Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to get some ideas for baby shower favors. For my sisters I made homemade soaps and it ended up costing me close to $75 to make 50 of them. I now have to make/get favors for about 35 people and have really really limited funds. does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you have or can access chocolate molds in the shape of pacifiers, etc. you could make individual chocolates relatively cheap. Also, you can get single pieces of candy, wrapping them in pink, blue and yellow celephane (spelling). Your local dollar store is bound to have some neat things for dirt cheap.

If I can think of anything else, I'll post.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Hmmm. . . :

I'd go to the dollar store and purchase tiny baby bottles (1-2' decorative ones) and tie them to bag of candies.

Or make your own bath salts and put them in real baby bottles

·
Registered
814 Posts
For my cousin's baby shower (almost 3 years ago! Sniffle! hehe) I used empty baby food jars (given to me for free!) and filled them with Epsom salts (CHEAP for huge quantities!) and scented them with baby powder scented fragrance oil (you could really use any scent, I just liked that for the theme!)............ mixed that together, put some plain ribbon around the neck of the jar and printed out in black and white on some label paper a picture of a stork and then "Michelle's Baby Shower - July 18, 2004" and then on the back I put a little label saying something about using these to smell as fresh as a baby hehe

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
For my shower they did pretzel rods rolled in chocolate then nuts and sprinkles etc and pink lipglosses for the ladies, my cousin got a great deal on the gloss.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My family doesn't do party favors for showers. We buy enough gifts from the "only one dollar" store for each person that comes to the shower. Then we play games to earn the gifts. If someone wins more than one, (usually me, because I burn up the word games) I'll give my second gift to an elderly person or a child.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
When My Sister-In-Law had her baby shower, everyone recieved a tealight candle inside a babyfood jar with a note attached that said: "When you hear that our sweet baby girl Mia Caroline is coming or has already arrived, light this candle and say a prayer from you heart deep inside." They were wrapped in celephane and had a cute ribbon with the note attached...

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is what I did for my sisters baby shower... I bought small wallet size picture frames from the dollar store or discount store. Then, I printed a little insert for the frames (like where the picture goes) that had "Coming Soon! --Baby Jones-- Sometime in August 2004". Each in attendance got one, and when my sis sent out her baby announcements with wallet sized pics, the shower goers got to put their pic into the frame! The favors were a big hit, and cost me almost nothing. I think some of the frames that I bought were even 2 for 1!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You can get cheap wash cloths in pastel colors and make "boo boo bunnies". There's a way of folding them, tying them with simple white ribbon, and hot gluing on googly eyes and they look like a rabbit. When you (or someone else) has a boo boo, you slip a piece of ice in it so that while holding it, the washcloth soaks up the water from the ice. KWIM? I'm sure you could find a pattern on line for these. Goes along with the theme of multiplying like rabbits or the rabbit dying. Ha, ha! I just made that up. LOL

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
For my cousin's baby shower (almost 3 years ago! Sniffle! hehe) I used empty baby food jars (given to me for free!) and filled them with Epsom salts (CHEAP for huge quantities!) and scented them with baby powder scented fragrance oil (you could really use any scent, I just liked that for the theme!)............ mixed that together, put some plain ribbon around the neck of the jar and printed out in black and white on some label paper a picture of a stork and then "Michelle's Baby Shower - July 18, 2004" and then on the back I put a little label saying something about using these to smell as fresh as a baby hehe
We have a baby shower coming up soon at church and I love this idea! will get the ladies started on collecting baby food jars righ away. Where did you find the baby powder scented oil?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
For DD's baby shower we are doing the dipped pretzel rods with it's a boy ribbon tied around them. Our shower is coed with 90 people attending so it's something everyone can enjoy. I found buckets of them already dipped and wrapped at B. J.'s.

I like the boo boo bunny idea for a smaller gathering. You could stick a few candies in them for a double duty idea.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I made shaped soaps for my sister in laws shower. I just had a candy mold with the shapes of moons and stars and just made those.

For my shower we just did those dinner mints in a little cup, we used some plan netting and ribbon to have it secured. We bought little bottles to attach to the ribbon- it only cost about $15 for about 75 people.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are doing washcloth cupcakes and/or roses to use as centerpieces/favors for my sisters upcoming baby shower. I think I am going to buy dish washclothes though (who couldn't use another dishcloth?)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i saw somewhere a donut in a folded paper "oven" that said bun in the oven and the mom-to-be's ifnfo on it.

for my first kid everyone got a wallet sized frame that my sister wrote on with gold gel pen. my inlaws threw me a shower and gave out little "toy" ornaments painted wood shapes with ribbon and birth info on them

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
For my friends shower last spring, I caught tulips on sale for 50 cents each. If you check right now, you might be able to find some annuals on sale super cheap.

Then I took the pot it came in, placed it in a regular paper lunch bag. I printed out a sticker with the baby shower info, date etc. and put them on bags. I had also stamped the invites, so I put a stamp on the sticker that matched the invites (I think it was a baby bottle stamp that I got at Micheal's for a buck). Then I rolled the bag down and tied cheap curling ribbon around it to hold the bag to the pot, so the flower would show out the top.

Since they were perrennials, I had something on their about planting the flower in your own garden, and watching it grow and always remembering how the little girl has grown when you see that flower. It was cute and poetic...just don't remember how I worded it!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
oh, momto2boyz made me think, for christmas i baked bread "cupcakes" in tiny flower pots stuck a candy cane in them and wrapped them with plastic and ribbon. it was cheap cheap cheap. you could use a flower of some kind instead of a candy cane

1 - 18 of 18 Posts