Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the leavings from a mouse today, first time in 3 yrs here.. Can't afford to go buy anything right now..

Does anyone have any "homemade" potions??

·
Registered
906 Posts
We did put our "bug guy" in charge of little "Ms Minnie" that got into our garage.

Before that we did clean out the garage, remove anything that would make it comfy for her (dog food which she loved to eat, papers which became her nest...). While cleaning out our garage, I decided to have hubby move a cabinet that was there and behold, we found Ms Minnie's family. After removing that from the garage, Ms Minnie left.

Do make sure holes around pipes, dryer vents and such are plugged up. Eliminate cardboard boxes and papers - I'm not a fan of plastic but this is one place where I believe they have their purpose. Secure pet food. I also use ammonia or odoban to clean the garage floor with (works inside too).

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Do you have any peppermint oil (or extract in the spice cupboard?) and cotton balls or pads? Or even kleenex or scraps of cloth?

Mice don't like peppermint we've found (after Great Mouse War VIII at our cabin, I think it was...:dead:) We read this somewhere online. Put the peppermint on a cotton ball, scrap of cloth, kleenex, or whatever.... and put it right where you thiink they might be getting in. Or the MANY places they might be getting in. ;)

If you don't know, put the pep. oil/extract on counters, and places you don't want them to go, for now.

Do you still have any old traps around? Set them with a tiny piece of apple. We used to hear peanut butter, but that didn't work for us. APPLE works. They LURVE apples. :apple:

Reactions: Syn D

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I live in an old Victorian surrounded by fields and woods. It's getting cold, and unwelcome guests occasionally arrive. Buy Bounce fabric softener sheets. Only the Original scent. Put them in the cabinets and drawers, the pantry etc.Your guests will be offended at the smell and leave.( You can cut the sheets into halves to save money. It will still help.)

Reactions: Syn D and onencgirl

·
Registered
53 Posts
We have this problem as well. Little things are getting up on my counters and that just so grosses me out.

We have this battle every year and I still can't figure out where they are getting in.

Will be getting the peppermint out to see if that works and will be trying to put some Great Stuff behind the counters to see if that helps keep them off and around the sink drain where it goes through the floor.

So sick of mice...so sick!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Set them out a dish of instant mashed potato flakes. Dirt cheap at any dollar store.

Make sure there is no water accessible to them indoors.

Mice gorge on the dry flakes and get real thirsty so they go looking for water......

add water to potato flakes and what happens? Mousie goes pop. ;) It works really well and is non toxic so no worries about the neighbors cat finding the bodies.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've tried so many things (peppermint on cotton balls, sticky traps, no-kill traps). Nothing worked except old-fashioned snap traps baited with bacon. It REALLY works. Cheap and effective.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
You can buy spring traps for about $1 at Dollar General and discount stores. They usually come in a pack of 4. You have to kill them or they will just come back. Make sure your cabinets, counters, drawers, and floors are very clean. Keep trash cans closed tightly as well as dry foods. I have found they love Ramen noodles and chocolate chips,:angry: so I bought deep storage bins to put these items in. Just because you haven't opened something does'nt mean the little monster won't eat it's way to it. Good luck and let us know when you get him/her/ and most likely them.

Cat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.