Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm making a roast in the crockpot.

I remember that my Grandma used to make a quick, easy gravy to go with her roast by using the roast water and flour. However, when I tried that last week, well...let's just say it didn't work so well.

Does anyone have any sort of easy (when I say easy, I mean that I don't want to have to go buy anything or work to hard) way to make gravy for the roast by using the crockpot water and flour or something? I feel like I was missing something.

I'd appreciate your help! :)

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I usually mix corn starch w/ cold water then add it to boiling stock/meat drippings. Stir and return to a boil. It should thicken up nicely.

If you want to use flour, you could make a roux by using equal parts butter & flour (usually 1/4 cup). Melt the butter, add the flour, mix until smooth, cook until it browns a little, then add the the stock/drippings slowly while stirring. Bring to a boil while stirring. It will thicken as it boils.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I'd add that you will want to take the water out of the Cp and boil it on the stove when you are doing this.

good luck

:)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Next time you are out, look for a thing that looks like a measuring cup but the spout starts on the bottom of the cup ~ it's a gravy separator and it works like a charm getting the fat out. I can't stand a load of grease in my gravy. I know some people can get the fat out without using one, but I can't, LOL!

I also make the gravy as above but use equal parts of flour and water, mixed really well. Let the gravy simmer on the stove for a bit to get rid of that flour taste.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
It took me ages to figure out gravy when I started cooking. This is what I found out. If you dump flour into your hot drippings or cooking liquid you get a lumpy mess. No amount of stirring will fix it.

You can mix flour with cold water ... I used to put some of each in a glass and put my hand over it and shake it really really hard. pour that mixture (straining out lumps) into your hot liquid, whisk it good, and it will thicken as it cooks. You want the flour/water mix to be about as thick as cream when you mix it.

You can do the same thing with corn starch, and it has the advantage of being less likely to lump up on you.

The drawback to these two is that they taste awful, or they have no taste at all. You have essentially made paste.

It will taste better if you make a roux like Yankeemom suggested. Cooking the butter and flour gives it a toasty yummy flavor that will much improve your gravy.

What I prefer to do for roasts and the like is to cook extra vegetables. Then I take about a cup of the cooked down veg and puree it with the pan drippings and cooking liquid and make a sauce that way. No need to add any flour, and it is much healthier for you.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
My roast gravy is honestly the best thing I've ever had.

The trick is to use cornstarch and cold water, not flour. The flour will make the gravy too heavy and too grainy. You have to have the drippings from the roast at about medium heat so that's it's doing a slight rolling boil. You also have to stir it well as you're adding the mixture.

I can give you my secret roast recipe and I swear, you'll never want another roast again. :D It makes great gravy that you can save for later and use on your french fries, if you want.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I bring the liquid to a boil and I take a tuppeware with a lid and add about a cup of water and a couple TBLS of flour and shake until the lumps are gone and then slowly stir in the boiling liquid. (of course the amount to add depends on the liquid from the meat and how thick you like it)

Or you could use cornstarch. Yes to the S&P.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the advice, ladies!

Here's what I did:

Used 1/2 a can of chicken broth
Added 3 tablespoons of flour
Added 2 tablespoons of roast drippings
Pinch of pepper (we love pepper)

Stirred it at low heat in a pot on the stove.

It was DELISH! :clap:

Phewf!

One problem solved...on to the next! :)

Reactions: mommynurse

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thank you for all the advice, ladies!

Here's what I did:

Used 1/2 a can of chicken broth
Added 3 tablespoons of flour
Added 2 tablespoons of roast drippings
Pinch of pepper (we love pepper)

Stirred it at low heat in a pot on the stove.

It was DELISH! :clap:

Phewf!

One problem solved...on to the next! :)

I grew up in the country, but still can't make decent gravy. This sounds easy enough even for me! Thanks!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I mix cornstarch and cold water really good. Add pepper and pour it into the drippings that are in a separate pot that is on the stove warming up. Stir constantly with a whisk until thick. Works every time for me. :)

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I find that the cornstarch method makes a thinner gravy - slightly thicker then 'au jus' and the flour makes a thicker gravy.

I grew up on the thicker kind so I wouldn't dare think of using the cornstarch method...however in stir fry's...the cornstarch method is how you get a thinner creamy sauce ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
I also do the the cold water/cornstarch mix. Also, if I've added veggies to the roast while cooking, I take an immersion blender to the pot & zip away till it's the thickness I'd like.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i like theidea of immerision blndng the veggies! especially the celery tops and leaves, garlic and onion! yum. will have to try that next time.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I find that the cornstarch method makes a thinner gravy - slightly thicker then 'au jus' and the flour makes a thicker gravy.

That's what I get when I don't use enough corn starch ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts