Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just about had it with my employer! :pdoff: Over the last couple of years, we've discussed my ability to work from home on a full time basis. Up until the time I got pregnant, they indicated that this would be fine. Well, as soon as I got pregnant, they made it clear that they weren't "comfortable" with me working from home full time and the most they would allow was 2 days.

Since my daughter was born, I've worked from home 2 days a week and in the office 3, but they have been promising me since I first got pregnant that they would allow me to have access to the computer system from home. That still hasn't happened and my work is suffering. There aren't enough hours in the office for me to accomplish what I need to do because when I'm there, I'm constantly being bothered by others in the office with other work and problems. I have a "mole" in the office that basically told me they have no intention (and never did) of giving me access. I'm fuming! :pdoff:

My stupid boss is a LIAR and the thing that irks me even more is he doesn't have the guts to look me in the face and tell me the truth. I guess he thinks I'll just keep taking their crap and sticking around. I don't think so!

Right now, my SIL keeps my daughter 1 day a week for $50 and my mom and MIL keep her the other 2 days for free. I really want to look at the finances and see how it would affect us if I didn't work at all and became a stay-at-home mom full time (that's my dream). Right now, DH makes about $45,000 and I make about $30,000 gross. We both file 0. Is there a way to figure out how much we would save if DH changed his withholding and I stopped working altogether? Or if there's something I could do from home, that would be great too. I'm just fed up with my current situation. I don't want to be a door mat anymore and I want to do what's best for me and my family.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I really don't have much advice for you other than I can understand that you want to be home with your little one. There has to be some sort of tax withholding table or formula you can search for to let you know how much taxes would come out if he changed to 1. I would just google until I came across something. As far as you being able to stay home..well...how deeply in debt are you. Is there anything you can sell to help get rid of a payment; something you can do without. Do you have 2 vehicles with payments? If so would you be willing to sell one and get a "garage sale" car just for you to have to get around? Are you in lots of CC debt? If so then you may have to stick it out and snow ball your debts until you are at a better place financially to quit working. You may be able to have a HUGE garage sale and sell everything that's not nailed down and a necessity to pay off bills. this will in turn allow you to stay at home.

Please keep us posted and take care. I'm sure you will get loads more great advice soon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you have an accountant? He can punch your number in real quick, and give you an answer. They have all those tax programs just for this sort of thing.

If you don't have an accountant, you may be able to get a consultation with one for a small fee. They could help you consider things you might not be considering. Might be worth it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
After going around and around with my bosses for a couple of years about the same thing I finally quit. And, I was making more $$ than DH and carried the family insurance. But, emotionally I could not take the BS anymore. This was four years ago and two children. Now, finally my DH is earning about what your DH is. The withholding schedule for federal has really changed in the last few years, which we found out about last year. Below a certain income (I think 75,000) there are a lot of breaks. As long as I make less than $1000/year I count as two deductions. Then the child tax credit comes in...Basically, we no longer have any federal withholdings. It no longer makes any sense for me to work at all. My job is purely to get the most "bang for the buck."

Get someone to run the numbers for you - you may be surprised how much you lose by working at a job for $30,000.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I have some different thoughts on this. You have a ton of debt that I can see you are trying to pay off. That is great! Why don't you make it your goal to stay at home in 1 year or so. making $30,000 a year, you could pay off a huge chunk of your debt if you kept working. You have very little childcare costs, which is great. I know it must be stressful, but it will also be stressful to be at home with not enough money coming in to pay the bills, or get out of debt.

Why don't you try living off of your dh's salary alone and aside from the $50 childcare costs, start putting all of your pay towards your debt. This way, when you do start staying home, you will have much less money going out each month in bills. It sounds very stressful and I am sorry you are in this situation, but I see it is an opportunity to get rid of this debt, quickly so that then you can comfortably stay home.

Good luck! oh and definitely increase the number you are claiming, that means more money coming home with you to pay down your debt faster.

·
Licence to Kill
4,364 Posts
I like the idea of paying down for one year, then being a sahm...that would make you staying home permanently much more feasible...no major debts to make payments on sure helps loads! :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.