Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just prowling for some how-to on crazy quilting. I'm learning to use my sewing machine and I've wanted to quilt for years. I think crazy-quilts are so interesting.

Here is a video on crazy quilt shortcuts that I found on youtube. Hopefully this isn't old-hat for everyone:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCgeA1qymQQ[/media]

Just FYI there is a book plug on it, but it's not overwhelming.

·
Registered
639 Posts
making a crazy quilt is something I've been interested in too.
It's interesting & helpful to watch all the different demos...
the best crazy quilt I've seen was at a museum years ago...
made by a migrant worker, she used all clothing scraps, the pieces varied in size & some of the colors were wild...the fabric type was also varied
that is what my concept of crazy quilt is...a mishmash of recycled
items put together for a practical use.

I 've been collecting pieces & wanting to try a small project like a window quilt first.

What will be your first project?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Redmaples~ I'm working on my first square with a sewing machine right now. I'm not using the above technique yet, because I don't have that much fabric. Right now, I'm putting pieces together using the sew and flip method (or whatever that is called). I have found that there are definitely some tricks to it that I have to learn (but I'm learning quickly). After I finish the square, I will play around with embroidering it a bit. from there i hope to start an actual quilt.

I guess that means my first project is a tiny mini quilt experiment :)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I've got a pile of scrapes I've been dying to use up and this looks like the way.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
639 Posts
that sew & flip method seems easy & fun,
the hard will be to learn to piece the different shapes together...
but also the fun part...
or would that be the embroidered seams & embellishments?

I went to that site you posted (loopylace) & got a mini crazy patchwork lesson..."how to machine piece crazy quilts'...
very neat! thanks for posting that.

a mini quilt is a good place to start!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Thanks! This is a quilt-as-you-go method that I could get into...not as much hand stitching as the project I currently have underway. I'm thinking about how to take my current project and make it go a little quicker now.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Looks like a nice fast way to make gifts and use up scraps too.

Goodness knows I have enough fabric....boy oh boy do I have enough fabric!

This method would also work with a 4 patch too I bet. Sew 2 squares, then the other 2, sew the 4 into a block then layer, sew in the ditch or decorative stitch the ditch and then use her strip method to piece the whole top.

Can you tell you are dealing with a woman who is desperate to use up some precut squares???? LOL!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts