on the inside the only sewing you see from the outside is a straight stitch that looks like a seam.

Got the idea? Got Questions?

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I personally slit the side seam and waist too. Then just take that in. You didn't say what kind of pants. Will there be a top over it or will she tuck in and it will show. Are the thighs too big also?
I just shop at the S.A. in the interim. 5/$5. Fri and Sat.'s.lol.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Side seams are easiest -- darts work well, across the center of each , uhm. . . cheek section. . . . or add a casing to the back waist line and add elastic - then it will fit for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I use the dart method. I place them directly above the fullest part of the behind cheek and pointing down to the fullest part. If a large amount needs to be taken in, I will also place a couple in front so the side seems don't get out of balance.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Depending on how much they need to be made smaller I use elastic in my kids and hubbys pants to make them so they dont fall down.. simple take a small piece about 2 -3 in elastic and on the sides of pants sew one side of the elastic down then streach the elastic so there is a gap and sew the other side, works like a charm and is super easy...

·
19,119 Posts
What a great conversation - and so many inventive ideas!!

In the olden days - fitted slacks had one long dart on each side in the back about 1/3 to 1/2 from back seam to side seam. Less often, there would be shorter and smaller darts in the front.

To keep the integrity of the fitted slacks, the best way I found to take them in was in the front and back seams - a rel pain when you needed to take off the waistband.

Another more casual way to take in the waist area is to sew 1/2 inch elastic in the back- covering about 3 inches on either side of the back seam.

Please let us know what you decide to do - how lucky she is to have you do her alterations!! Congratulation her also on her weight loss!!

I love my Pfaff too!!

·
27,948 Posts
You've got plenty of good ideas for fixing the pants... I just wanted to say that you are going to have to come with some other creative ways to have fun in the kitchen with the Mrs. I think you're a creative guy. ;)
Congrats to her.:tay:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Mrs. Mek is my new hero! (heroine?)

Wish I could do that. :dis: What did you say she's using to lose weight?

So you're another pant-ser, eh? My DH likes to do that. While I'm elbow deep in dish water. :dishes:

·
Registered
566 Posts
My pants that are to especially to big in the legs as I have lost weight have become skirts.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Congrats. to the Mrs. on her weight loss:cheer4:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts