Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because gawl darn it I can make pie crust there is no way I'm store buying this stuff! I've been wanting for ages to just get brie and eat it, but hubby saids if we do that, it has to be special and I think brie in pastry (so not frugal!) is the way to go. If I'm buying the brie, I'm not buying the pastry! checking it out at puffpastry.com and let me know if you have a recipe I can use.

*SHUSH STOMACH!*

KB

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Puff pastry is so labor intensive I'd never make it. A box is, what, $4? So you'd use 1 sheet ($2) to wrap the brie, not that expensive.

In college I used to just eat it with crackers. And champagne.

Reactions: katybug

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I at least wanted to try. ;) Oh and I would totally just eat it with crackers, yum!

·
4,028 Posts
You can put the brie in a small baking dish, cover with a jam of your choice and bake it ... naked. I would then serve with sliced toasted baguette or crackers.

If you ever make puff pastry, let me know how it turns out. I've never seen it done without a rolling machine. Could you use a sheet of crescent roll pastry instead as a substitute?

·
Registered
501 Posts
You could always get a box of phyllo to use instead but you'd have to brush it with melted butter between the layers. Might be cheaper than the Pep. farm stuff but less labor intensive than making your own. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
How about using pillsbury crescent rolls instead? Just use possibly two rolls. One for the top, one for the bottom. Just unroll it and keep it as one sheet.

Will still seem "fancy" and special.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUICKEST PUFF PASTRY
Makes about 1 1⁄2 pounds of dough

2 cups unbleached, allpurpose flour (about 9 ounces)
20 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch dice (4 tablespoons kept separate)
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold tap water, plus a tablespoon more, if necessary

1. Place flour in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade; add the 4 tablespoons butter; pulse until butter is absorbed, about 10 to 12 pulses of 1 second each.

2. Add remaining butter; pulse once or twice to distribute. Dissolve salt in water and add to flour mixture; pulse 3 or 4 times, until dough just starts to form a rough ball — do not overprocess. If mixture remains very dry, add a teaspoon of water at a time and pulse again.

3. Turn dough onto floured work surface and shape into rough rectangle, then place on top of sheet of well-floured plastic wrap measuring at least 12-by-18 inches. Lightly flour top of dough and cover with another sheet of wrap. Press dough with rolling pin to flatten, then roll back and forth several times with rolling pin to make 12-by-18-inch rectangle of dough.

4. Peel away plastic wrap and invert dough onto floured work surface, long side facing you. Peel away second piece of wrap. Fold top third of dough down and bottom third up, to make 4-by-18-inch rectangle, then roll up dough from one end Press dough into square, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 1 hour, or until firm.

Have fun, works like a charm!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts