Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my cats are bored with winter. They normally love to look out the windows, but there aren't even many squirrels to watch at this time of year. One of my cats likes to play fetch with a toy mouse, which involves me throwing the mouse, and then he fetches it and drops it at my feet or on the keyboard for me to throw it again. I'm getting really tired of this game, after throwing it about 30 times today (not an exaggeration!). My other cat loves to play with a string, which involves me running around with the string... and I'm tired of that game also. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a cat toy that isn't too expensive and that the cats can play with by themselves. (I already built a cat tree for them, but they use that for scratching and napping.)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Foil balls, boxes, paper bags....my cats play pretty much with anything. Tie some stuff that will dangle from your cat tree for them for play with. I am drawing a blank on anything else. But hope this helps. :)

Reactions: RaineyDaye

·
Registered
719 Posts
My kitten will play with anything. He loves newspaper balls crumpled up, and also likes just to play in a pile of newspaper that has been unfolded. I took a box that someone shipped Xmas presents to us in and cut a square hole in the top, big enough for him to jump through, and then a few triangular "flaps" on the bottom that I poked through to the inside. He loves those. And a port-hole on one side near the top. He plays in that box more than he plays with the condo we just bought him LOL. He also loves bathroom tissue tubes and anything made out of that crinkly plastic-type wrap. The only downside: My house looks like I threw trash everywhere....:D

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I left out some open pages of newspaper last night for the cat to play on. Was awoken early this morning while she played with the paper.

Once in a while I will take a paper bag from the grocery store. I have one cat that just loves paper bags. Used clean socks with some cat nip in it also can be fun for the cat. One cat liked a mouse that was attached to a plastic spring. You then hung the spring on a door knob. She would grab the mouse and let it fly in the air. I did have to remove it before going to bed because she like to play at night also.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Cats love anything shiny! My cat loves my jewelery so tie some shiny ribbon onto a stick or dowel rod and then play with her

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Large paper grocery bags, newspaper tents... one of the best we had was a large "pillowcase" of bubble wrap that came around something we bought. It was just crinkly enough to excite them, and they loved to lay on it. Put a toy inside the layers for endless fun.

If you have hard flooring... bottle caps and the rings that come around milk jugs... ping pong balls...

But it sounds like your cat wants to play with *you*.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
mine love to chase nuts in their shell around the wood floors. right now they have a walnut, along with newspaper and boxes, (they love the large ones from sams.) Their favorite is the laser pointer.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Attempt to do a project. Any project. They'll come running to help.:kitty:

Have any matchbox cars? They are super cheap, can find them at the dollar store or Goodwill.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have a harder time trying to figure out how to get our cat to realize that certain things aren't toys. She'll play with just about anything.

foil balls
empty boxes
foil balls in empty boxes
toilet paper tubes
foil balls in toilet paper tubes
foil balls in toilet paper tubes in empty boxes
strings hanging from door handles
plastic golf balls

Get a piece of wood, a coil of wire, and a laser pointer. Attach the coiled wire to the wood, the laser pointer to the wire, and stick in a corner so the laser light hits the walls. Laser chasing with no human interaction.

·
4,028 Posts
I used to take an old shoe string and tie it to my ankle. The cats would follow me every step trying to catch it (just be careful backing up). I also put catnip in an old unmatched sock and let them go after it for a while.... they love it and it gives them some mellow time and interaction with each other (my two cats don't often play together). My boys also love the string and wand toys and that will keep them occupied - until my dogs join us.

What about a rubber band gun? My cat would fetch rubber bands only... no other toy would work. It was a great game until I found them chewing and trying to eat the bands... so that game needs some supervision and picking up afterward. :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the great ideas! I've tried the boxes and paper bags. I've had cats that loved to play in them, but the cats I have now are afraid of boxes and bags. (One was a cat that was drop-off cat, so maybe he was dumped in a box. The other cat is just very timid.) I loved the video of the two cats playing in the boxes. I love cats!!!
The foil ball seems to be a hit with my cat that likes to fetch.... now he has started to bring me the foil balls to throw, so I guess he just loves to fetch... How can I refuse, since he is such a sweetheart, and my arms need the workout?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Get a piece of wood, a coil of wire, and a laser pointer. Attach the coiled wire to the wood, the laser pointer to the wire, and stick in a corner so the laser light hits the walls. Laser chasing with no human interaction.
You have a very frugal cat, mndtrp.

Be careful with this one. Some animals are sensitive to quick light movements like the TV or chasing a flashlight beam. My brother's dog has seizures from the flashlight and watching TV. Yeah. He watches the animal shows. You'd have to meet my brother to understand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.