Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of taking a year off from work to get my health in check. I have had a few health issues this year that and I want to focus on those issues instead of stressing out at work everyday.

Here is the financial picture and you can tell me what you would do.

Income with just DH = $3820 a month (this is take home pay)
All our bills = $3000 a month for everything
There are a few things I can lower.

We have $68,886 in savings. I could fall back on it if I wanted too, but I don't. I like having a cushion.

Income for month if I worked 2 times a week = $4170
Income for month if I worked full-time at same job = $4920

We have one son left in high school that we are supporting. The middle son graduates in 3 weeks from his technical program and should "hopefully" find a job, so he will be able to care for himself.

What would you do? Work full-time, part-time, or take care of yourself? I have not fully decided yet and would like your thoughts.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Does "all our bills" include groceries and other 4 walls necessities?

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
do those bills include any consumer debt? If so, knock that out quickly, reduce the bills, and then take a year off.

or

If you can cut back to 2 days a week, would that help your health?

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greebo, yes it does. I have included everything that our family spends out of pocket for groceries, gas, school lunches, etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Considering this:
Income with just DH = $3820 a month (this is take home pay)
All our bills = $3000 a month for everything
There are a few things I can lower.

We have $68,886 in savings. I could fall back on it if I wanted too, but I don't. I like having a cushion.
and this:

Greebo, yes it does. I have included everything that our family spends out of pocket for groceries, gas, school lunches, etc.
You should still save $820 per month.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Go for it! Enjoy your good health!

Reactions: Mom23boys

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Are you stressed at work because it's a difficult environment (ex. hostile, emotionally draining, unmanageable workload), or is it just stressful to be working so much while caring for yourself and family?

If the situation at work isn't bad, I would go part-time. That way you keep your foot in the door if you're planning to go back later, but also have plenty of time off to take care of yourself. If the workplace itself is the cause of the stress, just take it off completely.

I would base this decision on what is best for your health, not your finances, as your husband's income is more than enough to cover your budget.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew you would have great advice and I just needed to make sure I wasn't about to make a huge mistake. I was thinking we should be ok, but I just needed to hear it from someone else. I am just nervous about taking that step. Even though I did not make a lot, every little bit helped.

Monkeywrangler, some of my stress comes from work and some of it comes from trying to balance everything in my life. I feel like I am carrying more than my load at work while some people stand around and watch. I tell myself that it is only because I have done it for 9-1/2 years and they expect it. I don't know what will happen when I leave. I worry about that too, but I need to take care of myself first.

·
Registered
479 Posts
As long as you feel your husband's job is stable and your marriage is in excellent shape (no fear of separation or divorce where you would need that income) then I would go for it. You seem to have a good emergency cushion, way better than most of us. Take care of yourself and your family.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Russ, it is in an interest savings account, not just a regular savings account. Do you have another suggestion?

Xtena, I have been married for 23-1/2 years and we have a great relationship. We took our vows seriously when we married and will be with each other to the end.

·
19,119 Posts
IMHO - your health comes first - and it looks as if you have everything covered!! Cannot wait to hear about your new healthy journey!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
If your worried about taking off completely and tapping in to your savings, work part-time, the pay isn't much different than full-time.. That gives you 5 days to concentrate on your health..

I'd have to say tho', the $820 a month extra should be fine to survive on..

·
Registered
742 Posts
We did something simular. I was struggling health wise and we were moving. My DH and I decided that would stay home and work on my health. I was home for about 6 months and then started working a low stress part time job (that was literally handed to me).
I was thinking of trying to either go back to school or full time work at the beginning of this year, but God had other plans. I am now a full time mom to 2 wonderful foster kids and I still have my low stress take my kids with me or work from home part time job.
I would say that if you can do it financially and need the break then do it. Taking a break from work may have saved my life.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hubby and I both retired very early (as my name says!) and we are so keen on having done that. Our income is low (CDs, mutual funds, some gov't. bonds, and mostly from a couple rental properties) but we have a lot of assets to fall back on. We prefer to live the frugal life on our own terms and not have a boss.! I would say quit working and try to enjoy life a bit more and take time for yourself. Just be prepared for the fact that it may be hard to reenter the workforce, depends what you do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts