Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are a lot of NASCAR fans in the village, and I would like youer opinions on a couple things. First is that I don't think that the Nextel Cup drivers should be allowed to race in the Busch Series. Secondly, when they give bonus points for laps led; instead of giving a one time awars of 5 points, wouldn't make for better racing if they gave 1 point for each lap led? Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I agree with you on the drivers not begin able to run in both races. It gives the up and comings a chance to win. Something to shoot for (if you'll pardon the pun). As for points I wish they would work the points, like you win you get x number of points (like 42) if there are 42 drivers. Then everyone eles gets points as to where they place. End of year guy with most ponits win.

Laurie in Bradenton (Go Joe!)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I agree about the Cup guys running the Busch race. I think if they are there then they shouldn't be allowed to collect any Busch points for the race (pains me to say it since I adore Carl Edwards...). The Busch guys need their track time, they need the experience. I think if the Cup guys are allowed to race (without points) in the Busch series they should also limit them. I like Clint Bowyer and Mark Martin, but I think it takes a toll on them when they run all three races in a weekend (truck, Busch, Cup).

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am totally for them having lap points, I just think that if they got 1 point for every lap they lead, they would race the whole race not just the last 50 laps.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Point per laps...don't know. Cup drivers driving Busch...I have felt for a long time that it should not be allowed. My biggest wish is that Nascar would come up with a set of rules and stick with it. Stop changing the rules from week to week over silly stuff. Also I think that the new nascar website is awful, JMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Point per laps...don't know. Cup drivers driving Busch...I have felt for a long time that it should not be allowed. My biggest wish is that Nascar would come up with a set of rules and stick with it. Stop changing the rules from week to week over silly stuff. Also I think that the new nascar website is awful, JMHO.
Totally agree about the new website - it's so busy, I cannot find anything on it! I am not in favour of points per lap, cause you could get someone running in front the whole race and then blow a motor and not win.....My thoughts on Busch driving in Cup is like this:

IF YOU ARE IN THE TOP 35 CUP POINTS, YOU SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO DRIVE IN BUSCH!

Don;t even get me strarted on the whole top 35 thing. No way should DJ be able to use a past champ prov. to get in when he was SO much slower than Ward who didn't get into the race........UGH! With the top 35, you have people like Kyle Petty locked in when Ward ran a much faster lap..... DOUBLE UGH!!!

While I am at it, may I just say how much I would like to see cars racing back to the yellow again.......no more of this lame (I mean lucky) dog stuff - even though Bobby gotta use it this week.

Oh, I am HUGE Bobby Labonte fan from WAY back - my loyalty followed him to Cheerios last year. But like I have said before, being on the Petty team was NOT a "promotion" for him..........still, I'd love to see him do good and go "Ha HA to Gibbs".............Ok, I have more soapboxes like this, but I will stop for now (I love to talk racing!)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
God I HATE THE NEW NASCAR WEBSITE! I can't find the starting lineup for the race!

Sure, the guys that run both races have a slight advantage by getting extra "practice" I don't really care who runs both or whatever, I don't think it really makes that much of a difference.

I think Nascar should award more points for winning, instead of consistency. Drivers that are consistent win the cup and that's not really rewarding the winners. Tony had more wins than Jimmy Johnson last year and got a raw deal.

I love to talk racing too. I have a patient that comes in to visit me after the races just to talk about it, lol. He's an elderly man and he cracks me up. lol My coworkers aren't into it and they just don't understand.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I think Nascar should award more points for winning, instead of consistency. Drivers that are consistent win the cup and that's not really rewarding the winners. Tony had more wins than Jimmy Johnson last year and got a raw deal.
I totally agree about Tony - he would have won the Cup had been a top 12 like they are going to do this year......

·
Registered
253 Posts
As far as Bobby going to Petty...I think it was more a moral issue than anything, JMO.

Don't ya' just love that Ward is back!

Isn't there a limit to how many provisionals they can use? Or is the champions provisional different?

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
As far as Bobby going to Petty...I think it was more a moral issue than anything, JMO.

Don't ya' just love that Ward is back!

Isn't there a limit to how many provisionals they can use? Or is the champions provisional different?
I know about the reasons why he went to Petty - but then Joe Gibbs is a strong born again Christian too - so he's no "slouch" either.

I LOVE that Ward is back!!!!! I've been following him on his wildlife site the last few years.

Provisional limit is 6 - Woo Hoo DJ has already used up 4 of them - get out of Wards way!!!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I love watching the various drivers participate in the truck and Busch races. I don't see anythng wrong with a driver racing all three races.

I really do not have an opinion on the points system, other than I wish they would leave it alone and stop adding and changing rules every year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks NASCAR has really made things so safe and generic that even that Bristol race yesterday was boring?!? I mean, Bristol is all about beating and banging and there wasn't much of either.

Busch is Busch and Nextel should be Nextel. I agree that the Buschwackers should be outlawed. I don't like the idea of a point a lap, but maybe 50 points for a win and everything else the same as before. It's gotten to the point with the Chase that you try to finish good as opposed to winning the race until the last 10 races.

Bryan France has done a lousy job moving NASCAR up to the next level - I bet old Big Bill is rolling in his grave. Between him and Mike Helton, they have homogenized (and borified) a great sport. I know you have to be safe, but when you hear that namby-pamby Jeff Burton saying, "Kyle Busch always races me clean, so that's how I want to race him" I just want to say, "If you're not in it to win it, then don't be in it"!!!!

Sorry for the rant, but I've been a NASCAR fan for a long time and I'm almost ready to give it up for good.

PS - I'm glad Ward's back in - if the push weren't on for the drivers to be fresh out of the DMV getting a driver's license, he never would have been without a ride - but that's a whole other rant!!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have been without cable for a while and the only thing I really missed was Nascar. We just had it turned back on and I got to watch the race yesterday. You are right it was boring. The last lap was good because I was pulling for Burton but it was not a Bristol race.

I personally also dislike the Chase format too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts