Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best childhood memories seem to have a lot to do with nature and food.
I have wonderful memories of sitting around my grandmother's old dropleaf table. The sun would sometimes come through the window so brightly at dinner time during the summer. We'd eat looking out over the lake and heard the waves crashing in and would see boaters passing and the sound of birds.
We always had a lot to talk about. Usually, it was talk about what our plans were for the following day or month.
We often would work on small crafts after dinner.

My point is that it's the small things that created the best memories. When looking back on the happiest of moments in my childhood...none included spending a lot of money or including anything grand.

What are some of your best childhood memories?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Mine are very similar Sara. I remember times spent with my great granny, walking through her flowerbeds and picking a bouquet of flowers for her. I remember the simple meals she made, but always with a flourish. She'd set pretty dishes, have flowers on the table and always something special for me. She drank tea out of porcelain china cups without fail.

I remember putting on her aprons, always too large for me, but I'd dance around and she'd laugh and join in.

I remember her homestead as if I was there yesterday and she has been gone for years. How I miss her, her gentle spirit, her gift of laughter and her inner beauty.

Then there are times I remember going to my grandmother's, my great grannie's daughters and playing in her water barrel, trying to catch the bugs in it. I use to love going into the barn and feeding the kittens fresh milk and talk to the cows. It was so much fun getting into the haystacks in grandpa's barn. Then they had the largest garden and I'd always pick baby cucumbers.

I guess now you know why my heart is on the homestead and country living. I was fortunate to have gentle, simple living grandparents.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Hmmmmm. . . . . so many to choose from. . . . .

After supper on summer evenings we'd all pile on the wagon and all 5 of us would head out to the pond for an evening of swimming. The big collie we had would join us and we'd all cool of and get sort of clean in the process (we didn't have running water in the house, so we only took full baths once a week) We'd have so much fun- we even took a picture once of us in the pond and my parents used it as that year's Christmas card.

Other memories:

sitting on my grandmother's lap. The best place in the whole world. She was quite overweight and all soft. She always wore a perfume that smelled like roses and I'd sit there before a nap and just inhale her while she read me poems or stories.

Wading in the creek- my friends, my sister, my brother- we'd all go down the road to a place where the creek was deeper and wider and go wading. I'd always get the hem of my dress wet and thought it was so naughty! (girls didn't wear shorts then) We'd come home covered in leeches though and mom would have to salt us down each time. She never got mad, and I don't remember being grossed out with them. It was just a fact of playing in the creek.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I love this thread! Thanks Sara for starting it!:angel:

One of my earliest "Best Memories" is of sitting on my grandfather's shoulders as he took me through his garden. I was 2 at the time and we picked pears that day to give to Grandma. Also taking naps or spending the night at Grandma's was a big deal! I loved her feather pillows so much that she sent me home with one and I still slee with it 38 years later.:)

Another is camping with my family up in the mountains in Hawaii (I grew up there). There were no phones and we had Daddy all to ourselves! Nobody could call us with some crisis so that Dad would have to run back to work.

My fondest teenaged memory is of spending the summer in Ohio with my Aunt, Uncle and cousins. I spent 2 months there after leaving home between my junior and senior year of high school. It was so nice to be a part of a family where there was unconditional love, lots of fun and I could escape from the stress and pressure that was driving me out from my home. I went to my first drive in movie that summer, dated a super sweet guy and learned how I wanted my family to function one day when I had my own kids.:) I did return home at the end of the summer after much begging and pleading from my mother, but things got worse there before they got better.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
My Dad re-modeled a "Chicken Coop" into a playhouse for me. Then there were the 3 gardens & the ripe Tomatoes, hmmm...the only thing I did not like was weeding! Every day in summer, I would wait for Dad to come home from work, to go swimming in the river. My Mom would take us all for a ride on Sunday, & we would get an ice-cream bar. My Gram lived with us & mostly raised us, as my Mom & Dad both worked. Working Mother's were unusual back then. We had a good life, much better than my Husband did. He came from a family of ten. He lost his Dad when he was 14. There were still 5-6 kids at home at the time. His Mom had a hard life, trying to keep everyone together & also worked on the WPA projects, cleaned Railroad coaches, etc. She was also a Mid-Wife with the local Dr. She made all their clothes out of hand-me-downs. I thought when I had seven Kids ...I had it tough!!!!! Apparently I did not have a clue. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts