Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is graduating in about one month. She was accepted ac Columbia College in Chicage, it is a school of journalism. I am very worried that she will go unprepared in terms of "stuff" necessary for survival. She will definately live in a dorm, and she has requsted a single room, but to share the apartment with a couple other girls.

I am thinking about having a "dorm Shower". My dh thinks that it is a stupid idea, ds said it is liek begging...??? I don't think it is any different than a baby shower, bridal shower, but more like a graduation party with a theme.

I am on such a tight budget that a full-fledged BBQ is out of the question, I just cant afford it. But I am starting to think about what I can afford.

Here is where I need your help, first of all, does this seem like an acceptable idea?

Do you have any frugal ideas?

TIA

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do it !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need ideas, cheap ones!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Robin, I think it is a great idea. I don't think it is like begging at all. Most of the people that would be invited to the Dorm Shower would be planning to buy a graduation gift I am sure and this way they can have a theme to make their purchases for. People have housewarming parties all the time and moving into a dorm is moving into her first house for her.

You can probably get her some dorm items at yard sales between now and then too.

This may be a little too extreme but...if you have a college near you, watch the dumpster areas at the end of the semester. Kids will throw away all sorts of things and you can find some great things just by watching.

Good luck and tell your DD Congratulations for me on her graduation and on her acceptance to college. I am proud of her!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Make some appetizers out of all of that bargain cheese you got.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i would do finger sandwiches, dips and veggies, and a cake for dessert. for my graduation party all we had was the cake for food.
i think it's a good idea to have a theme for it. you're dd will get the things she needs to start school instead of things that look nice, but aren't really practical. i have a leather zippered binder that i haven't used since i went job hunting 7 years ago. i think she can register at bed bath and beyond for dorm room stuff.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I'm not sure what kinds of ideas you need but here's what i"m thinking...

Maybe get a cheapy blank journal, then pass it around at the party and have everyone put in their own 'tips for surving the first year of college' ?

Show home movies that highlight things your daughter did growing up? Or put together a photo album of her life. Are you into scrapbooking? Maybe you could give everyone paper, and some stickers, photos and other things that's be used...and they could help put together a scrapbook album to take with her?

Ask people at the party something like "who knows my daughter best?"make up a list of questions of oddball things they might know/remember about her...have a small prize for the one who does the best?

I've seen cute poems (on invitations) for baby showers that request things like baby books or babyfood in place of getting a card, maybe you could do something like that, just for dorm stuff? Paper/pens/highlighters/quarters for laundry?

make some brownies or cake if you can get those free/cheap
Get a big bag of potato's real cheap and make some of those potato skin appetizers like you'd get at a greasy spoon place?
homemade pizza?
Take n pake pizza?
Maybe a pasta buffet? Spaggetti/ravioli/tortellini/macaroni?

I know you could make her an awesome gift from things you can get cheap. Snack food would be great, laundry detergent, bandaids, shampoo's, shavers...you'll do great :)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
We don't really have things like that here that I'm aware of, so it's hard to make any suggestions but it sounds a Great idea. I'd really like to come! :D

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I think it's a wonderful idea and all the ideas mentioned are perfect!! Katy is right....people have housewarming parties all the time so this will be fine. I think registering at Target or somewhere like that is a great idea too!!!

·
27,948 Posts
Everyone has come up with great ideas already. I just wanted to say that I think this is a wonderful idea and am sending a big Congratulations to your dd.:clap:

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I love the idea of a theme like this-how many class of 2003 items can the girl really use anyway! I would just make sure that you clearly explain the concept in the invitation- instead of the typical graduation party, we want to start her off right , think of something practical, the one tip or item you wish someone would have given you, etc. You can always go with college theme foods, kinda like "get used to it" , mac and cheese, ramen noodles, microwave popcorn, ice tea from a canister etc. The stuff college kids live on. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for great ideas!!! This is so exciting !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts