Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dd LOVES pigs and wants a pig room. We've built a loft bed so far that looks sort of "barn-ish." I want her room to be cute, but not too babyish. She's 9 and I don't want her to outgrow the room in a couple of years. I also don't want the room to be too much like a farm or barn.

I guess I'm looking for ideas to incorporate pigs/pink, etc. without feeling like I've walked into the barn. Any ideas?

·
4,028 Posts
You could make the walls a more teen like pink with glazed stripes or a chair rail with a different shade or pattern below. Then use the accessories to keep the pig theme for her.

You might be able to bring the pig theme out in home made curtains and pillow covers that your dd can help make. She can take pride in her contribution and may even keep her room cleaner. LOL A latch hook rug of a pig would be a nice project for her as well. A comfortor cover or light blanket with pigs could cover the bedding and be changed as her tastes change.

Perhaps a peel and stick type of decoration that can be removed when she tires of it or out grows it in a few years. Or,

A canvas and frame on the wall may allow for a display of pig things without overflowing into the entire room and when it needs to be changed, it will only be the things inside the frame that you have to worry about.

Pink and black is still a hot color combination that can be found in fabric with girly things and motifs like shoes, lipsticks, etc. So when those preteen years hit..... you won't need to change the walls.

Have fun with the project!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
maybe a girly pink/green plaid (hence barnish) curtain with some pig applique sewn on the bottom it. those can be easily swapped out. i would paint the room a soft green then get maybe some pig fleece and make floor pillows or make some piggy pillows out of pink fleece.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good ideas, ladies! Keep 'em coming!!

I like the idea of painting the room a color that can carry over to her preteen/teen years. Really good ideas for things that can be changed easily!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
i read in a baby/toddler book that could apply to any age. basically u paint the walls whatever color is from thier favorite thing, if they want a character thing then just buy one thing, keep other decorations in something similar. one of the examples they gave was thomas the train. it said that they had little train stuff everywhere but had the lamp (i think thats what they did for thomas) as thomas. with merrick i plan on making his room as the night sky when we get a place with 2 or more bedrooms. basically the walls will be painted a kinda dark blue then we will hang glow in the dark stars and moons, his blanket and sheet will be a lighter blue.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi Tator,

I was thinking about your DD room: How about starting with the color, try finding a really light pink that she really likes then take it into a paint shop and have it matched........maybe when you start out paint just one wall, it can be the accent wall.....

Then as others have mentioned do the rest of the room in the basic color, "Pink" you can get rugs, blankets, curtains.........then just add a few or all of her collection of pigs into the room.....But, since you are using a basic color theme, she could use it all the way thru.

I would suggest watching the DIY channell to get some really good idea's also.

leezza : )

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
What came to my mind is a feature wall ina blue with sponged clouds. And putting up small glass shelves, and collect a variety of piggie banks from the thrift stores and garage sales to display on the shelves. This could be swapped out for what ever she wants when she's a little older. This theme could be when pigs fly...lol.

And of course the bed could have some fleece pillows or throw with pigs on it.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I'd probably do most of the room in denim (will carry over to teen years really well). Then add the pig items as accents that can be changed quickly and easily.

My dd is all about the Pink Panther. We still did her walls in blue, then just added black sheets with pink throw pillows -- she has a few stuffed pink panther items, and a poster to make the room her "theme"

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I saw a room that was painted a pale shade of green. On one wall, they then attached a wooden fence. You could do the same and let her have a few pigs painted on the wall or perhaps just "stuck " on. As she gets older the fence could hold hats, shoes, jewerly or whatever. Or just take it on down

1 - 9 of 9 Posts