Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name the newest frugal thing you've started, and the latest frugal thing you gave up.

The newest frugal thing has been buying my clothes on ebay. The shipping is a bummer, but I've learned to stick with bids that are super cheap. I just won a brand new sweater (still in the package) for 99 cents!:D

The frugal thing I've given up is trying to share the phone line with my internet connection. DH has a side business, and it was causing some "tension" at home.:toothy: (that's me...grumbling to dh that I work, cook and clean...I should be able to hop on line once in a while!) Alas, finally got tired of making that grumbly face.

Now DH face:D Me face:D

How bout you?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Great Question!

Newest frugal thing-baking more snacks for kids (bagels, breadsticks, etc)

Latest gone-short showers! I've got to have a nice long shower to function!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
The newest thing I started is doing rebates at rite aid, I just got my first check back today, it was only 1.49, but it was for deoderant and it was free so hey great deal! (actually I made like 49 cents off that one!)

Newest thing I've dropped, trying to make sure I have a coupon for everything, and letting myself not get mad if I can't average out 33 cents or less per item anymore. It was really making me a wreck always thinking about the next deal i need to get and how much cheaper i would only buy it at. I am going to be much more relaxed and instead of trying to stock up on one great deal, i'll focus more on getting everything i need at the time at a great deal.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Newest frugal thing.......... got rid of some things on our auto insurance that we no longer needed and it lowered our rates.

Frugal thing we gave up.......... not spending any money on the yard. In the last month we've spent about $500 or so on landscape curbing and plants and palm trees for the front yard. BUT we paid cash! :D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Good thread! :)

hmmm...Let's see...Well, the newest frugal thing I have began to do is register here! Hope that counts! :)

But, I hate to say that I gave up hanging out my laundry. I work, so it just got to be too much. I know it is a big money saver, but I honestly don't have the time.

·
FV Buddy
1,101 Posts
Newest frugal thing I have started is shopping clearance sales for next Christmas~ already have 450$ WORTH of stuff for family that I have paid 75.00$ for. That is a savings of what, 75-80%? Plus I don't have to be in the malls when it is mobbed at Xmas time!:toothy:
The latest frugal thing I have given up has to be coupons and rebates...not because I wanted to, but because in Canada coupons and rebates aren't readily available and most sample sites and rebates are for U.S only:mad: ! But now I just try to use my price book more to compare for the lowest price!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Newest would have to be rebates at Eckerds and Walgreens,I can't believe I have never done this,figured I would get my grocery bill down even more.

I really haven't dropped this one but kinda slacked a litte,I used to make snacks for the kids and dh lunches every week but for about a month I haven't,we've been sick a couple of times,but I will soon get back on track cause I just got this huge cookie jar at a yard sale for $2,and it matched my flour and sugar jars bought at previous yard sales!

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is a great thread!!

The newest thing Ive started is couponing. Since we dont have double coupons I never got into them too much. Im learning now. And I recently got 34 bottles of Alever for free, lol So Im doing good!

The thing I havent really given up just slacked is making bread. I was doing so good then I got really sick and went into the hosptial about a month and half ago. After that I just havent felt like it.
~Michele~

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The lastest frugal thing that we did was go over all our bills and see where we could cut back.....we cut out money on our cable, phone and power bills, as well as our insurance...... I have alos started refunding which I never did before...

mmmmm....I can't think of anything frugal that I gave up recently...I will have to get back to you on that one... :)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Latest frugal thing was ditching digital cable and going for basic and also switching to lower priced internet.

Latest not so frugal thing has been hobbies and shopping for baby.

Sara

·
Registered
849 Posts
The latest frugal thing would be stockpiling {something I was never able to do & will come in handy when my daughter moves on her own in a couple months & I move as well}

I can't think of anything I have given up.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Let's see-- the latest frugal thing would be couponing since I just started a few weeks ago. I also started bulk cooking about 2-3 months ago, so that is fairly new.

The frugal thing I have given up is not taking the tollroad to work. I have to take the tollroad both ways--otherwise I sit in traffic and get all stressed out! I'd rather pay the $$ for a quick way to and from work.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The newest frugal thing I do is mystery shopping. It allows us to eat out once in a while for free.

The latest thing I gave up was refunding/rebates. It's so much work just to get $1.00 back, and you have to pay .37 for a stamp. Not worth it in my book.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
The newest frugal thing...made a list of meals (sort of like a menu but more flexible for us), defrosted the freezer and will be stocking up to keep gro. on hand to cook like a maniac.

One thing given up? I've quit battling dh over the thermostat. It's just not worth it.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Bumping this because I like the thread and want answers from current members.

New frugal thing for me: Gave up two XM radio subs, west coast feeds on satellite, and a car (no insurance, less gas with only on car....)

Frugal thing given up: Can't really think of any right now. We have had such bad luck financially speaking, we have just been tightening the belt more and more.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quilter's Mom - I bet your yard looks beautiful and perhaps that landscaping money could be looked on as an investment since it probably increased your property value.

Since January I have been rebating and saving lots that way.

I've also joined this board and started hoarding my pennies. :)

What I give up - about to throw in the towel on my goal of brown bagging lunch. DH doesn't want to do it and it's just too stressful to deal with.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Newest frugal thing I started is separating snacks when I get home from the grocery store into baggies (which we reuse for more snacks). This seems to help our snacks last longer too.

The thing that I haven't given up was owning three vehicles, paying for ins. on three vehicles, and gas for all three vehilces. I like DS#1 being able to have his own vehicle. It helps us when we aren't able to shuttle them all different places at different times.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I use to grocery shop once a week but realized how much food I was throwing away.

*So I canceled our weekly organic food delivery because we now live near a store that I can get exactly what we need.

*I am grocery shopping 2-3 times a week now- getting exactly what we need. So I'm not wasting anything. I either walk to the stores(good exercise) or I schedule the stop with my other errands.

*I have started to make my own taco mix and salad dressing. Much healther, I know exactly whats going in it. No sodium or extra chemicals.

*I am now shopping at GoodWill on Fridays, its 50% off day, and only for clothes we "need".

I don't think I have given any frugal things up.

Kimberlina - Thanks for bumping this thread - I'm looking forward to see what others are doing. :)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Given up... 2nd Car, someone else mentioned it. We have saved over $400 on payment and ins. alone. We made a really wise decision, considering I just got laid off from my job and we would have no way to make the payment now.

non-frugal... Eating out, still. We cut WAY back, but I just hate to cook, and I love to eat out. We made a compromise, that's good enough. :)

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Just starting the frugal path so making a budget, going to the envelope system for grocery shopping, snowball debt reduction, washing in cold water, really thinking before buying anything are all new to me. Also starting my "own" change jar earmarked for debt reduction.

I am giving up fighting with DH over setting on the air conditioning. He thinks it costs more to cool down the house if I turn it up a few degrees than I think it does..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts