Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies,

Since you're all so good at coming up with original and fun ideas, I was hoping you'd be able to help me come up with a name for my farm. Dh and I live on a 10 acre farm with an 1870s brick house, a HUGE red barn, and several other out-buildings. Other unique features of the place are that we have 2 topless silos covered in grapevines and a ton of oak trees. We live in a very flat area, and are about a 1/2 mile from the nearest river. We are surrounded by bean and corn fields.

I've been bugging dh since we moved in 1-1/2 years ago to think of a name, but he hasn't come up with one. I just always think it's so neat when a farm has a proper name.

Please help me name by little slice of heaven!

Wendy

·
27,948 Posts
HeavenOaks
Grapevine Farm
Slice of Heaven Farm

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Oak Glen
Oak Grove
Oak Hill
Oak View
Oak Ridge
Oak Dale

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I love dem oaks. :toothy:

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I don't know that I can help you name your farm, but I'll tell you how we named ours (and my parents named theirs)

My parents: We rented originally, even though they owned a small house. The rental house was sold and we were going to move into the house my parents owned- however, it burned to the ground 2 days before we moved in (we had moved a lot of our belongings already). My parents found their farm and we moved into the house before they actually closed on the deal. The name? Serendipity hills. Serendipity means the silver lining behind the clouds, and they feel that it took the house burning, for them to get an even better house and farm too.

Our place: My dh was diagnosed with ALS. We both had grown up on farms, but were living in town at the time. We decided to move back to a farm while he was still able to enjoy it. We had always yearned for a more simplistic life. So. . . . . our farmette is named Simplicity Meadow. Calm, serene and ours.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sunshine, what a great story. I'm glad you were all able to see the positive in some not so wonderful situations. I like the idea of Simplicity Meadows. I'm really trying to pare back our lifestyle, and I think the idea of a simpler life is exactly what I'm striving for.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions - we added 3 cows and 4 chickens to our brood today, so it really is becoming a "real" farm! Keep the great ideas coming!

Wendy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
With all the chickens running around here, I'm seriously considering "Chicken Sh*t Ranch", but I'm thinking the town may have something to say about that. But I'm sure a few folks would get a good laugh out of that :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts