Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 8th, our "boss" (aka Regional Missionary Field Director) and his wife are coming for a visit for one week. He has some diet restrictions that I'm not used to dealing with so I thought I'd see if anyone has some ideas on what I can feed them.

He's on a low-fat, low-sugar diet. He's avoiding red meat, cheese, high-fat foods, fried foods and sweets. He can splurge a little, but this is for his health, not just a fad diet so I would like to be as accomodating as possible. But I've never really cooked low-fat on purpose, so my meal ideas are slim.

The biggest challenge here is that low-fat alternatives aren't available except for skim milk. So no low-fat cheese, low-fat sour cream, etc. So the meals have to be naturally low-fat. Also, I can't cook fish (the smell makes me very ill) so the only meat he can eat is chicken and chicken is on the expensive side especially when cooking for 4 adults and two children.

We'll be going out for a few meals while they are here, so those will probably be his splurging meals since everything in this country is high-fat. I have to cook lunch and supper for them. They will have breakfast at their hotel.

So ideas anyone??? We as a family are not picky, so it's just him that I need accomodate. I don't want to starve him!! He is after all our "boss"....lol

·
8,714 Posts
~Roast turkey(or other poultry) hot, or cold in whole grain bread sandwiches. Steamed veggies...Soups can be pretty low-fat. Minestrone, vegetarian chili, chicken noodle. Hope you get some more ideas....~

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I was thinking soup and sandwiches for lunch and for dinner, I agree with nuisance a roast with veggies would be pretty healthy. Steamed veggies, rice and lean cut chicken would be pretty healthy. I wish you luck, not only are we not picky here, healthier food choices tend to be on the more expensive side.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I don't have specific recipes, but overall ideas for lower-fat eating.

I'm guessing that this low-fat diet implies he avoid BAD fat. We all need an amount of good fat (which contributes to the good cholesterol), which can be found in fish. If fish is just broiled properly, it won't smell "fishy" at all.

Also, veggie stir fry. You may need some oil for this, but olive oil is very healthy and has good fat.

Soup is definitely a good option, as long as you don't use a cream base.

Overall, you can substitute fruit juice and honey for sugar in recipes, assuming again that this diet means low refined (not natural) sugar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts