Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so for the past 4 or 5 years, Julia has wanted to have mystery birthday parties. She loves to read mysteries, so we always set up some crime around the house with puzzle clues that the kids have to solve. Lots of work, but so worth it.

So, this year, she says "You know, I think I'm done with the mystery parties." I think "Whoo-hoo!" Then she says, "This year, I'd like to do a Mythology-themed party."

Huh?

So, I gotta come up with stuff to do at a 10-year olds Mythology-themed birthday party.

Help!

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Which one is her favorite?

I remember when my middle son was in 3rd grade . . he got mad at his teacher and called her Medusa. . . when I got called to the principal's office, she laughed . . said I told him he didn't even know what that meant. . . he informed her that it was a Greek mythology woman who was so ugly she turned men to stone. Then the teacher said I didn't know whether to be impressed that he knew, or angry that he knew! :D

So, which mythology "story" are you thinking?

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think she just wants to do Mythology in general as a theme. Gods/Goddesses, etc.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Hmmm --

send out invitations on parchment paper

get some huge boxes and make columns with "ivy" for decorations (open up the boxes and rolls the cardboard into huge tubes, then cover with white paper)

or drape some cheese cloth, sheer fabric around the room to make it look like a palace?

have them search for the Golden Fleece, or Holy Grail.

have a treasure chest of costume jewelry, gold chocolate or bubble gum coins, etc.

Uhmm . . . out of ideas for now -- will keep thinking.

·
Registered
379 Posts
umm...think "toga party"...and you might come up with a few ideas.

I'd have to re-read some mythology...to really give you good ideas.~LOL!

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Has she read the Percy Jackson books? If so, you could do a "Camp Half-Blood" type of thing. Decorate their own camp t-shirts, do projects and activities based off the challenges he faces in the books.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Don't forget to have ambrosia. The food of the gods. I have not idea what it was but remember a different kind of ambrosia which involved fruit salad, coconut flakes and mini marshmallows.

How about asking her what she means by mythology party. Maybe she has some ideas.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My 8 yr old son loves the "ology" books (Dragonology, pirateology, wizardology, etc....) There is also a "Mythology" book. That would make a great gift and also give you ideas for the party. The Percy Jackson theme would be fun too, as McD pointed out. The movie Percy Jackson and the Lightening Theif is on "On Demand" right now.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This sounds like such a great idea - keep us posted with your plans.
I think a royal feast for the Gods and Godesses
punch bowl , ivy draping
Having a game with the winner becoming Zeus - the head God

·
Registered
419 Posts
Figure out which mythology too. There are some cool stories from Greek/Roman as well as Norse if you stick with Western Culture. Then there are other mythologies, Native American, Hindu, etc. It could be fun trying to guess what people could come up with.

Good luck coming up with things.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
They could throw lightning bolts.....

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
You could have a costume contest as well.

Another thought would be to have them go on a quest of sorts. Think clash of the titans where they had to go find the witches, to figure out how to get them to give you information, to find out what would kill the cracken, to get to Hades, to find Medusa, to get her head, to go kill the Titan. You could set it up as a scavenger hunt for clues. You could make several sets of clues (riddle like) and the first one to get to the end and find the final paper wins.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.