Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ladies. I hope I am asking this in the correct section.
I am in the market for a new mixer. I would like to try my hand at making my own pizza crusts & bread on occasion. I have a hand held mixer, and tried mixing bread dough but it didn't do well and I could hear I was staining the motor. I looked at the KitchenAid stand mixers, but geesh...they are pricey. Are they worth the expense? Any suggestions on a mixer that would work but with a smaller price tag? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I could not live without my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. I've had mine for almost 12 years and have never had a problem. They are a workhorse. My mom has had hers for 30 years or so and never has had a problem. She also received her MIL's Kitchen Aid and I can't even tell you how old that one is. They have attachments for bread dough and also for whipping cream, etc. You can also get a meat grinder attachment and a pasta maker attachment. Well, as you can tell, I love mine. It might be more expensive now, but you probably won't ever have to replace it. JMHO...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Positively worth every cent!!!! I have had mine over 20 yrs and I use the heck out of it. The only attachment I have is the meat grinder, I buy my beef by the side and some of the cuts I don't care for I grind into gr. beef.
I think the machine is going to outlive me! A very good investment. The only thing I had to replace on it was the paddle.
I wore the finish off it!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Your only as good as your tools!!!!!!!!!!!!! If my Kitchen Aid ever went out I'd be out buying another...I agree it is worth every penny...I do however, think they should have named it Kitchen MAID!!! Hehe, Katy

·
27,948 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I LOVE my KA. Lifesaver!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I totally agree, Kitchen Aids are awesome!! I received from dh as a gift. I would have never spent that much, but it is the best. I have had it for years and use it all the time. Love it!!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I'm on the Kitchen Aid band wagon also. I used to burn up a hand mixer a year. Then one year DH asked what I'd like for my birthday and I took him to the appliance store and showed him the green KA that has graced my counter for the last 12 years! It ended up being a combination birthday and Mother's Day gift. Well worth the cost compared to replacing hand held ones every year or so.
If your looking to keep cost down you might try second hand and thrift stores. Also estate sales! Here in my area alot of estate sales happen in the homes of older ladies you'd be pretty sure to find one in good condition. Is there a small appliance shop in your area? They may have one second hand. Or take a chance and post to freeecycle that your looking for one. If you were closer to me I'd advise you to hit my local fleamarket that has a booth with lots of second hand small appliances. Also I'd put the word out to family and friends that your looking for one, perhaps someone gots one that they'd part with or knows someone with one. Otherwise they are well worth the money spent.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I also have a KA and love it.........wouldn't know what to do without it!! Definately pricey but worth every single penny!!!!!:)

G

·
0 Posts
I know it sounds like the KA is unfrugal. But remember- being frugal doesn't mean being cheap. It means.. choosing where to spend your money wisely. Buying a KA is a great investment in your frugal lifestyle.

You will not have to replace it in your lifetime. That's frugal.
You will make your own bread, dough- that's frugal.
If you find you don't use it- you can sell it- it's worth its weight in steel. (Can't say gold- that's a fortune.)
It's a classic- it won't go out of style- that's frugal

Go ahead- spend the $$ on it. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
KA is the beat but I have to put money away for that, its $279.00 here when its on sale. And yes their worth the money, they never break down.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I have this one:
http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=STAND MIXERS&categoryId=310&productId=488

Got it on Amazon on sale.

I had the absolute cheapest hand mixer for years. Getting my KA made me about as happy as moving into our house. lol

I was frustrated with the bowl lift vs. tilt head, but now I'm used to it and don't even think about it. Plus, I don't have a good kitchen spot for a tilt head, so not sure what I was thinking. It's just with the bowl lift, removing the beaters was awkward for me when I first tried it.

I waited quite a long time before purchasing one, but am glad I did. I really enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Need another plug for the KA?

I got one for Christmas and I use it several times a week. Some of it's uses:

*mixing & kneading bread dough
*mixing three loaves at a time of quick bread (zucchini bread, banana bread, etc)
*mixing three pounds of ground beef for meatballs or meat loaf
*mixing pancake batter
*beating scrambled eggs

and so on. Now, you may think it's silly to use the big ole KA for scrambled eggs, but here's my reasoning: I have to dirty a bowl and some sort of mixing utensil anyway, so I may as well dirty the KA parts as any other and use it's powerful motor to get the job done right and fast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also have and love my kitchen aid mixer but when I make pizza dough or
biscuits or pie crust I always use my cuisinart food processor. It makes short work out of smaller jobs like that.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thank you for all the responses. I am not surprised to see how many love their KitchenAid mixers. I had done some research online and couldn't find not one bad remark about them. I have the hand mixer (it's more for cake mixes, eggs, ect.) and I love it. I have $40 Kohls Cash to spend starting tomorrow so I think I will put that toward a new KA stand mixer. Oh, now to decide which color to pick. :)
Again, thanks. I feel better spending the money on one knowing so many here love theirs. Happy Mixing!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I also love my kitchen aid mixer. We have the meat grinder attachment to grind up our venison - it's worth teh money!!

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I will be the odd man out, lol. I have a Sunbeam Mixmaster with dough blades and regular blades. It works fine for me. It was inherited from my MIL and I've not had a problem, but then, I don't use it that much. I'd say if you have a large family and you use a mixer a lot (weekly) then buy the KA but if you just need something for once in a while, the Sunbeam Mixmaster will work fine.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I will have to invest in a KA myself them. I killed my hand-held making bread!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Fritzie said:
I also have and love my kitchen aid mixer but when I make pizza dough or
biscuits or pie crust I always use my cuisinart food processor. It makes short work out of smaller jobs like that.
I needed to read this. Gabe bought me a food processor and it sits unused and I really should use it more often. I never thought to use it for those types of jobs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts