Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD has health insurance which we provide for now. She is getting married in May and her feature husband is a farmer and he does not have any health insurance. My question is: Can anyone tell me the best insurance company they can buy on their own. I am open to hear any other idea. Thank you for input.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
It depends on what state they will live in and if that state has a buy-in program (In MA, for those who can't afford/not offered ins at work can buy it through the state and it varies according to income and family size)

Reactions: homemaker66

·
Registered
581 Posts
I retired early (too young for Medicare) and had to buy private health insurance. Warning: Private health insurance is NOT CHEAP!!
I have a policy with United Healthcare.
Another company that had reasonable rates when I was shopping around was Humana.
Do an internet search for "private health insurance".
That will give you an idea of what's available.

·
Registered
352 Posts
We are self insured through Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. For a healthy family of 5, without maternity coverage, it costs us a little under $1000 a month. It hurts. It was $750ish, but went up this past year. If you find a great deal somewhere let us know!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Does the company you are with now allow people to buy private policies? Since she's already insured through them it may be a possiblity. Private insurance is very, very expensive...when I was looking I found coverage for right around $260 but it had an extremely high deductible ($5000) and a 20/80 copay after that...needless to say I still don't have coverage. I can get a lot of medical care for $260 a month & $5000...

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i would go to your states insurance website. there are alot of states that have special plans for Farmers which are under a large umbrella which lowers the rates.

if not, i would contact a broker to shop the plans for her.

good luck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Check out EHealthInsurance.com to get a general idea of what is available for each state. New York State had only one company with only one plan that allowed individuals to buy in to it. Out West, (UT, WY, ID, AZ, not CA) there were lots more options with variations in coverage for some pretty decent prices.

Part of the problem is that each state has different mandates on what MUST be part of coverage. New York has tons of mandates, therefore, fewer choices and higher prices for individuals. Out West, not as many, therefore, more choices with prices that might fit the budget.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all of the replies it was a great deal of help. We will keep searching and try to come up with a plan without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I had been paying my own health for 30 years. We struggled paying premiums. The premiums were the same for probably 27 years then every year they went up. I would never be w/o health ins. I would choose a very high deductible if I couldn't afford the reasonable deductible premiums because you never know about your health or an accident. Its a whole cheaper to pay a 5000 - 10000 deductible than a $100,000 hospital bill AND ruin your credit. Just something to think about.

And to answer the original post. Right now if I had to pay my own blue cross I would have to pay $500 and that is just basic and no prescription coverage. Also if you are young blue cross offers a policy that is more reasonable.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Private insurance in NY is very expensive.
After extensive research, the only affordable options are Healthy NY, and going through a Chamber of Commerce group plan.

Healthy NY is decent coverage if you qualify. (eligibility requirements on on their website)

The affordable Chamber of Commerce plans are mostly high deductible plans, but they offer a range of options.

·
Registered
24 Posts
DH is losing his job and health insurance. I'm self-employed. I spent 4 hrs on the phone today so far with private health insurance companies. BCBS won't accept us b/c of pre-existing conditions. So that's something to check on. Right now we have to decide between Aetna and Humana...but neither offer ANY maternity coverage and we are currently trying to conceive. ...........It's been a long morning.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
DH is losing his job and health insurance. I'm self-employed. I spent 4 hrs on the phone today so far with private health insurance companies. BCBS won't accept us b/c of pre-existing conditions. So that's something to check on. Right now we have to decide between Aetna and Humana...but neither offer ANY maternity coverage and we are currently trying to conceive. ...........It's been a long morning.
I don't know if the preexisting thing varies by state, but I have always heard that blue cross didn't refuse you because of that. Has anyone else heard this? I was just surprised by what they told you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
BCBS said I could go on 6 month temporary insurance, but that it would count as a gap in coverage (whole 63 day rule...got screwed by that one a few years ago). I think the biggest issue is that I'm currently in treatment for the pre-existing condition. I'm in physical therapy twice a month and they said the underwriters would decline me because of that. I also have PCOS but that condition wasn't a problem because I take no medications and am not being treated for it. Was encouraged to re-apply after PT is over....but i'm 2 1/2 years in..and it's not looking like it will end any time soon.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We are still looking into many options but I am sure things will workout all in due time. I wish the best for everyone who is paying for their own insurance I know it is not easy. Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I thought that the goverment made them drop the preexesiting deal a while back..I know it is different from state to state...

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm curious, did you look into the chamber of commerce plans? I'm not sure what part of NY you are in, but several of our local chamber of commerce groups offer these plans so I imagine they are offered throughout NY. These plans are really are the only way for a self-employed individual who earns too much for healthy NY to get affordable insurance - although a friend who is on one of these plans tells me her rates just went up.

Also, Empire BCBS offers an "affordable" hospital-only plan, but the coverage is very restrictive.

And a few salespeople tried to get me into one of those insurance discount programs, which all seem like a scam.

Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts