Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at ripping out a wall and a total re-imagining of the entire space. I don't know what I want, I don't know how it should be laid out, I have no vision whatsoever of my own. I only know what I don't like. I need someone who can come in and design something.

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to be looking for? Is it an architect? an interior decorator? a contractor?

When I go online I can only seem to find cabinet businesses. I don't want someone just coming in with the main goal of selling me new cabinets, kwim? The cabinets are the least important part of this for me.

Who has done a total kitchen reno, and how did you do it?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
don't you need a licensed general contractor?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My thought is that you need a contractor too. As far as I know they should be able to help you redesign your space. My friend had her bathroom completely re-done, and started the process with a contractor. Let us know.

Hope it goes good for you!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think starting with a list, or list of lists. . . but I'm a list maker. What you like, and what is working, then what you don't like, or need improvment on (storage, how well stove/fridge/sink works together, etc).

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
We had our kitchen totally redone last year. I started with a list of what I liked and what I hated about the kitchen I had. Then a list of what I had to have (more counter space was #1) and what I could do without (tile floors and granite counters). Then I looked at alot of kitchen images online to get ideas. I also got cabinet catalogs from Lowe's to get ideas.
We used a general contractor and also worked with a cabinet company in our area. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot alot to look at their cabinet and kitchen models (the little kitchen set ups they have).
We have a teeny tiny kitchen and by working w/the contractor and the cabinet company we came up with a way to get the most use out of my space.
I wanted to tear down the wall btwn the dining room and kitchen and put in a small island/eating bar. But the wall is a weight bearning wall and it would have added too much to our budget.
I ended up with light colored oak cabinets, laminate counter tops and a granite composite sink. I re-used all major appliances. We did not replace our flooring.
I now love my kitchen because I have plenty of storage space and alot of counter space to use.
The one luxury was a tiled backsplash. But I used plain off white tiles (the cheapest ones Lowe's carries). I put them in a different pattern above the stove for interest.
Good luck. And shop around for the best price for everything.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Go to Home Depot and make an appointment with their kitchen planner OR call ahead to save yourself the trip.

When you go in for your consultation - have a few things ready:

* what you like about your kitchen
* what you hate about it
* print out images or rip out pages from a magazine of the things you think you like & would possibly want in your home
* a rough sketch of your kitchen space - as close to scale as possible and define whats in it - indicate where cupboards are, sink and appliances, windows and electrical outlets, where your dining table is etc
* measurements (rough) of your space, how long is each wall etc how tall are the cupboards
* potential budget you'd like to stick very close to

Having all this info, they can roughly draw it up for you in their computer system and make it look pretty. They have the samples in store and can show you what they will look like etc.

Then they will ask you if you wish to schedule a planner to come to your home and they will do the professional measurements for you. Home Depot hires local general contractors that they have tested and deemed certified to represent them. Though you are purchasing and paying Home Depot it could be "Uncle Bob's Contracting" that shows up and does the work (subcontractor) but its backed by the Home Depot guarantees.

Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts