Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be sure that I have accounted for everything that I could possibly consume in a year's time.

:deal: So, I've listed out what I have/use and the quantities which I use in a year (estimates). I did not include quantities here but will if you want me to, in case I have sorely underestimated something.

Have I missed anything?

This is what I typically have in my pantry/ bathroom / stockpile/ storage. I keep my meals super simple and I don't wear makeup so I don't need face wash, etc..

Consumable HBA
:bath:
toothpaste
Tooth brush
Dental floss
rinse
Shampoo
conditioner
soap
Deoderant
Moisturizing lotion
Sunblock
TP
PT
Trash bags
Zip lock sandwich
Zip lock gallon
Aluminum foil
Saran wrap
Pads
tampons
DW detergent
dish detergent
laundry deterg
dryer sheets
floor cleaner/wood
Vinegar
SS cleaner
wrapping paper
Scotch tape
hairspray
bleach
all purpose cleaner
Sponges
Bday cards
Holiday cards
Petroleum jelly
Nailpolish remover
Nail polish
Consumable dry and canned goods
:stir:
Flour
Sugar
Baking soda
Baking powder
Bread flour
wheat flour
dried milk
Cake mixes
dried egg whites
Salt
corn meal
rice
beans
PB
Jelly
oatmeal
soup
jello
pudding
crackers
yeast
canned veggies
canned fruit
stuffing
cranberry sauce
gravy mixes
Fahita mixes
Pasta
Pasta sauce
crushed tomatoes
Coffee
Tea
Olive oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Confectionary sugar
Brown sugar
walnuts
almonds
spices
mustard
ketsup
mayo
BBQ sauce
Salad dressing
Beef broth
Chicken broth
Couscous

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
No herbs?

I make various mixes for things like cakes mixes, Bisquick (infinite uses for that stuff!), cream soup mix, brownie mix, and other stuff. But for lots of bang for your buck, you might want to think about making your own seasoning mixes such as the fajita mix you mentioned, taco seasoning mix, etc. That's if you keep a wide variety of herbs and spices on hand, of course. If you're having to buy expensive ingredients then maybe not. If you look at the ingredients on the pre-packaged mixes, the first ingredient in all of them is SALT. That's all well and good if you like paying huge bucks for something that mostly contains cheap salt, but if not, then HM is the way to go. I also like HM seasoning mixes because I can adjust seasonings to our taste.

If you have room in your freezer, broth is easy to make from veggie scraps and bones, and it's free, and also salt free. (Check the sodium content on canned broth sometime, even so-called reduced sodium broth. Terrible.) I save carrot peels, onion skins, celery scraps, anything that will freeze well and seems like it would taste good in broth, and store the bag in the freezer till I have enough. Then I cook a turkey, take the meat off the carcass, and put that and the veggie scraps in about three gallons of water and simmer it for an hour or two. Cool, strain through cheesecloth, put in freezer containers in the amounts you're likely to use, and presto, free broth! The broth requires almost no hands-on time, so you can multi-task while it simmers.

Not what you asked, I know. I couldn't stop myself, sorry. :D

You can freeze peanut butter, which is handy if you hit a great sale.

I somehow ended up with three bottles of molasses a couple years ago, and to use it up we've been making our own brown sugar. Even when the molasses is gone, I think we'll keep doing that. It takes less storage, and then we don't end up with hardened brown sugar. Plus, we like the taste of molasses so tend to add a little extra, yum! To make brown sugar, use white sugar in the amount called for in the recipe, and add 1 T. molasses per cup of sugar, or to taste. Simple! Cost is about the same as buying brown sugar, I think, or maybe just slightly less.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SD, excellent ideas. Whyyyyyy didn't I think of that with the broth? I was using boullion cubes or powder broth.

I don't have a deep freezer - just a my refrigerator one. which is kind of large for a freezer. But I can certainly store broth in serving sizes no problem.

Molasses! I forgot about that. and I have heard about making brown sugar with molasses. I use one of those stones to keep it moist.

I have a book called.. Cheaper and Better from Nancy Birnes Cheaper and Better: Homemade Alternatives: Nancy Birnes: 9780060960834: Amazon.com: Books . She has a boatload of secret recipies for convenience foods. I'm sure fahita mix is in there. And taco seasoning. etc. I should take a look at that book.

I barely used the book because I don't use the convenience foods anyway. Except for the fahita mix. However, Cricket is good at making those seasoning mixes and I bet she'd be willing to share some so I can spice things up a bit.

I do have spices but I didn't list the ~100 out. I just said 'spices' which includes herbs. :D I'm lazy.

Thanks again. you're awesome!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Thanks.

If you try a mix recipe, make a single-use batch first if possible just to see if you like it. That way you won't get stuck with a big batch you don't like, and then you can adjust seasonings on the next batch or try a completely different recipe. Just Google for whatever mix you want and you'll most likely turn up several recipes for it.

If you buy the heavy freezer bags, pint size, you can put broth in those, remove the air, seal, and lay flat in a cake pan (in case of leakage) until frozen. The broth would take up the least space then. A pint equals a can of broth in any recipe, or close enough.

Have you priced egg whites vs. whole eggs? You could use the egg yolks in baking or in dog food.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you priced egg whites vs. whole eggs? You could use the egg yolks in baking or in dog food.
okay.. so I was on this .. 'the world's gonna end' tear for a while .. and I purchased these egg whites in case we don't have clean eggs to eat. I use the whole egg. Now, I keep the egg whites just in case I don't have an egg.

It was a silly panic of mine that when I look back at it, it came on suddenly and disappeared just as quick.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I see. I have some egg whites around, too. I bought them for camping and then went "why?" I don't use egg whites by themselves, almost never, so certainly don't need them in the camper where space is so limited.

I worked at an egg processing plant when I was in high school. If you knew what was in powdered eggs, you'd never want to eat them! It took me decades to get over it enough to buy them for camping! The room where the egg whites were dried on trays was called the White House. Whole eggs were dried in a huge drier in another part of the plant. Now you know more than you ever wanted to about powdered eggs.

I want to try drying my own eggs at some point. But I seldom use them while camping, but instead stock them in a small container just in case I forget to bring fresh eggs. I've been working on the same container for about twelve years now, so maybe it's not worth learning to dry them myself, now that I think about it.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree.. I never even opened the container yet and it's been years. lol

I was thinking.. I might take a bit of savings and purchase what I think I need for the year.
except for perishables, obviously. And then see if I can make it the year through with what I estimated I could live on.

But after I thought about it a bit - I think it would be better to catch the consumables at rock bottom prices rather than just go and purchase at full price - for the sake of having it for a year. I'll just keep my eye out for the sales and coupons.

Still no spending this month though.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HONEY!!! yes!!! thank you! see.. I knew if I can get some heads together, this list will be complete in no time.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Took a quick peek in my pantry to see if I saw anything that you didn't have listed.......

baking cocoa (I have a couple of canisters of Hershey's)
chocolate chips (I have semi sweet, milk chocolate, white chocolate......you name it, if it is a chip I have it!)
vanilla extract and other extracts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you a chocoholic??? lol!

choc chips are good to have on hand.. and I do believe I have baking cocoa - but didn't put it on the list.

Reactions: sabrelvssammy

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I make my own vanilla. Vanilla beans are super cheap on eBay. The vodka and coconut rum I make the vanilla with, not so much.

Have you taken a mental trip down the grocery aisles? I do that sometimes if I'm trying to think of what I need. First aisle, salad dressings, produce, specialty meats, etc. Second aisle, condiments, coffees, juice, honey, syrup, etc. Third aisle, canned veggies, dry beans, canned beans, Asian and Mexican foods, pasta, rice, tomato sauce, SPAM, etc. But we have small stores so it's easier to remember what all's in them. It does help jog my memory though. Do you have old, itemized receipts you could look at?

I'm in favor of buying at lower prices. We seldom buy foods not on special. Why do you want a year's supply of stuff right now, vs. picking it up over time? But of course everyone has different ideas and reasons for doing things, so I'm just being a busybody.

We also have an impressive baking chip collection. We store them in the meat keeper drawer in the bottom of our fridge. We tried keeping meat in there but always forgot about it. Not good. But it's great for chips. All bought on sale, of course. They keep indefinitely.

Do you use canned milk for anything? We make ice cream with it and usually have some on hand. Right now, we have a lot on hand because we got it for 4/$1, Carnation 12 oz. cans. Couldn't pass that up, so bought two cases. It's also good in place of cream in some recipes.

Was pasta on your list?

If you have a whole foods store handy, that's a good place to buy spices, herbs, yeast, and other items in bulk. Some stores are way expensive, but some are much less expensive than the grocery store, so you'd have to compare prices to see if it's a deal to shop there or not. Try to stay away from the pineapple/chocolate crack though.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I see one if you use it...tomato sauce. I say that as we use it a lot...sometimes more than others. Just used my last can in fact.

I don't see marinades on there if you use them. I use them a lot. I'm not going to spend a ton of time on making them myself when I can buy them for a $1.50 unless it's not very time consuming. Just being honest.

I see cake mixes on there but no Brownie mixes. Do you ever do those?
Breading mixes?

I also saw you have crackers. I've never in 4 years had any luck with keeping crackers and them still being "good" more than a very few months. Maybe 3? Taste stale and I don't like them in the freezer. But that could be me...yuck. I buy ahead but not for long term.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I was writing up my list too... then decided, I'll just shop at your house :lol:

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I make marinades. I don't find it time consuming. I use bottled dressing as marinade, too. Especially dressings we buy and don't like on salads. For some reason, we've always like the loser dressing as marinade and never had a failure with any of it.

I make salad dressings too and need to get back to doing that. Much cheaper and healthier.

I know you gave up toilet paper but do you need to stock some for others in your household?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I make my own vanilla. Vanilla beans are super cheap on eBay. The vodka and coconut rum I make the vanilla with, not so much.

I'm liking the vodka and coconut rum though. ;)

Have you taken a mental trip down the grocery aisles? I do that sometimes if I'm trying to think of what I need. First aisle, salad dressings, produce, specialty meats, etc. Second aisle, condiments, coffees, juice, honey, syrup, etc. Third aisle, canned veggies, dry beans, canned beans, Asian and Mexican foods, pasta, rice, tomato sauce, SPAM, etc. But we have small stores so it's easier to remember what all's in them. It does help jog my memory though. Do you have old, itemized receipts you could look at?

It's been so long since I've been in a grocery store - because DD2 has been here for 2 yrs and she does the shopping. She's moving out soon - so I"m gearing up for her departure.

I'm in favor of buying at lower prices. We seldom buy foods not on special. Why do you want a year's supply of stuff right now, vs. picking it up over time? But of course everyone has different ideas and reasons for doing things, so I'm just being a busybody.

So I don't have to spend a dime for the next year. Very enticing for me. Although, I think saving at rock bottom prices is a smarter thing to do

We also have an impressive baking chip collection. We store them in the meat keeper drawer in the bottom of our fridge. We tried keeping meat in there but always forgot about it. Not good. But it's great for chips. All bought on sale, of course. They keep indefinitely.

Is that what that bottom drawer is for? Thank you! I might be dipping into it too much if I see it all the time.

Do you use canned milk for anything? We make ice cream with it and usually have some on hand. Right now, we have a lot on hand because we got it for 4/$1, Carnation 12 oz. cans. Couldn't pass that up, so bought two cases. It's also good in place of cream in some recipes.

I think canned milk for pumpkin pie, if I remember correctly. EXCELLENt DEAL!! sheesh!

Was pasta on your list?

yes

If you have a whole foods store handy, that's a good place to buy spices, herbs, yeast, and other items in bulk. Some stores are way expensive, but some are much less expensive than the grocery store, so you'd have to compare prices to see if it's a deal to shop there or not. Try to stay away from the pineapple/chocolate crack though.

Yes, I do and that's where I go to buy the loose bulk stuff. It is cheaper - amazingly considering it's WF - "hurt your budget, WF". what is the pinapple chocolate crack? is that a treat you delve into? lol

Occasionally, WF will have a pretty good sale on something I enjoy and will spend the extra to get it. But the last time I was there - several years ago - I vowed to never go back.

There had a HUGE display at the entrance. Goldfishes of sorts. 2/$7 or something. I picked up two.. and when I came around to the aisle I checked it again - and I was saving a whole $.09!!!! Forget that! I thought that was so deceptive. I was not happy at all. $.09.. like that's a sale that should put an item on big display at the entrance. sheesh!

Anyway.. I ramble on.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The chocolate pineapple crack (okay, it's only me that calls it crack) is dehydrated pineapple dipped in dark chocolate. I'm not a fan of either dried fruit or dark chocolate, but dang that stuff is addicting! I should make my own. I think it's about $9/pound at the store. It comes in little bitty teeny bags. I limit myself to one and put it in the freezer, so I tend to forget about it and don't eat it all at once. Then I just have a small piece every now and then, or we take it camping.

Another thing the food co-op has we love is those sesame sticks. They're really expensive too, so I started making my own. Bad, bad.

It's a darn good thing that store is fifty miles away.

The coconut rum vanilla adds another layer of very subtle flavor to cookies and stuff. Really good. We use Bacardi Gold rum and Smirnoff vodka, not the most expensive stuff but not the cheapest either. Vanilla is stupid-simple to make and keeps forever. I think we have about a gallon on hand right now, assorted flavors.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh god that's funny SD! ... I'm addicted to chocolate and had to give it up for weight loss. (Lose a pound a week) and it's helping.

Once I have one piece.. it's over!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts