Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay everyone, I need your help!!!

I am having major dental work soon (and I do mean major) Friends told me not to worry because I can just eat soup since I won't be able to use a straw or even chew.

Soup. How exciting... FOR AT LEAST NINE WEEKS!!!!

Toss those suggestions my way. I am looking at it as 9 weeks of weight loss... but I don't want to keel over in the process.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Malt O Meal hot cereal
Mashed potatoes and gravy (not so good for weight loss)
pudding and jello
fruit smoothies made in the blender - take fruit (frozen is good), add juice and/or yogurt, and blend it up. Yummy!

Once, while working in a diner, a customer who had their jaws wired shut ordered the following:

a waffle with syrup
two over easy eggs
a sausage patty
black coffee

They had me mix it up on the milkshake machine, adding coffee until it was the right consistency to go through a straw. It looked vile and disgusting, but I suppose it had the flavor of all the ingredients.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Malt O Meal hot cereal
pudding and jello
fruit smoothies made in the blender - take fruit (frozen is good), add juice and/or yogurt, and blend it up. Yummy!

Once, while working in a diner, a customer who had their jaws wired shut ordered the following:

a waffle with syrup
two over easy eggs
a sausage patty
black coffee

They had me mix it up on the milkshake machine, adding coffee until it was the right consistency to go through a straw. It looked vile and disgusting, but I suppose it had the flavor of all the ingredients.
Well Deb, I hope he tipped you well, cause that's one of the grossest things I have ever heard,YUCK!!!!!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
don't think I haven't thought about just blending whatever I make for my family... but... I can't use a straw either :lol:

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Either overboiling fruits and veggies so you can just mush them in between the roof of your mouth and tongue? At least you still get nutrients and its kinda solid compared to puree.

Poached eggs? Pablum? Over boiled rice (think congee) or pasta in broth? Think of what babies eat, they dont chew at first right? I know it sounds kinda bad, downgrading from a tasty meal to baby food like mush but at least you still are able to get the flavours and enjoy them.

I so agree that the pureed big man breakky was a bit grosse - Id have soup over that any day!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Apple sauce, tapioca, rice with milk, pudding, mashed sweet potaotes, milk toast (sounds yucky but can be quite tasty with cinnamon and nutmeg). Look at baby foods. I had a freind who had her jaw wired shut from an accident and she ate baby foods.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am so sorry you have to have major dental work done. My suggestions would be baked potato (the soft inside with butter and sour cream on top), mashed potato. Pudding, applesauce, cold cereal that has become soggy in milk (rice krispies), I think I would also blend or puree pasta and sauce (heartier mush), veggies and fruits. Knowing me I would also probably eat baby food and maybe drink an energy drink like boost or ensure to make sure I was feeling full enough.

·
4,028 Posts
okay everyone, I need your help!!!

I am having major dental work soon (and I do mean major) Friends told me not to worry because I can just eat soup since I won't be able to use a straw or even chew.

So are you looking at foods that need to be pourable? or spoonable?

If you are wired and can't chew then I would recommend puree-ing whatever you make your family for dinner. Keep chicken, beef and veggie stocks and broths on hand to dilute to the consistancy you need. If it is difficult to get enough protein in that way you can always add some whey or egg protein.

I'll be crying for you. Dental surgery is never fun.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
There is a fantastic banana-tapioca dessert that Gerber makes. I could eat it morning noon and night.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Carnation Instant Breakfast Drink. We used to give this to our patients who hated ensure or boost.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I have a great recipe for carrot soup, split pea soup, and butternut squash soup. These are all recipes I have made on several occasions and have all gotten the thumbs up from my personal chef. :chef: Because they're all pureed, they'll be easy to eat, they'll have lots of vitamins and such because they're all vegetables, and they're easy to prepare.

Carrot Soup

1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cups carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
4 to 6 tbsp. margarine
3 c. water
1 1/2 c. cream or milk
2 tsp. curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste.

Melt butter in large saucepan. Saute oninos for five minutes. Add carrots. Saute another five minutes. Add water. Cook for twenty minutes, or until carrots are soft.

Puree in blender. Return to pan and whisk in cream or milk. Add seasonings.

NOTE: On several occasions, I have made this with carrots that I'd froze. I boiled and mashed the carrots, then put them away in servings of 3 cups. Then I blend them up and add the cream. It looks weird at first, as the cream seperates with the frozen carrots. But once you've got it heated up through, it looks and tastes just fine.

Butternut Squash Soup

Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 2-pound butternut squash, halved lengthwise, seeded
2 cups (about) canned low-salt chicken broth
Pinch of grated nutmeg
1 cup nonfat milk
Nonfat sour cream (optional)
Chopped fresh chives or green onions (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with vegetable oil spray. Place squash cut side down in prepared dish. Pierce each squash half several times with toothpick or skewer. Bake until squash is tender, about 45 minutes.

Using large spoon, scrape squash into processor; discard peel. Add 1 1/2 cups broth and nutmeg and puree until smooth. Transfer puree to heavy large saucepan. Mix in milk and enough broth to thin to desired consistency. Stir soup over medium heat until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with dollop of sour cream and chives, if desired.

NOTE: Don't add too much curry! Did that once before and it was way too spicy for me :)smooch: didn't mind so much, but he agreed that it was too spicy).

Easy Split Pea Soup

2 tbsp. margarine
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 c. chopped peeled carrots
2 tsp. dried leaf marjoram
1 1/2 c. green split peas
8 c. water

Melt butter over medium heat in large pot. Add onions and carrots. Saute for 8 minutes. Add peas, marjoram and water. Bring to a boil.

Reduce to medium-low. Partially cover, simmer 1 hour and 10 minutes. Puree soup in blender. Reheat as needed.

NOTE: This recipe also calls for pork hocks, but because you can't eat solid foods, I didn't add them in. For anyone else who is interested in this recipe, the hocks go in after the first 8 minutes of cooking the carrots and onions. Saute for another minute, then add water and bring to a boil.

Before puree-ing soup, take out the pork and set aside. After puree-ing soup, chop up the pork and put it back into the pot with the soup.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone... I have another appt soon (have to call Tuesday for pre-surgical consult) and then... 'it' happens. What scares me most about all of this is how I will look while I am re-cooping. I know I will be swollen and bruised for a while.
I am collecting all your suggestions as I go. I just didn't want to get stuck eating grits for 9 weeks :lol: I have to be careful what I do eat... (add in to the ever growing list of things... ) I had stomach surgery in 99 and still can't swallow anything bigger than a vitamin without it getting stuck and causing dumping syndrome (involentary bulemia) so... that is something I am having to keep in my mind as I gather up all your ideas... I don't wan't to be splitting my stitches...

And in the event you were curious... I am having 32 teeth removed... yes... at once... the Tooth Fairy better give gift cards!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Malt O Meal hot cereal
pudding and jello

a waffle with syrup
two over easy eggs
a sausage patty
black coffee

Try being a waitress and seeing someone order this exact same meal, every saturday morning, cutting it up, mixing it all together (besides the coffee) and eating it all mixed into slop. I think I'd rather see it in a glass!

When my grandfather had all his teeth pulled and was waiting for his dentures, he survived off of salisbury steak, soft casseroles, cut up pasta, potatoes, etc.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had dental work last Thursday and I'll have to have another installment of it in a few months! My "soft foods" were really mushy bananas, oatmeal, milkshakes (with a spoon of course), applesauce, and a friend made some potato soup for me :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Oh and I wanted to add - I'll be thinking of you/praying for you! That's not going to be fun. :( I had one tooth removed and a sinus lift/bone graft and I'll be getting a single implant and then a crown in the following months. I'm just being a big baby about it, I guess! LOL!

((((hugs)))))

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How long do you have to wait after the surgery until you can get implants or dentures?
Well, they say at least 9 weeks before I can get the impression done and from there, I don't know, I say 3 months in total. I have to wait until all the teeth are removed before my insurance company would even consider paying for the next step.

Luckily, my friend is the dental hygenist and she knows all the docs/dentists involved and I will be in good hands.

Just to convince the insurance company that a face full of gums is not good...

And - thanks to everyone who has offered ideas... it sure does beat having the same ole' that whole time.

My appt is May 14th and I will know after then when the surgical date is.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you don't mind sharing, what causes all the teeth to need to be extracted? I've been putting off going to the dentist for a while now (I'm a big chicken) and now I'm scared! LOL

If you'd rather not say, that's cool.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We went the baby food route when I had my jaw wired shut. Mashed potatoes (with cheese or gravy was great). I had tons of pureed soups. Ensure was a good friend of mine as well - lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts