Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a big ham on sale. Going to have plain ham today but need recipes to use up the rest of it. TIA

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Corn broccoli ham casserole
1 can corn, drained
1 can cream corn
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar
4 eggs, beaten
3 C frozen broccoli, thaw & chop
1 small onion, minced
2/3 C milk
1 sleeve saltine crackers, crushed
2 T margarine, melted
1 C ham, diced
Preheat oven to 350*. Combine first 7 ingredients, add ham & 3/4 C saltine crumbs. Pour into 13x9 inch casserole dish. Combine remaining crumbs w/ margarine and use to top casserole. Bake uncovered 40 mins or until firm. 6-8 servings

-----------------------------------

Black Bean & Ham Casserole (from bisquick.com)
1 T vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 C chopped red/green bell peppers
2 cans (15oz each) black beans, undrained
2 C cubed fully cooked ham
2 t chili powder
1 1/2 C original bisquick (I use reduced fat)
1/3 C cornmeal
2/3 C milk
1/2 C shredded cheddar
Heat oil in 4 qt dutch oven (big covered pan that is oven and stovetop safe) over medium heat. Cook onions & peppers, stirring occassionally until tender. Stir in beans, ham, and 1 tsp of chili powder. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low.
Stir bisquick, cornmeal, milk & remaining tsp of chili powder in medium bowl until soft dough forms. Drop by 6 spoonfuls onto simmering bean mixture (think dumplings). Cook uncovered 10 minutes. Cover & cook 8 minutes longer. Sprink w/ cheese. Cover & cook 2 minutes longer or until cheese melts.

---------------------------------

Scalloped potatoes w/ ham
6 lg. potatoes
1 cup ham
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk
Salt
Pepper
1/2 cup cheese
Thinly slice potatoes and dice ham. Layer them in a 9- by 13- by 2-inch pan, sprayed with non-stik spray. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the potatoes and ham as you layer them.
In a heavy saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles just a bit. Cook for about 2 minutes. Pour over potato & ham mixture, sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil & bake 45-60 mins at 350*F

----------------------

Pineapple Ham Casserole
1 can (20oz) pineapple tidbits
1/2 C mayonaisse (full fat, not reduced or no fat)
1 t salt
1 t prepared mustard
1/4 t pepper
3 C cooked rice
2 C fully cooked, cubed ham
1 C chopped green pepper
1 1/2 C (6oz) shredded swiss cheese, divided
1/3 C chopped onion
Drain the pineapple, reserving 1/2 C juice; set pineapple aside. In a large bow, combine the mayo, salt, mustard, pepper, and reserved pineapple juice; mix well. Fold in rice, ham, green pepper, 1 C swiss cheese, onion, and pineapple.
Transfer to a greast 2qt baking dish. Cover and bake at 350* for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered for 10mins or until heated through and the cheese is melted. 6 servings
**I skip the green pepper & onion

·
27,948 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
We always have a ham salad when I make ham.

1 box of any type of noodles ( seashell, twisty, wagon wheels) cooked per package drained and rinsed with cool water
Chopped cold ham (amount varies with how much ham I want in salad or how much is leftover)
1 can peas drained
From this point on you can use the item or not up to your families taste and what you have around
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 bunch chopped celery
sliced radishes
cubes of cheddar cheese or leftover shredded cheese
drained jarred pimentos
chopped boiled egg (after Easter good use for boiled eggs)
Now back to must uses
Mayo or salad dressing or ranch dressing to your taste mixture of 2 or more okay too
salt and pepper to taste
sprinkle of paparika
Parsley either dried or fresh

Mix all together and chill

Ham and bean soup is also a favorite here when we have ham.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I add it to potato salad to carry in my lunch. There is always good ol' ham sandwiches (favorite around our house). When cooking, I dice it and add it to cheese and macaroni. Add it to scrambled eggs or hash browns. We make fried rice and rice noodles with thin sliced and chopped pieces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts