Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to lose weight; however my budget is VERY tight and my family won't always like the same type of food I should be having. They eat healthy, but I need to eat even healthier and low sodium. I need cheap healthy food ideas (and here healthy food can be more pricey so ideas from scratch would be best) - I love things like salad, soups, stews, casseroles etc, but I would probably be the only one eating most of it - so any ideas that sound like I would like I would likely make up and then freeze for a later meal. Crockpot ideas would be good too - although I'll take any ideas I can get!! Remember these recipes and ideas have to be suitable for those with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. It's really important that I can find these recipes and ideas and that they are cheap enough that I can stick to it. Thanks for any help!

:eek:uch:

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Find the Reader's Digest Lower Your Blood Pressure Cookbook at your library. It helped me...I didn't use it so much for recipes as finding ways to adapt the stuff I already made.

For example, cheddar cheese has a lot of salt & fat, and is one of our mainstays here. Montery jack cheese has a lot less, so frequently these days, if I want something like a potato w/cheese, I use jack or a combo of the two cheeses.

Also, there's another cookbook Fast & Low by Stillman. Her husband came up with high blood pressure/heart disease and she had to change the way she cooked. I've been using that cookbook for years. Things I remember: Banana ice cream, no extra sugar, no fat, it's frozen fruit. Pasta & marjoram (don't use powdered!) with olive oil, yummy, low fat, no salt (eat this without parmesan).

Judi

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
fruit,veg,lean white meats. the simpler the better. Only drink water. 28# so far since May 2010. Steam,raw not fried. Write down what your eating,excercise daily. 7" off the old waistline so far. Get enough rest. Keep stress to a minimum. Eat w/ the tv OFF. 4 pants sizes. You can do this. Comejoin us at lose-a-pound-a-week.

·
27,948 Posts
Walking can do wonders, just keep moving & don't have to start out doing mega miles. Anything you do is a plus! Kudos to you for taking positive steps for a healthier you! :tay:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
we had to do that last year as dh had high cholesterol and couldnt do the pills

we cut out all red meat for about 6 mths! we eat lots of garlic and onions. we eat beans. we eat either grilled or roasted veggies w/ every dinner. whole wheat pasta if you must. no garlic bread. no pizza. no white pasta or rice. lots of brown rice. oatmeal for brkfst - just plain or w/ a bit of fresh berries on top. lots and lots of water. apples for snack.

dh lost about 20lbs in a short period of time!

we also eat alot of fish simply prepared w/ frsh lemon juice, lots of pepper and frsh garlic and onions.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Lower the fat (eat lean meat, no fried food) and salt (don't put salt in food when cooking, take the salt shaker off the table), drink lots of water, and start walking.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We have been eating lots of beans, steamed veggies, grilled veggies and soups. Last night I made a soup with onion, cabbage, kale, zucchini and celery. Even the kids liked it. Right now, my guys only get meat when they eat out.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Watch that high cholesterol ! I didn't and had a stoke. Now I take medicine but I might have avoided that had I eaten properly.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else has been suggesting. Don't cook with salt, remove it from your fave recipes.

If you buy beef/chicken stock in a can/box/granule form - make it yourself and freeze in an ice cube tray or yoghurt container full and use only as much as needed. Of course hm will taste better and you'll know whats in it. Use herbs & spices to flavour your food. In fact, avoid all processed foods if you can.

Eat fresh or frozen fruits/veggie (the kind w/o butter/cheese or packed in sugar water/syrup) vs canned. If using any canned beans of any sort - let soak in cold water to help further reduce sodium. Eat whole grains as well ie no white rice/bread etc.

The water thing - I cant stress enough how much people don't realize that water does a lot more then taste like nothing.

And keep moving. Do laps around your house and up and down the stairs for x minutes at a time. Wear a pedometer and try to get in 10K worth of steps be it while cleaning around the house or purposely trying to walk around the house for exercise.

These are things I'm trying to do all of this now so I can live a healthier life later on. (exercise more and try to cook from scratch) I've seen too many people close to me who purposely do not take care of themselves. Good for you for focusing on yourself.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good for you for making a change! Changes like this are easiest for me done in stages. I started by eliminating all high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils. I then upped the whole grains, fruits, and vegis. We never eat fried foods. Everything is fresh, baked, grilled or steamed. I don't have to avoid salt so no suggestions there, but I'd add other seasonings instead. It is hard. Forgive yourself if you mess up. Good luck!

·
Registered
746 Posts
In addition to the other suggestions, believe it or not...

Metamucil, 3 times a day. You can do the caplets or powder. Me, I do the powder in an 8 oz glass of water. Leaves me feeling full after having it. I use it 3 times a day. It really does work. My cholesterol wasn't bad, but using it lowered the bad stuff and got the good stuff in a better place. Just something to consider.

good luck to you. High BP and cholesterol is no fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.