Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say..... I. AM. NOT. IN. THE. LEAST. BIT. CREATIVE.
With that being said, I need help in planning a Halloween classroom party for my dd's class. She is the 5th grade. We have about 45 minutes total.

I'm looking for game ideas, maybe a super easy craft. I've been looking at different websites, but nothing really jumps out at me. I'm looking for things you have done in the past that was easy and the kids enjoyed doing.

There is no money to be used....so all treats, drinks, craft supplies come from volunteers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
For many years when my kids were in elementary school DH and I would throw HUGE Halloween parties for the kids. When I say huge, I mean huge - guest lists averaged 120 kids.

A few things we did that were not very expensive and a hit were:

*Filled a jar with Candy Corn, bubble gum eyeballs, or some other sweet treat and had the kids guess how many of the item was in the jar. Winner got the jar of candy.

*Make a Mummy game: divide into groups of four, one person is the mummy the other three are the wrappers. Give each group a roll of toilet paper and they have to wrap their mummy the fastest. First group to use the entire roll of TP to wrap their mummy wins. Works best if you have the mummy stand in the middle of the wrappers and instruct the wrappers they must wrap the mummy by passing the roll from one person to the next and not just one person running circles around the mummy with the TP.

Fun food idea: Place chips and dips in bowls on the. Put small plastic spiders, skulls and rats up on the bowls. Bags of these can be found at Dollar Tree.

Here are a few links to printables for things like color pages, paper games, crosswords etc...Halloween Printables - Halloween Printables for Kids - Kaboose.com

Needle in a Haystack game
We took lots of hay, hid lots of candy and a dowel in it. Kids rummaged through the haystack, getting lots of candy and the one who found the dowel (the needle) got a special prize. Of course, this game may be too difficult to do in a school setting unless moved outside. But is a huge hit with kids.

Make Rice Crispy treats, dip in chocolate, let harden. then drizzle white chocolate over them to look like spider webs.

Spooky music in the background goes a long way in making a party festive. So does dimmed lights with a strobe light flickering in the room.

Musical chairs to the song Monster Mash.

A simple cookie cake and ice cream with chips, paired with some spooky music and a simple craft makes 10 year olds very happy. They are easy to please when it comes to classroom parties. After all, #1 - they are getting a party instead of doing classwork and #2 there is food and candy involved which is always a winner with kids.

Every class party I ever organized came strictly from parental volunteers. Send a note home through the teacher now to the parents. Ask who would like to send cups, plates, napkins, chips, dip, donate a dollar or two to a cookie cake and/or craft items. Most parents of kids this age want to be involved and help out.

*Don't over schedule them. Eating their treats will take about twenty minutes or so, craft about 15 and a game about 10. Don't try to do everything. The kids will enjoy just sitting at their desk, munching their treats and talking to their friends for a few minutes while a mixed CD of spooky music plays.

Reactions: SDMom

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For many years when my kids were in elementary school DH and I would throw HUGE Halloween parties for the kids. When I say huge, I mean huge - guest lists averaged 120 kids.
How FUN!!! Sounds like an absolute blast!! I bet your kids have some wonderful memories from those parties!

Thank you for your "tried & true" ideas....you've given me lots to think on. Love the idea of the "needle in the haystack". Definately an outside game, but the kids would have a blast....great idea!!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
How about pin the broom on the witch? Bobbing for apples, the always gross eye balls in spaghetti, you can also have a piece of paper with the outline of a pumpkin that kids can create their own jack-o-latern. See who can make the scariest sound.

Sounds like a fun time. Let us know what you come up with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.