Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty please? Amanda mentioned she was making scones. I love just plain scones, I even have a scone cookbook and can't find a good recipe. I'd like them to be fluffy/big like biscuits. There is a tea room here that makes delicious ones, but they are from a mix.

Ellise???

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
These aren't tried and true, but here's some to look over.

Scones

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I love scones, I'll have to try them too ! Thanks !!!!!!

BTW...... I can't beleive there is a recipe in the world you didn't have Danielle !!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Irish Scones

3 cups white flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
1 cup raisins or other dried fruit
Egg wash, to brush scones

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
Add softened butter and sugar, mix well.
Stir in milk or buttermilk. Also stir in raisins or dried fruit.
Press dough onto a floured surface and roll out gently to 1/2-inch thickness.
Cut scones into round shapes or triangles.
Brush scones with egg wash for shine.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Scones

1 1/2 pounds all-purpose flour
4 ounces sugar, plus additional for topping scones
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 tablespoon salt
9 ounces butter, cut into walnut-sized pieces
1/2 pound currants
1 1/5 cups buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
Cream, to coat scone tops

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Sift all the dry ingredients 3 times and put in the bowl of a mixer. Add the butter using a paddle attachment and combine until the butter is completely dispersed.
Add the currants and then the buttermilk, and mix until a dough forms.
Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1-inch.
Use a cutter to cut desired shapes. Brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake until lightly golden, about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Buttermilk Scones

3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup currants (optional)
1 tablespoon heavy cream, for brushing

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
Add butter and mix with your fingertips to a coarse meal.
Add buttermilk and mix just until combined.
Add currants, if desired.
Transfer dough to a floured board and divide into 2 parts.
Roll each to 3/4 inch thick rounds.
Cut each round into 8 wedges and place slightly separated on a greased baking sheet.
Brush the tops with the cream, and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Serve warm, split in half with butter and marmalade.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Thanks for the sites and recipes! :bigglass:

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Danielle, I've been making scones for 40 years. This is my tried and true recipe, I've added comments and reasons for doing at the end:

3 cups self raising flour OR 3 cups all purpose flour + 3 teaspoons baking powder, sifted together
3 level tablespoons cold butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
About 3/4 pint of milk or buttermilk - amount is always different, depends on your flour and the weather.

METHOD
Sift together all the dry ingredients. Chop up the butter into little pieces and add to dry ingredients. With your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour, you want it to look like fine, dry breadcrumbs. this will take about a minute to do, don't overdo it, you don't want the butter to melt or be really soft.
Add the milk, half of it first and mix in, then the remaining milk in little bits until you achieve a firm dough with VERY slight stickyness.

THE SECRET TO GOOD SCONES IS... at this point, don't overwork the dough. If you knead it too much, the scones will be tough. All you need to do is to get the dough out of the bowl, put it onto a slightly floured board, knead it twice and pat it into shape - a rectangle or circle or square (it doesn't matter) about 1 inch high. Get a floured cookie cutter or the floured rim of a drinking glass and cut out your scones.

Place all the scones - with their sides just touching - on a baking sheet . If you want the tops REALLY golden, brush the tops with an egg yolk wash. you don't have to do this but it gives a nice golden top.

Place in a hot oven (200c) until they are golden brown (about 10 - 15 mins).

the most important part of making scones is to use cold butter that you work fast enough with your fingertips (the coolest part of your hands) without it melting or going really soft.
AND
don't over knead the dough - just get it out of the bowl, roll it a couple of times on your floured board, shape it to about 1 inch in height and cut it.

Cutting the scones with a cookie cutter or glass helps them rise, as does letting the sides of the scones touch.

Serve scones hot with butter or make Devonshire Tea - scones, no butter, with raspsberry jams and thick cream and a cup of tea.

Enjoy, and let me know how it goes.

edited to add:
all mixing is done by hand with a knife blade. this allows you to mix the ingredients without overworking the mix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts