Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's really hot out and I was looking for recipes featuring couscous.
Couscous is tiny Morroccan pasta and can be found in almost every grocery store in the international,pasta or health food section. You can buy it plain or already spiced. It's a wonderful side dish as all you have to do for a basic recipe is add boiling water and your spices and in 5 min. it's done. Here's a nice site I found.
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/couscouscorner/

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Thanks Darlene, I've always wanted to try couscous, but never have. :D

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Thanks Darlene, I love em, I bought about 15 boxes of them when they were clearanced out for 15c at Meijer. I use them to make my own Rice-a-roni, they brown fine and I like the fast way they cook..... They are good if you just cook them in a little buillion and add a bit of parsley.......

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Thanks Ladies, I have never tried them because I actually did not know how to cook them. I am going to give them a try though. I love fast and tasty dishes. :D

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
captclearance said:
Thanks Darlene, I love em, I bought about 15 boxes of them when they were clearanced out for 15c at Meijer. I use them to make my own Rice-a-roni, they brown fine and I like the fast way they cook..... They are good if you just cook them in a little buillion and add a bit of parsley.......
Thanks Lori.:) I made the lemon flavored one from the site I mentioned ,cutting way down on the pepper and it was good. Had to add a bit more water to moisten .:) Just one of those foods you didn't grow up with but can shake things(dinner) up a bit.
My fav at dinner tonight was the chicken that was rubbed with the special seasoning from last months baking club. The secret family recipe is out there for my special friends to try. :)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
cant wait to try that, also the tomato couscous sounds delicious for a hot summer night thanks Darlene! I can tell 2 days in bed have done wonders, I am feeling like eating again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bring Couscous all the time to work for lunch when I forget to make my lunch the night before. It's so fast in the microwave! If you have one of those pre-spiced boxes of couscous you just put the required amount of water with a tiny bit of olive oil and the spices in the microwave for 4 minutes, uncovered. Take it out, stir the couscous in and let sit COVERED for about 3-5 minutes. Open, fluff with fork and pack away in tupperware for lunch. I can do this in between getting dressed in the morning. Sometimes I throw in half a can of corn or peas or something similar. It also makes a great side dish if you want to make a quick dinner. Much quicker than rice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts