Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my sewing machine. It knots up by the bobbin, I have rewind the bobbin a few times, change the thread, used different fabric, and still no luck. Not sure what would have could of happen to it. I don't want to take it in to have it fix, but if push becomes shove, then I have no reason not to. TIA.

·
Registered
742 Posts
My moms machine did that a lot and it ended up being the bobbin tension. The repair consisted of a new bobbin casing.
I would try adjusting the bobbin tension and if that doesn't work, you may want to invest in a new bobbin casing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will try that tomorrow. I hope thats the problem so I can get some presents done. I know not to wait until 3 1/2 weeks before I need them. I will let you know.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
If you have your book, they usually show you the different scenerios. They will tell you what to do if the bottom of the stitching is too loose or too tight or if the top is when you sew.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Make sure the upper thread is threaded through the loopers properly. I tend to get jams if it's come off one of the hooks and isn't feeding right.

Also make sure your bobbin case is clean. If you've sewn a lot, lint will build up around it.

It never hurts to put in a new sharp needle. They are cheap.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Before you go and change your bobbin tension, just try cleaning the machine first. It most likely has lots of lint in it. Here are some instructions on how to do it. http://www.ehow.com/how_4544269_clean-oil-sewing-machine.html

After you oil it, if you do, thread it with white thread and using a light colored fabric, sew for a bit. You will find that your white thread will be gray! Keep sewing until all the excess oil is gone and your thread is coming out white.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I hope you get it fixed.......nothing more frustrating that sewing machine trouble when you are in the mood to sew.

The FIRST thing I do with any trouble is RE-THREAD the machine.

The second thing, with certain machines, is make sure the bobbin in unwinding in the correct direction. Usually - USUALLY - on most machines the thread and bobbin should be UNWINDING in a counter clockwise direction.

You didn't say what type of machine it was - my Singer was a DEMON if you didn't get it threaded just right - though you couldn't put the bobbin in wrong.

If it is an electronic machine they can be DEVILS if you don't have good thread in it........or - if you are trying to mix types of thread - or using OLD thread. The cheap dollar store thread just won't do it - nor will the cheap $1 spools from Walmart.

·
2,688 Posts
Thread was my thought too. If it is old or cheap, some machines just plain don't like it.

What is your machine and model, btw ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I took the machine out and started working with it it was fine, and I was almost done working on my sons blanket it started jamming up. I did not get to it yet , and its a singer zigzag machine. Old, yes but it was working fine before :dis:, Thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reporting back, I cleaned and changed the needle. It seems to be running fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you all so much for everything.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Good luck.........if the blanket is flannel or fleece they both produce GOBS of lint......might want to clean the bobbin area really well........meaning taking out any part that you can in the bobbin area for cleaning.

Hope you can keep on sewing!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts