Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
The most recent frugal thing I've started doing is turning off the water heater during the day and at night after the dinner dishes are done.

I recently toyed with the idea of turning off the AC during the early part of the day and having the windows open, but I live in Florida and we're having 90+ degree temps and I'm not sure how much $$ it saves to have to cool the apartment back down after it hits 87ish (or higher) inside.

I've also been looking for more crockpot recipes to use or recipes I can convert to the crockpot without too much trouble (I only have a bajillion cook books, might as well use them!) so that I'm not heating up the kitchen and adjoining rooms with the oven while cooking (thus making the AC kick on more often).

As for what frugal thing I've given up...? I guess the closest I can come is canned food. I'm in the midst of waging the organic ($$$$$) vs canned ($) food war again. I'm naturally inclined to lean towards the organic and fresh side of things however, wow, that costs money. There's no denying that, at least here in Tampa, it's much cheaper to rely on canned foods.

·
Registered
235 Posts
New frugal thing: cutting baby and dh's hair (kindof scary sometimes), homemade laundry detergent, and being stricter on the budget.

Frugal thing given up? maternity clothes at thrift stores---they're just not worth it

·
Registered
367 Posts
Interesting that i find this thread today. I noticed that i'm finally becomming more frugal- i reuse aluminum foil, (i never thought i'd do that!) i've only been buying absolute necessities at the grocery store, my freezer & pantry are full of food, thanks to the stockpiling (with a foodsaver) i've learned to do here. using less laundry soap. I could go on sorry, rambling. Thank you for all i've learned here!

Our one downfall, cant live without cable. Although, the clerk at the office i pay my bill at recently did me a favor- she put a discount on our cable for 6 months! Thank You !! :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
We've done a few new frugal things.

~We've recently moved and finally have w/d hookup. When purchasing a washer it never came across our minds to purchase a dryer...LOL! We hang dry it our attic. Also saves money on the energy comsumption.

~Instead of Randal paying $9 to commute two days per week by train I schedule classes/outings around his meetings sos he can drive in with free parking ahnd drive back saving us $.

Frugal things we no longer do:
We've moved into a mor eexpensive place. They rent went up a few hundred. So, we are watching our pennies. The commute was just to much from NH to Boston and now we won't need to be a two car family which is awesome.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
This year we decided not to buy propane for our gas grill. We're not home very much on the weekends, and I don't like to grill myself during the week.

I have stopped buying things in advance. Now that I have more time on my hands, I buy gifts right when I need them vs. using a credit card to buy them in advance. When I can, I make gifts vs. buying them.

I have become very vigilant in tracking our grocery spending, planning meals, and using coupons.

I had Dave put up a clothesline (one of the umbrella kinds), and I hang my laundry outside on days when it doesn't rain.

We don't go out to eat any more. At one time we were going out at least once, sometimes twice a week.

We made a budget, and we *stick to it* I have a little in an EF, and if anything else unexpected comes up (le.g. money needed for field trips), I sell some of my fabric, kids' old toys, or something else that we don't need here.

I've been decluttering and selling on Ebay. The money I make, I am using to snowball our CC debt/home equity loan.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Newly frugal:

~Not having to wash DH's work clothes in Hot water! Since he started working on his own he hasn't been doing as many dirty, DIRTY jobs. His clothes always used to require hot water to get them clean because they were so greasy and grimey! :yucky: Now I don't have to wash them in Hot(as often). It saves me two large loads of hot water a week!!

~ Sticking to the budget, NO If's And's or Butt's! No excuses, no choice!

~ Finding more stuff to sell on Ebay!

~Using all the leftovers and not going to the store if we run out of something. We just have to wait until it's grocery shopping day.

~ Grocery shopping day is now once every two weeks instead of once a week. I plan a menu and list and stick to it with no room for extras at this time. I still buy one thing during each trip for my stockpile.

~paying and extra $100 on my CC with the regular monthly payment.

Frugal thing given up?

~ None at this time. We've been more frugal than we've ever been!

T

·
0 Posts
A very interesting thread. Thanks for bumping it!

*Most recent frugal thing started: I can't really think of anything we've started recently. Except for our new resolve to only eat out once a week (eventually it will be less, but we have to start somewhere). Also using baking soda to clean the oven.

*Most recent frugal thing given up: trying to repair clothing. I am just not that talented, and I can get new things for almost the same cost as professional repairs. I may sew on a button, but that's about my limit.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Nice old thread that's been revived before. Doing so again for anyone who wants to join in.

Latest frugal thing started would be looking into a new gas/grocery/eating out card for points. Haven't done it yet but checking into one that just came out versus an old one that hubs uses just when he gets gas. I've never done a gas discount before unlike FW and the rest of you. I guess the older one can also be used for groceries at Winn Dixie. X amount of points equals X amount off groceries. Don't want to mess with 2 so still investigating.

Something I gave up. I gave up depriving myself of a Dunkin' once in awhile. The kid gave me another gift card and have been using it again. I'd forgot how much pleasure I got out of a $2.30 cup of coffee. I can drink on a large all day and I mean ALL day. So about a month ago I decided one or two a month isn't going to break me. I'll make it up elsewhere. Reason I had quit was not so much the money... well some of it was... but I was getting it several times a week. No, the creamer is a killer. I gained weight. My cholestrol climbed sky high.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Super Moderator
1,957 Posts
latest frugal thing, in my new place I do not have a landline or a TV. I watch what I want on Youtube on my laptop. Living room is arranged so I can sit in my comfy chair and watch the laptop on its desk, and I have external speakers.

What I gave up, shutting the water off in the shower while I condition my hair. I still shut it off while I soap up. Not paying for hot water here, landlord pays.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Well for me it's just spending less on eating out, snacks, etc... cooking at home or making leftovers.

Another new thing I've started doing is making my own all natural homemade wipes that can be used on the face, body and hiney. :)

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Love this thread!
Thanks for bumping...
Latest for me is shopping around for needed services thus far I have saved $70 from my monthly budget...my goal is $100...

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Newest things I do is because I bought a Kitchen Aid earlier this year. We started grinding meat we buy on sale to make our own beef, sausage and stuffing casings with ground meat we've added various seasonings, cheese, spinach, etc to. I also use it to shred cabbage, carrots, ginger, etc for making sauerkraut and OMAC type batches of food. It has saved me time and money.

Latest thing I've given up is policing electric and water usage - both are covered in the rent payment.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
I'll tell you what I have given up, washing little plastic containers of condiments from DH's lunch box. I'm buying single serve packets of salad dressing and mayonnaise for him to use. And they don't leak all over the inside of his lunch bag.

Also cutting back on the stockpiling. I'm looking at packages of cookies that "expired" in 2015, as an example of my unnecessary over buying.

Most of my "new" things seem to be stuff we're NOT doing. Didn't get a season pass to the theme park this year, just bought a single day ticket. Didn't go to the bead show like we normally do. Have passed on other opportunities to spend money on entertainments.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The latest for us is utilizing the opportunity to salvage used lumber from the local solid waste transfer station run by our county. We can salvage any construction materials, recyclable metal items, or appliances or parts from appliances. We've always salvaged things like fridge drawers, dryer drums we use for large planters, scrap metal for various uses, etc, but not so much lumber. Mostly that was because Husby lived in terror of picking up a nail in a tire, which is a very real possibility but that's true of driving anywhere on that property.

Here are a few of the things we've salvaged in the past.
Broiler pan to make tabletop:

Antique sewing machine base in perfect condition. It wasn't even dusty!

Shelf unit for greenhouse. The bottom 1/4 of the legs were very rusty, but we'll be cutting the rust off and adding the loose shelf back, either next to this portion or on top to make the shelf taller again. Don't know yet because it's a recent acquisition and I haven't had time to think about it.

Very rusty antique griddle, shown here halfway refurbished. Unfortunately it turned out to be cracked, but I've rescued several cast iron pans from the scrappers, including one of Lodge's current styles that looked like someone had used it once, burned something in it, and tossed it. It was easy and quick to refurb. I always pull usable CI cookware and refurb it because I love doing that and seeing it go from orange and rusty back to black and ready to cook with. If I can't use it, I donate it.

This microwave. It needed a new fuse, which cost us $4 for a pair. It looks and works like new now.

A glider rocker frame that had been tossed onto the construction debris pile. I made patchwork covers from two upholstery sample books I got at a rummage sale and new cushions, and painted the frame.

This complete bedframe, also tossed on the construction debris. It's a near-perfect match in color tone for our dresser.

Enough composite decking to cover two-thirds of the floor we just put in our greenhouse, saving us at least $150. It's sure nice now to have a real floor instead of dirt.

We dragged home a half-trailer full of lumber last week, mostly 2x4 which I'll be using to build framing for benches in the greenhouse. I also picked up a piece of vintage Marlite which is like masonite, only with a design on one side. I'll be using that for a free backer in a large cabinet that doesn't have a backer on it.

We've picked up lots of stuff over the years. :) It's been a good resource for us and now that we're looking at the construction debris from a different perspective, we're buying a lot less lumber.

We're also not stocking up on as much food. It's no savings if we end up throwing it out. I've been making an effort to use up food in a timely manner by eating things that might not be what we want that day, but which need to be used, and by not buying food if we have something similar already.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
One frugal thing I've started lately was making my own tomato sauce. I haven't bought it in the past in a long time. On the other hand, I found the blender my parents had and started making tomato sauce with tomatoes bought from the local farmer's market and the few I grew last year. When we were getting rid of stuff for my Dad's move, I claimed the blender for myself. Plus I've planted tomato plants with making sauce specifically in mind. (I had been growing them for Mom before she died but never knew they still had a blender at the time.)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Great thread!
One thing I've started doing lately is only shopping for groceries once a week. Otherwise I end up spending over budget. AND THEN if we start running out of things before my next trip, I get creative! Do more baking; take what's in the fridge, freezer and pantry, and mash something together. It's been interesting, lol, but no complaints yet!
One thing I've let go is hanging laundry during summer months. First, the clothesline broke :p and second, it always made me feel resentful and I didn't enjoy it and only grumbled, it was annoying etc. And honestly, didn't see much of a change on the hydro bill for those short couple months anyways, so MEH!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
WB, Cares!

My newest cost savings is I finally found a great recipe for ciabatta bread and have started making that. It costs less than fifty cents for twelve ciabatta rolls, which we used to buy day-old when we could get those for $3 for only six. Big savings, and now we get fresh and homemade instead of stale and store-bought. :)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
name the newest frugal thing that you did

:bump: I made dish soap for dish washer used a Tablespoon last night done load dishes and it is a keeper everything is clean and shiney

Reactions: josantoro
P

·
0 Posts
I started giving my dog hair cuts....now mind you, the groomer does a way better job than I do....but I saved 260.00 this Spring/Summer. I bought $35.00 clippers off amazon.

·
Super Moderator
1,957 Posts
latest frugal thing, in my new place I do not have a landline or a TV. I watch what I want on Youtube on my laptop. Living room is arranged so I can sit in my comfy chair and watch the laptop on its desk, and I have external speakers.

What I gave up, shutting the water off in the shower while I condition my hair. I still shut it off while I soap up. Not paying for hot water here, landlord pays.
Update - I know you have all been waiting with bated breath - I no longer shut the hot water off at all in the shower until I am finished. Old plumbing makes it too hard to get the right temperature back.

I use my neighbor's washer and dryer (supplied by our landlord) but I only dry the sheets in the dryer. (I only have one set). Electricity goes on her bill. Other laundry gets hung up to dry in the apt, on hangers and such. I intend to give her some money for the electric bill now and then.

ETA - in the six months I have been without a TV or cable, and only watching YouTube, I have never been so entertained in my life.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts