Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody else going to spend November writing a novel? I love the Nanowrimo idea :)
(And it's devilishly frugal. A bit of electricity, loads of coffee, that's it!)

·
27,948 Posts
Good luck to all you writers! Wishing you lots of inspiration and very little rewrites. :writer:

·
Registered
679 Posts
hey pars--i'm all signed up and ready to go
got lots of half-thoughts on what to write about.....
have you planned it or are you just going to wing it starting nov 1st? i'm not sure which way to go

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I know my main character, the first chapter, and the basic plot. Everything else will develop from that.
I did a private-Nanowrimo in February, and planned much more then. I didn't need most of it, though. So this time, I'll trust myself to come up with most of the stuff 'on the go'.

Have you ever done a Nano before?

·
Registered
679 Posts
no i haven't
i have to admit i've signed up for it a couple times and then when november came, didn't even go to the site.
this year i'm committed!
to be there & to go forth with it!!!
:lip:

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I think doing Nano is a great adventure. It may not always be fun, but it's always an experience. Doing my private-Nano in February tremendously boosted my self-confidence in all things literary :)

This year, November starts on a weekend, that should make it easier for us to make a headstart :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nano Things

Got Nanowrimo on my mind all of sudden today. Here are some of the things I found:

Q10 : free download/free to use word program that will even keep count for you and also if you set it, tell you what percentage you are on your way to 50,000 words. I just downloaded it tonight and this is what I'm going to use this year to write my nano-novel
NanoStew : blog that has a resource page with lots of help like name generators
Meter for your site: I put the little guy watching tv at the end of my blog
Thoughtbook : article about keeping a thoughtbook to help with your writing
Wallpaper : cool wallpapers with calendars that you can use as desktop backgrounds -- just mouse over and right click and choose set as desktop background. they tell you how many words you should be up to on each day to win
nanowrimo calendar with mouseover messages
creative writing widgets
preparing for nano: a blog post with some things to think about
Permission to write badly certificate (pdf)
Nano For the New and Insane: book download link on this page
Nano Advice: lots of tips and resource links
nano excel spreadsheet
to boldly nano: fairly new blog with writing prompts
naperwrimo: huge resource for writing
ywriter: a download to use in writing your novel
Wikipedia's entry for Nanowrimo

that's it for today--getting ready to hit the hay
i can't wait to see what happens by the end of November
good luck to everyone who is trying to win
:teddy2:

Reactions: drusilla and Edna_E

·
Registered
17 Posts
Only a few days to go!

Is everyone ready for Saturday?!

I'm doing a mystery. Something along the lines of a cozy i think.

I can't wait!

Also, on the link for nanostew that jolinekacie posted is a WONDERFUL excel spreadsheet for tracking your nano progress.

dru

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I am arguing with myself a lot at the moment. I WANT to do the Nanowrimo, urgently so. BUT: I also need to work harder on my thesis, my deadline is CLOSE. If I participate, it's evenings and nights only, no lunchtime writing, no early morning writing (those times are reserved for my thesis). Ugh!
I did a Nano in February and finished early, but I sometimes took an afternoon to write, and wrote through the weekends. I won't be able to do this this time...

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Nanowrimo=National Novel Writing Month.
You start on November 1st, you finish on November 30th. In between, you write a novel of at least 50,000 words. Crazy, but fun :D

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I couldn't even imagine doing this! Good luck to you guys! I've been working on a novel for over 6 months, I couldn't even imagine doing it in a month. I could maybe put together a novel of short stories to equal the required words, but I don't think I could crank out a novel!

Maybe next year I'll give it a shot! I promised myself no new projects until my current writing project is finished and submitted!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Absolutely!

This will be my second time doing Nano! The first time I did it was in 2000. Not sure why I never participated again. I just signed up again last month and am anxiously awaiting the first online write in with those from my area.

I am writing a suspense/mystery! Not quite sure yet which it will actually be. I have done a little outlining but think that I will pretty much be winging it.

I love the concept of Nano, mainly because...it is okay to write crap! ;) Once you get it written then you can go back and edit; rewrite; edit; rewrite; edit; rewrite...LOL! This is after all where the story really comes from! It will help me tremendously to just get me to get me going again!

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah - you can write crap - but often, lots of it is actually surprisingly good :-D And since you do not stop all the time to edit what you have written so far, you actually get to FINISH you novel :D

I want one of those "winner" images :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts